Ratchet straps for curtainsuder

Hello guys,

I would like to buy ratchet straps for curtainsider (not internal ones).
Will the 1500kg 10m x 13 be good enough (they will hold 39000 kg) or shall I go for something longer like 12 m or perhaps something stronger like 2000 kg or 3000 kg per strap.

Please don’t tell me that internal straps are good enough as they are only good for pallets up to 400 kg. Please also don’t tell me that you don’t bother to secure the load.

Please share your experiences.
Kind regards.

Ask yourself what your going to be most likely strapping.

10m would be plenty long enough for most applications.

I like them longer ergonomic handles, although i know there a little pricier.

Internals are inadequate, do it properly or dont bother atall.

Concretejim:
Ask yourself what your going to be most likely strapping.

10m would be plenty long enough for most applications.

I like them longer ergonomic handles, although i know there a little pricier.

Internals are inadequate, do it properly or dont bother atall.

Thank you.
I suppose if I have 26 pallets then straps of 1500 kg resistance would do as that will be 39000 kg more that I have ever carried :slight_smile:.

I wasn’t sure about the length as I never did curtainsiders before - I was working with boxes.
One more thing is the end of the strap…are the hook end any good? theratchetshop.com/media/ca … -min_3.jpg

Really appreciate your help.

The double hook type sit on curtain side chock rails better unless your using floor rings then those in your photo are better.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

1500 is probably too low as you’ll only be using 1 strap across 2 pallets so maximum of 750 kgs per pallet or about 19 tonne.

mat79:
The double hook type sit on curtain side chock rails better unless your using floor rings then those in your photo are better.

Wherever I look I can only find the ones from my picture.
Where can I buy the ones you mention please?

Kind regards.

Driver Pete:

mat79:

Wherever I look I can only find the ones from my picture.
Where can I buy the ones you mention please?

Kind regards.

I’VE FOUND IT :smiling_face:
They are called rave or chassis hooks

Thank you very much.

As mentioned the internal straps are crap, get damaged, get in the way and not fit for purpose.

I prefer the ones you have pictured or the last two on second row. When I did proper distance with a sealed trailer I preferred them fastened to the trailer chassis, you can check them without breaking a seal. Some of the lashing points are fastened on with blind fasteners, or 6mm bolts [emoji14]

Wheel Nut:
As mentioned the internal straps are crap, get damaged, get in the way and not fit for purpose.

I prefer the ones you have pictured or the last two on second row. When I did proper distance with a sealed trailer I preferred them fastened to the trailer chassis, you can check them without breaking a seal. Some of the lashing points are fastened on with blind fasteners, or 6mm bolts [emoji14]

I’m gonna go for those - I suppose :smiley:

Driver Pete:

Wheel Nut:

Those are ideal for a straight pull but the other type are stitched in and you won’t lose the ends

Wheel Nut:

Driver Pete:

Wheel Nut:

Those are ideal for a straight pull but the other type are stitched in and you won’t lose the ends

I know what you mean…
I will keep looking :smiley:

You havent really answered ConcreteJims question: what will you be carrying?
Pallets? Stacks of empty pallets, or pallets of delicate badly wrapped soft goods, or pallets of sharp edged steel? Will the trailer have lots of lashing points? You really are asking an open question.
I wouldnt disagree with anything anyone has said so far. Single hooks are good for most trailer securing rings, and hooking onto the chassis, but tend to fall off the rave. The wider spread double hook type have a different curve to the hooks, and are not suitable for securing rings but work well on raves and chassis. Securing the hooks to the chassis is a stronger point than the securing rings, it is easier to check the tension during a run (good with timber or a load that settles) but can be awkward to get a straight run over a load near the wheels, or fifth wheel. Also more exposed to wet salty roads. Sharp edged loads will need corner boards to stop the load cutting the straps. Delicate loads will need long corner boards to spread the straps "pull" over the whole top of the goods. Length will be decided by the height of the load, and that will be limited by the height of the trailer, so allow for a strap to go over the roof, and youll be OK. Take account also of whether or not youll need to put a "barrel hitch" or "choke" on tubing or pipes etc. Also check this out: [gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-guidance](https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance) TNUK is a good forum, but it does not go deep enough to replace proper training and experience. If youve only ever done boxes you`d better try to learn a bit more about loads and load security before your boss lets you loose on the road…

Yes, owner driver, I know.
:smiley:

Driver Pete:

Wheel Nut:

[emoji106]

Franglais:
You havent really answered ConcreteJims question: what will you be carrying?
Pallets? Stacks of empty pallets, or pallets of delicate badly wrapped soft goods, or pallets of sharp edged steel? Will the trailer have lots of lashing points? You really are asking an open question.
I wouldnt disagree with anything anyone has said so far. Single hooks are good for most trailer securing rings, and hooking onto the chassis, but tend to fall off the rave. The wider spread double hook type have a different curve to the hooks, and are not suitable for securing rings but work well on raves and chassis. Securing the hooks to the chassis is a stronger point than the securing rings, it is easier to check the tension during a run (good with timber or a load that settles) but can be awkward to get a straight run over a load near the wheels, or fifth wheel. Also more exposed to wet salty roads. Sharp edged loads will need corner boards to stop the load cutting the straps. Delicate loads will need long corner boards to spread the straps "pull" over the whole top of the goods. Length will be decided by the height of the load, and that will be limited by the height of the trailer, so allow for a strap to go over the roof, and youll be OK. Take account also of whether or not youll need to put a "barrel hitch" or "choke" on tubing or pipes etc. Also check this out: [gov.uk/government/publicati ... r-guidance](https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance/load-securing-vehicle-operator-guidance) TNUK is a good forum, but it does not go deep enough to replace proper training and experience. If youve only ever done boxes you`d better try to learn a bit more about loads and load security before your boss lets you loose on the road…

Yes, owner driver, I know.
:smiley:

Thank you for such a lengthy advise :smiling_face:.

I’m sorry, I should say that it will be pallets that I’ll be carrying.

To start with I was gonna buy hooks but from what you and couple of other guys said I’ll go for chassis hooks since allegedly they better for trailers without anchoring points inside.

Once again thank you.

Now when I established which straps I will buy I would like to ask

HOW WOULD YOU SECURE THE LOAD OF PALLETS ON CURTAINSIDER (NO ANCHORING POINTS INSIDE SO USING CHASSIS STRAPS):

1. Boxes on pallets
  2. Half empty (like Amazon parcels)
  3. Wrapped in cling film
  4. Unevenly stacked on pallets

any suggestions, or perhaps someone does it on regular basis

My one suggestion would be to acquire or make some corner boards to protect goods like drink cans which may be damaged by ratchet straps. Those of us who used to load fruit and veg on flats will be familiar with the things. The company I worked for had special lockable boxes made up to store them in on the trailer. Ours were the length of a pallet and made from 2mm or 3 mm aluminium angle, but they can be made from webbing and bits of broken pallet.

henley trailer.jpg

Do not forget your rolls of anti slip matting to go underneath said palletts. There are different types but will mean another 20% is in theory less to secure.

Im not a fan of them widespread hooks, i like the traditional hooks. But we run euro spec trailers which have almost punched siderails and pull out rings in the floors.

I red a lot about the XL curtains EN 12642-XL.
However I will never know if I’ll carry the full load required to comply with the requirements.
Therefore I will definitely use over-across two pallets ratchet straps and I’m also coming to a conclusion that I will go for 5000 kg rated straps as that will not only comply with the 50% standard movement sideways but will also stop the pallet moving 50% rearwards - I think :confused:

Pffft, most loads dont fully comply.

So strap everything like its a flat.

Drivers and operators think xl curtains are a license to not strap anything. When in most cases there wrong.

I use to do 27t of beverages, all equal height palletts, form loaded from front to back, anti slip mats, xl curtains in conjunction with 48 alu interlocking side lats meant i only needed two shoring lats on the rear.

I use these.

20180706_141054.jpg

5000 Dan.

Better to have the ‘pull down’ to tighten than the 'push up’to tighten ratchet in my opinion. Better for your back if you’re having to use ratchets daily.