C1E query

Am I right in saying when HGV class 3 went away they gave a HGV class 2 driver a concession to drive a wagon and drag (C1E)

So can a class 2 driver with this concession C1E with a 107 code drive a 32 ton lorry (4 axle) with a 6.5 ton single axle trailer?

(Combination 8 wheel bulk tipper and a single axle drum cable trailer)

J-BONE:
Am I right in saying when HGV class 3 went away they gave a HGV class 2 driver a concession to drive a wagon and drag (C1E)

So can a class 2 driver with this concession C1E with a 107 code drive a 32 ton lorry (4 axle) with a 6.5 ton single axle trailer?

It’s true that class 3 drivers were given a wag & drag concession with a code 107, however the code 107 limits the combined weight of the wag & drag to 8,250 kilograms, so no a cat C driver could not legally pull a 6.5t trailer behind a 32 ton lorry.

A cat C driver can pull a trailer with a maximum MAM of 750 kg.

Never seen a code 107 with just C1E but I have seen 107 code with CE = me confused

To save starting a new thread, our Lad applied for a job who are now asking for a C1 and D1 licence. The end goal will be Paramedic. What’s what?

Defo Rog I’m looking at the licence now cat C no codes cat C1E code 107

Even on my own licence CE no codes C1E code 107

J-BONE:

CE with no code over-rides C1E either with or without a 107 restriction

That means you can drive any LGV

Wheel Nut:
To save starting a new thread, our Lad applied for a job who are now asking for a C1 and D1 licence. The end goal will be Paramedic. What’s what?

I think,
C1 is for over 3.5t to 7.5t, maybe some ambulances have to be heavier than 3.5t with all the equipment they carry?
I seem to remember a problem round our area a few years ago where they bought a load of Ambulances from Canada only to find they were overweight when they added the equipment.
D1 is for minibuses for 9 to 16 passenger seats, so maybe patient transport?

I know where I got mixed up :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I was thinking of the 101 code for W&D only on a CE where an old HGV 2 or 3 driver was given the W&D entitlement
In that case there will be CE101 on the licence

The 107 code is the max plated 8250kg code for LGV C1E
The C1E 107 means this - as examples
7.5 tonner + 750kg trailer
6 tonner + 2.250kg trailer
5 tonner + 3.250kg trailer

ROG:

J-BONE:

CE with no code over-rides C1E either with or without a 107 restriction

That means you can drive any LGV

Yes but the question is about a cat C driver.

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

I think,
C1 is for over 3.5t to 7.5t, maybe some ambulances have to be heavier than 3.5t with all the equipment they carry?
~
D1 is for minibuses for 9 to 16 passenger seats, so maybe patient transport?

According to this article you’re spot on, it seems a cat C1 licence is required for most ambulances.

hgvtraining.co.uk/ambulance … -training/

Cat C is for Rigids, over 3.5t
C1 is for 3501kg to 7500kg
C1E is for that weight with a trailer over 750kg, and may have a 107 restriction.

As ROG said Wagon and Drag drivers got a CE, but with a restriction for only wagon and drag and not artics. (Not sure why, would have thought if you could drive a wagon and trailer you’d be able to drive and artic :confused: )

Your driver only has a C category on his licence and that means he has a rigid licence, so could only drag a small trailer up to 750kg.

Yes I’m ok I have a class 1 but its my friend who is the query. He had the W&D concession so he has no CE licence he does have a C with no codes and C1E with a 107 code

Why have a C1E with a 107 code when he also has a cat C licence (no code) but both are really the same licence, 32 ton lorry 750kg trailer

J-BONE:
Yes I’m ok I have a class 1 but its my friend who is the query. He had the W&D concession so he has no CE licence he does have a C with no codes and C1E with a 107 code

Why have a C1E with a 107 code when he also has a cat C licence (no code) but both are really the same licence, 32 ton lorry 750kg trailer

If your friend was given the W&D entitlement on his old HGV 2/3 (now LGV C) then he would have CE 101 on his licence

107 is a weight restriction code
101 is a driving entitlement restriction code

You are asking about two different things and trying to put them together I think

Thanks for the ambulance info, can he fly a helicopter on L plates?

If your friend thinks he still has CE101 (W&D) entitlement then check here = gov.uk/view-driving-licence

To check it for him you will need -

his driving licence number
his National Insurance number
his postcode on his driving licence

Two of those on on his licence

J-BONE:

I’ve never really understood why they gave a concession for cat C1+E with a 107 code, surely they could have just said anyone with a class 3 licence gets a cat C1, unless I’m missing something a cat C+E with code 107 is the same as a cat C1 :confused:

Wheel Nut:
can he fly a helicopter on L plates?

Not the magnetic ones cos the down draft blows them off :wink: :laughing:

tachograph:

J-BONE:

I’ve never really understood why they gave a concession for cat C1+E with a 107 code, surely they could have just said anyone with a class 3 licence gets a cat C1, unless I’m missing something a cat C+E with code 107 is the same as a cat C1 :confused:

Cannot get CE 107 code - that is where I got mixed up earlier in this thread - can get CE 101 code

Wheel Nut:
Thanks for the ambulance info, can he fly a helicopter on L plates?

As long as it’s under 7.5t and he has a qualified helicoptor driver with him. :laughing:

J-BONE:

Not all HGV 2/3 drivers were given W&D (CE101) entitlements when the change came in - they had to apply for it and have a letter from an employer saying they had driven one - many employers did it whatever the driver drove
Almost 100% certain I have that correct but am prepared to be corrected - it was back in the early 80s !!!