MAN TGS things to look for

I’m not an operator but drove one of several 440’s (EGR) for its 5 year lease period, and as no one else has answered i’ll offer what little i know.

Cooling issues are the biggie, so keep the coolant in good condition and make sure the radiators are all cleaned thoroughly outside as well as inside, but cover the belt pulleys and idlers as best you can, i’ve known high pressure radiator cleaning to drive the lube out of pulleys leading to quick resulting failure, but not sure which ones are prone.
Mine needed a new high pressure intercooler around 400k.

One of the petrol companies who had their tractors serviced at the same main dealer reduced the oil change mileage, so take from that what you will…personally i think some of the modern ideas of vehicle oil servicing on cars as well as lorries are bloody stupid, last time i looked you could buy a lot of well bought engine oil for the cost and downtime of an engine worn out long before it needs to be.
On your mileage oil consumption shouldn’t be an issue, my lorry used day and night on heavy work used 3 litres a month all its life, if oil consumption rapidly increases something very serious is wrong, do not leave this they can spilt blocks destroy pistons and throw con rods out the side when they fail.
Apparently a used engine for one of these can still fetch £12k, and in short supply.

The only electrical issue mine suffered was a broken low tension wire on the starter motor…its a sod to get to sitting directly behind the chassis so get that checked when easy its would be a sod on the side of a busy road, no harm in getting a second wire attached in case the one fitted corrodes through.

Exhaust brake can go off the boil after a while so needs the odd clean up and re-adjust to keep it hunky dory.
No problems with either turbo but always allowed to warm up and cool down whilst in my charge.

If you find really bad clutch judder on maneuvering it can point to thrust bearing, when they fail it will be without warning and you will be immobile, though they usually go around the 500k mark on heavy work so chances are its already had another clutch.

My steering got quite bad for wandering, they’re hardly super direct at the best of times, a new drag link was fitted which improved matters greatly, so keep an eye on the steering joints, also king pins can run dry so keep them well greased.

The main troubles the sister lorries suffered were electrical mainly ECUs, it is possible to refit the main engine ECU back to front with the heat sink facing the wrong way, this was done by a mechanic who came out to a non runner, that caused untold expense for the maker/dealers to sort out.

They get bad rep here, but if looked after i’ve found them a decent enough lorry.
Brakes were trouble free as was the suspension and drive train apart for the aforesaid thrust bearing issue.