ADR bolt-on for OD's

I’m looking at doing the ADR course in order to add scope to my business for carrying fizzy bang pop burny glow in the dark stuff.

I know I’ve over simplified it. But anyway, just wondering from other OD’s who have gone down the same route, has it added much value to your business? If anything it will tick me off for my DCPC.

:grimacing:

For me I felt it a waste of time n money unless you have a regular job that the cost can be reflected in the rate , I thought it puts your insurances up and I did think the office of the traffic commissioner asked if adr goods were carried in olicence application forms at one Time ?

We have ADR for whizzy pop and bang mostly, but a bit burny in the dark stuff as well. Our rate reflects the additional responsibility.

It may depend on what you are carrying as to the insurance, and tbh all we do is whizz pop and bang, so I can’t tell you what ‘normal’ insurance is, but from what I hear, ours isn’t too much higher and of course the rate you charge reflects that.

I don’t recall being asked about ADR on Operators License…wrinkles brow to wonder if she’s done summat wrong

What I will say is if you don’t have ADR for whizzy pop/bang/burny in the dark stuff, the people making those things, won’t want to talk to you; if you have the license they may do.

Bear in mind though that you may need to add/subtract to your vehicles to make it ADR compliant, for example, our vehicles are all either EXII (easy) or EXIII ( not so easy)

el_presidente:
I’m looking at doing the ADR course in order to add scope to my business for carrying fizzy bang pop burny glow in the dark stuff.

I know I’ve over simplified it. But anyway, just wondering from other OD’s who have gone down the same route, has it added much value to your business? If anything it will tick me off for my DCPC.

Hi el_presidente,

Doing the (driver’s) ADR course would certainly add scope and some DCPC hours to you as a driver, but for a Carrier (= the owner of the vehicle) there are a number of things to consider when contemplating the carriage of dangerous goods.

1.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you will most probably need to appoint a qualified DGSA.
2.) Your insurance premiums may rise, or your insurers may attach special conditions.
3.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you may need to budget for compulsory vehicle equipment and fire extinguishers.
4.) I would advise extensive preparatory research because many carriers find that ‘general haulage’ type ADR work is not worth the extra investment.
5.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you may need to obtain extra ADR certification for your vehicle(s)

ADR has many exemptions; but there are also many requirements, some of which can be expensive.

:bulb: My honest advice is that you approach your idea (and dangerous goods) with caution. :smiley:

I looked at it once but the insurance was ridiculous so i left it alone

dieseldave:

el_presidente:

Hi el_presidente,

Doing the (driver’s) ADR course would certainly add scope and some DCPC hours to you as a driver, but for a Carrier (= the owner of the vehicle) there are a number of things to consider when contemplating the carriage of dangerous goods.

1.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you will most probably need to appoint a qualified DGSA.
2.) Your insurance premiums may rise, or your insurers may attach special conditions.
3.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you may need to budget for compulsory vehicle equipment and fire extinguishers.
4.) I would advise extensive preparatory research because many carriers find that ‘general haulage’ type ADR work is not worth the extra investment.
5.) Depending on exactly what you wish to carry, you may need to obtain extra ADR certification for your vehicle(s)

ADR has many exemptions; but there are also many requirements, some of which can be expensive.

:bulb: My honest advice is that you approach your idea (and dangerous goods) with caution. :smiley:

Cheers Dave…and others.

The old grey cells are kicking in. Once in a previous life I was a DGSA myself, so I was conscious (barely) of the extra responsibilities with kit and so on. But always useful to have a second eye challenging the thought process.

I always liked talking about flash points, mine was usually very low. Still, its been a while since I was last caught, so I no longer need to sign on at the local police station…

I have a flashpoint, but mostly people worry about the 1.1, rather than the J :grimacing:

albion:
I have a flashpoint, but mostly people worry about the 1.1, rather than the J :grimacing:

Iam non hazardous now :laughing:

chaversdad:
I looked at it once but the insurance was ridiculous so i left it alone

Contrary to opinion, I think you would be a mug not to. As you stated, you will complete a big wedge of your CPC hours, but you will also get a premium on every job you do. If you are on container work, that may be only 20 quid a job, but you can recoup your outlay in a busy month, and the qualification is valid for 5 yrs. Lots of companies using sub-contractors allow you to use their DGSA after an audit.
Also, if work is quiet and the only work available is ADR work, then you won’t be working if you have not qualified. Your GIT insurance will not be much higher than a regular premium for occasional haz cargo, as long as you are not carrying CL1 or CL7. Ask a reputable broker for a quote, as your circumstances may be different.

Punchy Dan:

albion:

Iam non hazardous now :laughing:

In our terminology, that makes you inert… :laughing:

Janos:
Contrary to opinion, I think you would be a mug not to. As you stated, you will complete a big wedge of your CPC hours, but you will also get a premium on every job you do. If you are on container work, that may be only 20 quid a job, but you can recoup your outlay in a busy month, and the qualification is valid for 5 yrs. Lots of companies using sub-contractors allow you to use their DGSA after an audit.
Also, if work is quiet and the only work available is ADR work, then you won’t be working if you have not qualified. Your GIT insurance will not be much higher than a regular premium for occasional haz cargo, as long as you are not carrying CL1 or CL7. Ask a reputable broker for a quote, as your circumstances may be different.

We only carry class 1 and our GIT is standard RHA, the customer covers the rest.

Janos:
… Lots of companies using sub-contractors allow you to use their DGSA after an audit.

Yes Janos, that’s true but it’s not necessarily best practice.

I say this since a company employed DGSA should spot a conflict of interests because, in my experience, the DGSA’s boss still wants the job done, even if things aren’t quite right.
This is especially true of many container companies in relation to load paperwork, which seems to be the current flavour of the month for the Police/DVSA.

If the DGSA is independent of the company, and is retained directly by the haulier, then this issue doesn’t arise.

Ideally, each haulier should have their own documented ‘deal’ with a DGSA, who will give them independent advice.

For a DGSA ‘deal’ to be valid, the haulier should receive an annual report from a DGSA and retain each report for five years. (ADR 1.8.3.3 third indent)

There should also be evidence of a contract (not needed to be carried on the vehicle) between a haulier and a DGSA if asked for by enforcement authorities.

Spot on advice again Dave. I understand your concern about a DGSA possibly getting walked over by an unscrupulous boss, but I was alluding to container haulage in my reply. There is no rail freight terminal or dock that will accept a hazardous load unless all paperwork and markings are correct. So it is pointless to cut corners.
In my experience nearly all the companies that I have dealt with do not have a resident DGSA, but use a consultant, so if there are any issues, he is an independent source of advice, which is offered in company contact details.

Janos:
Spot on advice again Dave. I understand your concern about a DGSA possibly getting walked over by an unscrupulous boss, but I was alluding to container haulage in my reply. There is no rail freight terminal or dock that will accept a hazardous load unless all paperwork and markings are correct. So it is pointless to cut corners.
In my experience nearly all the companies that I have dealt with do not have a resident DGSA, but use a consultant, so if there are any issues, he is an independent source of advice, which is offered in company contact details.

That’s true Janos; In my experience, very few companies have their own directly employed DGSA, the vast majority use a contractor.

I’d guessed you were speaking of container companies, but my thought was to do with imports.

When it comes to imports, a lot of the container guys tell me that they aren’t given anything like the paperwork I’ve described to them on an ADR course.

Also from speaking regularly to the guys, I’d say that all the export stuff is pretty spot-on regarding paperwork and placarding.

As long as the DGSA function is covered by some sort of formal arrangement and the haulier gets an annual report, then the job’s a good 'un for the haulier.

I do adr for the people I pull for and have done for years,I find booking the trailers in at the docks can be a pain sometimes you can easily lose 45 mins trying to get it booked in. We do get extra on the job and some weeks it can add up and over the year I am definitely better of financially by doing it. This is the thing though as I have been doing the job so long they expect you to do adr but if I was to move on to another job I would not do adr the reason being although you would be a bit better of financially the hassle factor being stopped more by vosa to check load and equipment in my eyes just not worth the little extra they pay.Of course if a job came along that payed a lot better for doing haz loads then my mind would change but on dock work I do not think it’s hardly worth doing

Professor:
I do adr for the people I pull for and have done for years,I find booking the trailers in at the docks can be a pain sometimes you can easily lose 45 mins trying to get it booked in. We do get extra on the job and some weeks it can add up and over the year I am definitely better of financially by doing it. This is the thing though as I have been doing the job so long they expect you to do adr but if I was to move on to another job I would not do adr the reason being although you would be a bit better of financially the hassle factor being stopped more by vosa to check load and equipment in my eyes just not worth the little extra they pay.Of course if a job came along that payed a lot better for doing haz loads then my mind would change but on dock work I do not think it’s hardly worth doing

As with any job, depends on what the customer is paying. We run out of Immingham a lot on DFDS ro-ro and have to be at port 6 hours before sailing, but that is factored into the price.