Owner-Operator Advice required please

Hi
I currently run a franchise 8 wheeler tipper truck with a renowned asphalt company.
I am looking to expand the business a bit. I have 11 years of C+E driving experience , done Transport Manager’s course , have O.Licence etc.
I am looking for your expert advice on running 1 or 2 tractor units with TNT or any other company you can advise please.
And way to contact that particular company.
Many thanks,
Regards

your first step is to phone TNT and others and ask if they have regular work for sub contractors and what the rates for traction are like. then you can start to work out if it will be a viable exercise.

weewulliewinkie:
your first step is to phone TNT and others and ask if they have regular work for sub contractors and what the rates for traction are like. then you can start to work out if it will be a viable exercise.

Would you have any contact numbers for them as I have filled in their online form several times previously.

banku:

weewulliewinkie:

Would you have any contact numbers for them as I have filled in their online form several times previously.

Just ring your local one and ask for the transport office? Or ask to speak to someone about sub contracting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have heard, and this is about seventeenth-hand so it may not be completely accurate, TNT are going to be giving all the subbies the chop soon. They got bought out a while back and don’t need the subbies anymore. At least thats what the grapevine told me.

If you are an 8 wheel tipper operator for a ‘renowned asphalt company’ that means either Tarmac or AI or Cemex or someone like that. All of whom have slab, bagged agg and gypsum operations. Why not speak with your existing partners and see if they could support your growth by supplying say, 30-40% of your taut loads as well as all the work for your tipper?

nsmith1180:
From what I have heard, and this is about seventeenth-hand so it may not be completely accurate, TNT are going to be giving all the subbies the chop soon. They got bought out a while back and don’t need the subbies anymore. At least thats what the grapevine told me.

If you are an 8 wheel tipper operator for a ‘renowned asphalt company’ that means either Tarmac or AI or Cemex or someone like that. All of whom have slab, bagged agg and gypsum operations. Why not speak with your existing partners and see if they could support your growth by supplying say, 30-40% of your taut loads as well as all the work for your tipper?

Thatll be a lot of people with no trailers to pull then, i see an awful lot of subbies pulling tnt trailers.

nsmith1180:
From what I have heard, and this is about seventeenth-hand so it may not be completely accurate, TNT are going to be giving all the subbies the chop soon. They got bought out a while back and don’t need the subbies anymore. At least thats what the grapevine told mel?

Wasn’t tnt bought out by fed-ex,

biggriffin:

nsmith1180:
From what I have heard, and this is about seventeenth-hand so it may not be completely accurate, TNT are going to be giving all the subbies the chop soon. They got bought out a while back and don’t need the subbies anymore. At least thats what the grapevine told mel?

Wasn’t tnt bought out by fed-ex,

I see daily TNT units pulling Fed Ex trailers.

nsmith1180:
… Why not speak with your existing partners and see if they could support your growth by supplying say, 30-40% of your taut loads as well as all the work for your tipper?

Just a thought , but maybe the OP doesn’t want all his eggs in one basket?

I know this is an old thread, but I’ve done a few shifts with a company Recently that sub for TNT, it appears it’s their ONLY work. They have about 12 trucks running TNT 24/7. The pay is crap but I’m still wondering how they make it pay! Also firms like Chris Riches And his ally trucks appear to only run TNT aswell. Seems very risky to build a business relying on subbing work for one client. I’m just curious how they can pay wages for their own drivers plus agency, fuel, and all the other costs involved plus “director advisory payments”.

Fair play if you can make it work though. Admittedly the trucks I drive for this company are old and rubbish so I think them outright which cuts down on costs, but as I said the likes of Chris Riches and his posh trucks they must be running on a shoestring

Trucking sideways:
I know this is an old thread, but I’ve done a few shifts with a company Recently that sub for TNT, it appears it’s their ONLY work. They have about 12 trucks running TNT 24/7. The pay is crap but I’m still wondering how they make it pay! Also firms like Chris Riches And his ally trucks appear to only run TNT aswell. Seems very risky to build a business relying on subbing work for one client. I’m just curious how they can pay wages for their own drivers plus agency, fuel, and all the other costs involved plus “director advisory payments”.

Fair play if you can make it work though. Admittedly the trucks I drive for this company are old and rubbish so I think them outright which cuts down on costs, but as I said the likes of Chris Riches and his posh trucks they must be running on a shoestring

The more shifts the truck work effectively the cheaper it becomes per shift for overheads, I would imagine that’s the theory they run on. These companies are also wise to that fact and when they say they will run the truck 24/7 often the shift rate from said company also comes down to! Not stupid are they!

Although running 24/7 constantly for the same company is risky as if you have a dispute or they ditch you then you could be stuck with a load of trucks and drivers for that matter without any work at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk