sole trader or LTD

Thinking about taking the plunge and setting up as an owner driver. But what is best, sole trader or LTD. I know there are some posts on here explaining the pros and cons of both, but i can’t find them. Can some one help and explain which would be the best route to take.

Ltd.

Why would you potentially want to open up yourself and your family to the potential of a world of hurt.

No brainer.

deanno:
Thinking about taking the plunge and setting up as an owner driver. But what is best, sole trader or LTD. I know there are some posts on here explaining the pros and cons of both, but i can’t find them. Can some one help and explain which would be the best route to take.

LTD.

I trust you’ve done extensive research already and your next questions aren’t going to be "what work should I do?, “does anyone know any good paying work?” or “how much should I charge?”. :bulb:

LTD, also don’t do any personal grantees’. Haulage is a tough business to be in. In the nineties I was a sole trader running a couple of trucks, it turned into a total nightmare when things started to go wrong. Just managed to get out of it without going bankrupt. Think I aged 10 years over it, still get nightmares about it

If you are absolutely convinced that you have the paying work / the right attitude / family support / work ethic / £££<<< plenty of it…its got to be LTD.

But, I`d be hanging on for a while, there is too much going off ATM to make any decisions worthwhile [IMO]… :open_mouth:

Fuel is going through the roof, OPEC are looking for 100$ a barrel, its about 75$ this week…

A lot of heartache to go through in the coming months, and if you are at the bottom of the greasy pole, you ain`t going to be enjoying any fuel escalator…some ■■■■ Turpin type character will be trousering that… :unamused:

Ltd is the way but the problem for new starts is its very hard to get any sort of finance without a personal guarantee so that puts you in the same boat as being a sole trader, ltd is safer in the long run but sole trader is much easier