Noisy modulator exhaust

I had an interesting defect reported today. The customer has two brand new trailers which are plainly within warranty. Apparently when the EBS modulator valve exhausts as the handbrake is released the noise is ‘too loud’. I have never had this one before. I am all for keeping my customers happy, but not if that means I end up paying for the parts because the warranty claim is rejected, I can just see the manufacturers laughing their socks off over this one so I am a bit wary about ringing up.

Has anyone else ever come across this? all I can think of is renewing the exhaust port silencers, but is there such a thing as a quieter one? so unless something is broken how am i going to tell that there is something wrong by sight? I have checked the delivery pressures from the units but that is all since with no second pair of hands I haven’t heard it myself. Haldex EB+3 2S 2M.

My FODEN is very loud it sounds like a 2 tone air horn .

Punchy Dan:
My FODEN is very loud it sounds like a 2 tone air horn .

Yeah, yeah Dan. My THORNEYCROFT blows off like the Flying Scotsman on acid.

See you and raise you lad.

(Did Thorneys have air brakes?)

My old man used to tell me about how he towed them around Europe with his SCAMMEL PIONEER in '44/'45, “canvas cab, flat out at 22mph, you youngsters don’t know you’re born”
Ca plus change, - - - - - - - -

cav551:
I had an interesting defect reported today. The customer has two brand new trailers which are plainly within warranty. Apparently when the EBS modulator valve exhausts as the handbrake is released the noise is ‘too loud’. I have never had this one before. I am all for keeping my customers happy, but not if that means I end up paying for the parts because the warranty claim is rejected, I can just see the manufacturers laughing their socks off over this one so I am a bit wary about ringing up.

Has anyone else ever come across this? all I can think of is renewing the exhaust port silencers, but is there such a thing as a quieter one? so unless something is broken how am i going to tell that there is something wrong by sight? I have checked the delivery pressures from the units but that is all since with no second pair of hands I haven’t heard it myself. Haldex EB+3 2S 2M.

You have got to question the quality of the “manager” who actually passed this “defect” for rectification, surely anybody with an ounce of common sense would have signed this off as “yeh, right oh”…….

Its a bit like another operator I deal with, who have “windscreen” technicians in every weekend, apparently the “manager” has a thing about chips and cracks…he has new screens in everytime… :open_mouth:

cav551:

I would have thought that it’s either working, or its not. If it’s not working properly, you should either get a message on the dash, or the driver ‘should’ notice the trailer behaving oddly. Now, by ‘too loud’ if they mean it vents longer than it should, well that could be a sticking valve or possible back feed from a duff brake chamber. But then you’d hope to have sufficient info from the driver to make the right investigations…

cav551:

No not heard of that and I use haldex gen 1,2 and 3. Never had a noisy modulator even the exhaust from the built in qrv is silenced and pretty quiet.
Are they not mixing it up with a normal qrv? I’ve got trailers with qrv‘s on the suspension so when a heavy weight is suddenly removed the suspension levels quickly. These can be very noisy and tuneful.

Need to get the customer to replicate the issue.

It’s summer. With the windows open for the first time in years maybe the drivers are hearing the sound for the first time?
Seriously how loud is “too loud”. That’s purely subjective. How many dB is it making, and what’s the spec or the law?
If it’s not the drivers hearing the sound reflected from parked cars, is it the customer who has no air con in the offices and has opened their windows?
It’s obviously all the fault of Eu6 trucks. With a more open exhaust you’d never get complaints about noisy air!

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Moulded earplugs for the management and a pair up your own nostrils to prevent the smell of ■■■■■■■■

coiler:

cav551:

Are they not mixing it up with a normal qrv? I’ve got trailers with qrv‘s on the suspension so when a heavy weight is suddenly removed the suspension levels quickly. These can be very noisy and tuneful…

If that’s the case I would lower the trailer and unit suspension before removing anything heavy like a container

Wheel Nut:

coiler:

cav551:

Are they not mixing it up with a normal qrv? I’ve got trailers with qrv‘s on the suspension so when a heavy weight is suddenly removed the suspension levels quickly. These can be very noisy and tuneful…

If that’s the case I would lower the trailer and unit suspension before removing anything heavy like a container

Every other load for us tends to be single heavy things (coils) so to rely on the driver to dump trailer and unit suspension every time is unrealistic, hence why I experimented with qrv’s on the trailer suspension about 10 years ago. To be honest it doesn’t make any difference to the life of suspension components e.g. shockers between trailers with the qrv and the ones without.

coiler:

Wheel Nut:

coiler:

cav551:

Every other load for us tends to be single heavy things (coils) so to rely on the driver to dump trailer and unit suspension every time is unrealistic, hence why I experimented with qrv’s on the trailer suspension about 10 years ago. To be honest it doesn’t make any difference to the life of suspension components e.g. shockers between trailers with the qrv and the ones without.

I worked in Holland and Belgium and every driver dropped the air first before lifting a 27 tonne tank off it, there is also the weight of the lift spreader settling on top.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpw89EUVk4

Punchy Dan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpw89EUVk4

And that noise is defo coming from the trailer modulator?

coiler:

Punchy Dan:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hgpw89EUVk4

And that noise is defo coming from the trailer modulator?

No it’s the lorry :wink:

Update.
Well I have to say, laughable though it may seem, the complaint is justified. If one was to compare a typical loud trailer exhausting with a DAF or Scania horn then this is like a Class 37 locomotive horn. The thing screams not just makes a loud hissing noise. The annoying thing is consistently replicating it. Two trailers exhibit the fault and although I have not experienced it myself with another unit I am told it does it on both units when the unit handbrake is released. On the unit I have had coupled up the red line pressure does not always cut out at exactly the same pressure, but only by a matter of 0.1 or 0.2 bar. It is nudging the higher end of the demanded trailer operating pressure, but the noise is not happening at this pressure, it seems to be more reliably at around the pressure when I assume the air processor bobbin cuts in to recharge the unit’s trailer reservoir. The trailer’s own tank is well within its specified pressure range when the noise occurs. I am not convinced that this is a unit issue . If I maintained the unit I would be checking the airdrier filter, but that is down to the R&M dealer to do. Since all sound is a factor of vibration I am more of the opinion that a certain pressure is critical for the diaphragm in the Modulator QRV. What I would like to try if I was continuing with the unit is adjusting the APU bobbin.

Like to know what the EBS has to do with the park brake?
Totally different system?

Wheel Nut:

coiler:

cav551:

Relying on the driver to do that each time?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

cav551:
Update.
Well I have to say, laughable though it may seem, the complaint is justified. If one was to compare a typical loud trailer exhausting with a DAF or Scania horn then this is like a Class 37 locomotive horn. The thing screams not just makes a loud hissing noise. The annoying thing is consistently replicating it. Two trailers exhibit the fault and although I have not experienced it myself with another unit I am told it does it on both units when the unit handbrake is released. On the unit I have had coupled up the red line pressure does not always cut out at exactly the same pressure, but only by a matter of 0.1 or 0.2 bar. It is nudging the higher end of the demanded trailer operating pressure, but the noise is not happening at this pressure, it seems to be more reliably at around the pressure when I assume the air processor bobbin cuts in to recharge the unit’s trailer reservoir. The trailer’s own tank is well within its specified pressure range when the noise occurs. I am not convinced that this is a unit issue . If I maintained the unit I would be checking the airdrier filter, but that is down to the R&M dealer to do. Since all sound is a factor of vibration I am more of the opinion that a certain pressure is critical for the diaphragm in the Modulator QRV. What I would like to try if I was continuing with the unit is adjusting the APU bobbin.

Further update. I fitted a Gen3 to replace a Gen1 and this trailer does the same sound. I spoke to Haldex who sent a guy around to video it making the sound, and he replaced the exhaust port silencer on both modulators. I’ve not heard the noise since. Haldex are not sure what is causing the problem but seem confident changing the exhaust silencer will cure it. So give Haldex tech a ring and they should be able to sort it for you.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I have fitted two different specification exhaust silencers so far. The first made no difference and I am waiting for drivers’ reports on the second. This is very frustrating since the noise appears to occur at random. There is no consistency to pressure when it happens. As soon as I think we have a cure, in a few days I am proved wrong.

cav551:
I have fitted two different specification exhaust silencers so far. The first made no difference and I am waiting for drivers’ reports on the second. This is very frustrating since the noise appears to occur at random. There is no consistency to pressure when it happens. As soon as I think we have a cure, in a few days I am proved wrong.

Are you going through Haldex technical? They will come and stick a new valve on for you if you’re still having problems after changing the silencers