Starting own grab buisniess ? Help

Hi guys,

Just a thought this is… i have been working for a few years now and its money for old rope lol. I was thinking of getting a wagon myself… most places charge around £160 - £200 a load. Then most quarrys charge about £30-£40 a tip. Then pay the driver… to be honest you can move aboit 11.5T in 20 mins. So all in all there is money to be made. But I don’t know about other charges like insurance, 6 weekly checks and o licence. I drive a 56 plate grab truck and to be honest it’s bang on. Only thing that I go through the most is tyres haha. But there is now a hydrologic leak which will cost them 2k. Anyway thank you in advance id like to know some rough numbers.

Tyres, Hydrologic Oil and Pipes. What about work and fuel [FUEL PUMP]️

If you’re earning £500/£600 a week I would forget it

Wheel Nut:
Tyres, Hydrologic Oil and Pipes. What about work and fuel [FUEL PUMP]️

If you’re earning £500/£600 a week I would forget it

Yeah i hear what your saying. But id stay in my current job. And get someone working for me until I build up my custom

Don’t forget waste carriers licence for each local authority you intend to operate within.

el_presidente:
Don’t forget waste carriers licence for each local authority you intend to operate within.

A waste carriers licence is valid for the haulier anywhere , what your thinking of is more to do with the transit tipper scrap dealer man called mobile collectors licence .

Dodgy stuff that hydrologic oil you know

Dont forget you’ll also need loler inspections on the grab

If your currently driving a grab lorry for a local firm would they be happy for you to start pinching “their” customers or would you want to be a subbie for them?

First thing to do is check out vehicle insurance, if you can find a good deal please let us know where…

30-40 quid to tip a load?
Where I work we currently pay 11 quid plus vat per ton to tip muck,and that’s cheap for the area!!
Fuel wise our euro 5 dad cf 410 averages just over 6 mpg-sometimes less
The euro 6 cf400 that I drive is slightly better -mid to high sixes…
Just had a brand new Entecon bucket fitted-four grand.
Burst a pipe inside the boom on Friday-(standard practice to replace all four pipes at the same time)just under 400 quid +vat (fitted them ourselves)
Buy my own grab?-no thanks,I’m quite happy to earn what I do for driving someone else’s and let them do all the worrying…

andrew.s:
30-40 quid to tip a load?
Where I work we currently pay 11 quid plus vat per ton to tip muck,and that’s cheap for the area!!
Fuel wise our euro 5 dad cf 410 averages just over 6 mpg-sometimes less
The euro 6 cf400 that I drive is slightly better -mid to high sixes…
Just had a brand new Entecon bucket fitted-four grand.
Burst a pipe inside the boom on Friday-(standard practice to replace all four pipes at the same time)just under 400 quid +vat (fitted them ourselves)
Buy my own grab?-no thanks,I’m quite happy to earn what I do for driving someone else’s and let them do all the worrying…

I know when you think of things like that its better to not have the stress etc… but you say you would rather work for someone else… this is true but what if the turnover is really good. This would out weigh the cons

RB84:
If your currently driving a grab lorry for a local firm would they be happy for you to start pinching “their” customers or would you want to be a subbie for them?

I wouldn’t be pinching mate as its a tarmac firm i do it for.

dave docwra:
First thing to do is check out vehicle insurance, if you can find a good deal please let us know where…

What prices?

hi

Was thinking about something similar myself.
A mate of mine had a grab lorry in addition to his landscaping firm. Charged £160 per load ( 18 tonne). Ran with it for a few years before getting shot of it as it wasnt making enough. To be honest he didnt advertise properly & was too busy with landscaping.
On the other hand know someone else who charges £200 + VAT & does 3-5 loads a day.

It all depends on how much you can tip for■■?

DF40:
hi

Was thinking about something similar myself.
A mate of mine had a grab lorry in addition to his landscaping firm. Charged £160 per load ( 18 tonne). Ran with it for a few years before getting shot of it as it wasnt making enough. To be honest he didnt advertise properly & was too busy with landscaping.
On the other hand know someone else who charges £200 + VAT & does 3-5 loads a day.

It all depends on how much you can tip for■■?

Hi mate, This is what i was thinking. Like still doing it while i do my job and get a mate to drive it… Well recycle is free and muck etc is around 30 a tip. Even still your quids in.

Optimist in me thinks of potential to earn roughly £1000 on a good day. ( quiet days/ weeks) = £0 :angry:
Plus running costs etc plus I believe you would need a waste transfer license??

the big thing is how much it is to tip muck/ rubble. Differences between where you are in country El Aston £30 a load. andrew s £ 11 per tonne plus vat. not worth your while.

Im North Lanarkshire Scotland.

DF40:
Optimist in me thinks of potential to earn roughly £1000 on a good day. ( quiet days/ weeks) = £0 :angry:
Plus running costs etc plus I believe you would need a waste transfer license??

the big thing is how much it is to tip muck/ rubble. Differences between where you are in country El Aston £30 a load. andrew s £ 11 per tonne plus vat. not worth your while.

Im North Lanarkshire Scotland.

That is what i thought around 1k a day… Yes need one of them too i do not even know how much they are. Someone would work for 110 - 120 a day. So 1 load pays for the day… But then the fuel etc and maintenance costs… It may seem alot but i think you have to start from somewhere. What if you end up with 5+ trucks… Even i think there will be places that let you do it cheaper, and some loads would be free. Im from West midlands

Definitely food for thought
Keep me posted & good luck

DF40:
Definitely food for thought
Keep me posted & good luck

Yes mate defo. Need to check insurance, waste licence etc