Bulk vs Fuel Card(s)

Good afternoon everyone

I’m hoping to get a discussion going on the pros/cons of Bulk VS Fuel Cards. I know a lot of people I’ve worked with stick by their Bulk but it seems like a lot of hassle. On the other hand, it seems to be the same with Fuel Cards. I’ve heard horror stories of people getting ripped off and others who swear by a Fuel Card because they have a consistently low price.

What are your experiences and what would you recommend? Cheers. :grimacing:

hardly something someone without a licence will be able to answer is it…

I’ve only ever been given: cash, credit card, fuel card. And I prefer a credit card. I can go where I want and add a bottle of pop and the company pays.

As one of the biggest costs of any transport operator, fuel prices make all the difference, in my office days, meeting reps, ringing fuel companies and checking mpg was Monday’s work. Ideally 2 or more fuel cards to work off between each other and a “secure” tank in the yard.

You don’t want drivers filling to the brim in the depot on Friday if they are going to Luxembourg on Sunday, neither do you want them so empty that they are filling up at the first motorway services.

Although sending a lorry through Luxembourg is false economy unless tipping their or you can carry at least 600 litres

A “good” driver who has been with you for 20 years and filled his car up each week could have bought you another lorry in that time.

A good rep is worth his weight in gold for those days you need an urgent delivery into the bunkering system.

“hardly something someone without a licence will be able to answer is it…”

Thanks for your input. I never said it was. Nor is it anything to do with mooching bottles of pop but here we are. :laughing:

I think you may find most shoe string operators can’t afford the cash flow for bulk tank filling nor have a place to keep one , I fill up at supermarkets using a credit card as it cheaper than nearly all fuel cards , also I can get under most canopies as I don’t suffer from must have big cab syndrome ,It would be quite convenient to get another tank in the garage filled up though .

It’s not unheard of for hauliers to fill their yard bulk tank but still get drivers to use fuel cards that week because they are anticipating rises in diesel costs in the near future and are hedging against that.

Harry Monk:
It’s not unheard of for hauliers to fill their yard bulk tank but still get drivers to use fuel cards that week because they are anticipating rises in diesel costs in the near future and are hedging against that.

On one job the yard fitters had a running sheet and they put in just enough fuel to get off the boat in Europe, if you had to put any fuel in the lorry in the uk you needed Vaseline for the debrief [emoji23]
Literally.

Additionally, I’m on 104.68 this week with UK Fuels cards. If anyone else has something better, help me out. I’m not in a contract so happy to switch if a better price comes across.

bludkin:
Additionally, I’m on 104.68 this week with UK Fuels cards. If anyone else has something better, help me out. I’m not in a contract so happy to switch if a better price comes across.

That’s the same as my local sainsbury , they are doing you no favours on that price .

Punchy Dan:

bludkin:

That’s the same as my local sainsbury , they are doing you no favours on that price .

I can fill up at BP for the same price as your Sainsbury’s mate. I’m happy with that! Could I be getting something better someplace else that you’d recommend?

bludkin:
… someplace else that you’d recommend?

Fuel card group? :wink:

bludkin:

Punchy Dan:

bludkin:

I can fill up at BP for the same price as your Sainsbury’s mate. I’m happy with that! Could I be getting something better someplace else that you’d recommend?

That’s very good ,Ive never seen a BP be cheap ever .i think things must be pretty hard for the fuel card company’s .

Punchy Dan:
…i think things must be pretty hard for the fuel card company’s .

Yes Dan, there are a few of them on here and they’re usually quite easy to spot.

They seem to have read forum rule #5 on advertising without permission, which is how and why they’re still here. :wink:

Usually if a good rate to start with then they raise it to pump.and sometimes way above pump

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

dieseldave:

bludkin:
… someplace else that you’d recommend?

Fuel card group? :wink:

I’m not sure if you mean you’re with a company called Fuel card group or implying I’m part of one. I don’t have anything to advertise so no forum rule breeching. Genuinely trying to compare with others. Cheers