XF105 engine problems

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as I am currently experiencing with my Daf please? It’s a 2013 510 and last week out of the blue started using 10-12 litres of water per day. Previously all it’s ever needed is the usual half a litre a week or less just to knock the coolant level light off. I it’s currently in Daf garage and having spoke to them this morning it looks like the No 5 liner has dropped. Has anyone else has this before and if so did you just replace the one liner or did you bite the bullet and do them all? Myself I’d be tempted to do them all as if one has gone how good are the others? Problem is it’s a significant amount of money to replace all pistons rings liners etc but it’ll be even more to pour money into a new truck.

The guy in the service dept at Daf mentioned that the liners can drop so much that they sometimes have to be machined out by precision engineer. If it is then found that the hole is too big for a standard liner they would then have to put in oversize liners and shim then up. However, there is only 1 size of oversize liner and if that doesn’t fit then the engine is basically nackered. Should this really happen to a 5 year old truck with 580000kms on?

Thanks.

It happened to a bloke in Cyprus once or was that his house that exploded.

Wheel Nut:

Thanks?

xfmatt:

Wheel Nut:

Thanks?

Sorry to jump on your thread but it reminded me so much of the DAF story and the gun runners I started laughing [emoji23]

Can anyone help XFMatt?

Wheel Nut:

xfmatt:

Wheel Nut:

Thanks?

Sorry to jump on your thread but it reminded me so much of the DAF story and the gun runners I started laughing [emoji23]

Can anyone help XFMatt?

Never heard that one mate hence the confused thanks!

Hi
Sorry to hear of you bad luck
Can I suggest you PM Norb, he is the go to man for Dafs.Always been very helpful and I think he really knows his stuff
Good Luck

finbarot:
Hi
Can I suggest you PM Norb, he is the go to man for Dafs.Always been very helpful and I think he really knows his stuff
Good Luck

Yeah I have pestered Norb before on here I just thought I’d put it to the public to see if they have any experience of it happening.

Lastest update from Daf; there’s 5 liners which have dropped in the block, number 5 being the worst. They are awaiting an engineering firm to come out to see if it is possible to recut the block and insert an oversize liner. The mechanic dealing with it has advised me it’s touch and go as to whether it’s too far gone as the liner has been loose in the block. He said using water and antifreeze could have corroded the liners and caused this problem? Apparently Daf should have a certain coolant and deionised water only in the cooling system? If it is possible to recut the block for an oversize liner the total cost for full rebuild will be £6-8k. If it isn’t possible to recut the block the engine will be U/S with less than 600k kms on the clock!

Matt.

xfmatt:

finbarot:
Hi
Good Luck

Yeah I have pestered Norb before on here I just thought I’d put it to the public to see if they have any experience of it happening.

Lastest update from Daf; there’s 5 liners which have dropped in the block, number 5 being the worst. They are awaiting an engineering firm to come out to see if it is possible to recut the block and insert an oversize liner. The mechanic dealing with it has advised me it’s touch and go as to whether it’s too far gone as the liner has been loose in the block. He said using water and antifreeze could have corroded the liners and caused this problem? Apparently Daf should have a certain coolant and deionised water only in the cooling system? If it is possible to recut the block for an oversize liner the total cost for full rebuild will be £6-8k. If it isn’t possible to recut the block the engine will be U/S with less than 600k kms on the clock!

Matt.

Big assumption here, but if you could prove that, whoever serviced it last,and changed the coolant, and refilled with incorrect mix…

Same boat as me last year when my Tgx went bang, 10k for a complete engine rebuild by Man, yes i could have scrapped it and spent 20k on another truck that might have went bang after 6 months , i bit the bullet and got it done, truck has now done 180k since and pulls like the proverbial train, some people thought i was mad however ! :laughing:

chaversdad:
Same boat as me last year when my Tgx went bang, 10k for a complete engine rebuild by Man, yes i could have scrapped it and spent 20k on another truck that might have went bang after 6 months , i bit the bullet and got it done, truck has now done 180k since and pulls like the proverbial train, some people thought i was mad however ! :laughing:

I did it before with a TGA 430 paid £5300 for recon engine. Everyone thought I was mad at the time but there was £2500 worth of tipping gear on it so I bit the bullet and did it. Defeated the object when the vehicle was rolled by a driver 2 months later!!

Ouch !! I remeber you posting about that

biggriffin:

xfmatt:

finbarot:
Hi
Good Luck

Matt.

Big assumption here, but if you could prove that, whoever serviced it last,and changed the coolant, and refilled with incorrect mix…

I worked at a daf dealer for nearly 9 years and it was tap water and anti freeze 50/50 just like engines have had since the dawn of time.

Daf always have good excuses for their engine problems, one recently was MX11 water pumps leaking, according to them the pumps were meant to leak a small amount to lubricate the seal, first time Ive seen that in 30 odd years, then strangely the leak got worse and peed coolant all over the shop, then Dafs could not supply enough pumps as so many country wide were failing, good engine that MX11 :open_mouth:
Now we have them pressurising badly, then theres the BPV failures and the VGT recalls then the crankcase spinner modules and the non stop sensor/exhaust systenm warnings and it goes on and on!

Costing goodwin 6k to get Grahams 15 plate xf out of there Matt, got stopped on dock with a expired MOT and a list as long as your arm with faults…

yt03:
Costing goodwin 6k to get Grahams 15 plate xf out of there Matt, got stopped on dock with a expired MOT and a list as long as your arm with faults…

Oh Christ the Euro 6 ones are just as bad then. Daf know there’s been a problem with the liners but they won’t admit it as it’ll cost them too much.

I had a 105 that had 2 engine rebuilds in less than 700k km the 2nd time it went it cracked a liner and it bent a rod I did just one liner and its still running well now but i lost all faith in it and sold it .If it happens again on another one i would scrap it its not worth doing in an older truck its all the small bits that push the bill up .did you not get an oil warning light come on

I feel your pain Matt and hope you get it sorted out one way or another. If I did ever run a truck again the main difference is that I would run a leased truck with full R&M rather than owning one.

xfmatt:

yt03:

Oh Christ the Euro 6 ones are just as bad then. Daf know there’s been a problem with the liners but they won’t admit it as it’ll cost them too much.

Needed a new steering box as well so I’ve been told…

I worked at a daf dealer for nearly 9 years and it was tap water and anti freeze 50/50 just like engines have had since the dawn of time.
[/quote]
Not all Dealers are obviously the same. I bought a 3 year old XF back in 2011 from an independent dealer and then asked my local DAF dealer about what coolant to use and was told must use the DAF coolant and not just anti freeze and water.

Harry Monk:
I feel your pain Matt and hope you get it sorted out one way or another. If I did ever run a truck again the main difference is that I would run a leased truck with full R&M rather than owning one.

Harry a EURO 6 truck without full R&M will bankrupt you sadly…Due to all the crap fitted nowday there is no such thing as a five minute job ,well a fuse and a relay is about as close as you will get…The stores don’t stock the parts so it is always a rebook which isnt good for the customer or the workshop…Strangely the workshop always get the bad name when a large portortion of issues are stores related and nothing to do with the workshop

P.S i have spoken to matt ref his issue

MX11 ad-blue injector 711.00gbp incl the vat!