Euro 6 daf or Scania

510 Euro 6 daf top spec or Scania 450 council spec both around 3 years old with similar mileage and similar price.
Reliability wise thoughts please

We have both makes in Euro6 spec but really mega 320bhp models! and I have to say i dont like Scania at all but they have been really good, the Dafs on the other hand, MX11 and PX7 engines spend their entire lives either with the dash warnings on or in the dealers being fixed.
Scania as crude as can be to drive and they shake your liver loose when running empty, Daf goes around corners like its on rails.

I seriously believe owning any Euro6 motor is a path to financial destruction.

I have a Scania R480(euro 5 SCR) which I’ve been running for nearly two years. It’s my first Scania in forty years of owner driving, and frankly, it’s been a disappointment in many ways.
Why? Well , after many years of Volvos, it’s a very different beast.
Heavy, not great on fuel, and it’s hard to feel a difference in performance between a 420 Volvo and the 480 Scania. Comfort wise, it’s not too bad once you get used to it. But nothing like the best truck on wheels, the Volvo FM.

Reliable? One NOX sensor, one starter and one ABS wheel sensor in two years in tough conditions.
Would I buy another one? YES. especially if a second hand purchase. Buying new, there are no really bad trucks any more, but a much wiser man than I once told me that you only see the value in the Scania (and Volvo) trucks when they are old.

I see no reason to disagree

Good sensible choice either way.
Personally I have run Dafs from new to 3 years with out too many issues. They have always made me money as well as being great trucks ( original 530 and later 510’s SSC ) to live and work in.
But when buying older used went for R112 333 then much later an R143 450 Topline as I felt a better bet as older lorries.

No major let downs from Scanias although both quite a harsh ride ( 6x2 tags on steel [emoji51])
Unfortunately only second hand DAF ( 430 SSC ) I owned that replaced 143 had a cam follower break up , taking the cam shaft with it.
This truck replaced with new 530 SSC which I kept too long . Needing 2 new heads (due to cracking) steering box and radiator if memory serves correctly, in years 4 And 5.

Although above info very out of date, I think situation possibly the same today with these 2 trucks.

Although the lad who bought my last DAF at 3 years old has had less troubles than I have with my last and present trucks (FH 540 now S500) !!!

So what do I know [emoji849][emoji780]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decisions decisions Daf is from a daf dealer with 2 years warranty at a cost of £2500 from an warranty company called WMS if I thought this was worth the paper it was written on I think Daf would be the one if not itl have to be Scania as the 450 set up seems to be a bit more basic and simpler to sort if it goes wrong.

Our euro 6 Daf’s can’t match the Scanias for reliability, particularly from 2 years onwards when the differences become blindingly obvious.

That’s nothing to do with what anyone might prefer as a driver, the usual mixture of drivers and abilities at our place, the Scanny’s can stand the work, our work is hard on the vehicle.

In fact Scanias stand head and shoulders over all other makes in the reliability stakes where i work, including Volvo, though there are exceptions, one or two other makes have been as reliable as the Scanias but those particular vehicles have had main drivers who looked after them and treated them with mechanical sympathy, where the Scannys seem to survive the worse abuse of the idiot class of licence holder better.

Hmm, that last sentence could be misconstrued that i’m assuming the OP is in the idiot driver class, far from that, what i was meaning is that the Scania is likely to be a better bet if its been subject to abuse in its former ownership than other makes would be.

Also i have found one particular make/model of reasonably recent production that can more than give Scannys a run for their money re reliability, and that’s the much maligned square Axor, particularly in manual with the 430 engine, a very admirable working vehicle if lacking in street cred for the image conscious.

My Daf is just over five years old I intend to keep it another 3 years it has done just over 730k.I am on holiday this week and just having the chassis resprayed just to tidy it up.In all this time all I have had is two nox sensors a set of batteries which were still ok but I changed them just because the winter was colder this year and I thought they will not go eight years a water pump under warrentry and a gear knob which was leaking air. The biggest fault was when a fitter over tightened the gearbox drain plug which cracked the housing which agin they fixed as it was there fault because of how good the lorry has been and the dealer overall I would go for the DAF