Irish Sea crossings

Where do you chaps and chapesses go for trips to the emerald Isle? The only decent prices I can find are out of Cairnryan which is a hell of a run up when you are loading in Ipswich and a hell of a run down when you are tipping in Cork. Liverpool to Dublin is over twice the price though so its actually more profitable to take 3 days to do the job and go up to Scotland on the way.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Usually Holyhead Dublin but it’s not as cheap as Cairnryan Belfast but it certainly cuts down on the road miles .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

grumpyken52:
Usually Holyhead Dublin but it’s not as cheap as Cairnryan Belfast but it certainly cuts down on the road miles .

Who do you sail with and roughly how much could I expect to part with for an overnight crossing?

That’s always been the way, nsmith. I used to work for an Irish freight forwarder back in the 80s/90s running Holyhead/Dublin and it was supposed to be the most expensive patch of sea back then. My boss used to get paid the required rate as it was all urgent stuff.

If it’s cheaper to run across the north for you, then that’s the way you run.

I have no idea on cost.
Always was booked on Stena line , free food , drivers lounge and a cabin but you have to share a cabin when it’s busy .
We usually were booked through a joint system with DSV , more crossings gives a better discount .
If it’s going to be anything like regular it might be worth investigation.

If you’re looking to do an overnight crossing then Seatruck are the cheapest Liverpool to Dublin but the space is limited as it is mainly a drop trailer crossing only 12 runners taken, same as Heysham Dublin. Holyhead is the quickest way, get in touch with Derry Brothers shipping or Victor Treacy for bookings, you as an individual will get fleeced and be way down the list of priorities if it is busy.
Cairnryan may be the cheapest but from Ipswich any saving made on the crossing will lost on the extra miles plus your driver will need a break once he comes off or possibly before he even gets on the ferry depending on what kind of trip up he has had.

Try Seatruck Heysham/Warrenpoint,
Again Ltd space for unit/driver but not as far North as Cairnryan to board or Larne/Belfast when landed.

If going to Cork have you tried Irish Ferries Pembroke to Rosslare or Stena Fishguard to Rosslare??

Holyhead to Dublin prob gonna be handiest option.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Try Seatruck Heysham/Warrenpoint,
Again Ltd space for unit/driver but not as far North as Cairnryan to board or Larne/Belfast when landed.

If going to Cork have you tried Irish Ferries Pembroke to Rosslare or Stena Fishguard to Rosslare??

Holyhead to Dublin prob gonna be handiest option.

The Stena Fishguard Rosslare crossing is going to be closed in the near future for 3 months while Fishguard terminal is rebuilt

I don’t tink you will beat victor treacy ,I use them every where I can .

The N25 starts at Rosslare harbour and ends at Cork!!![emoji108]

Depending on ferry time crossing and start/end of shift we use Holyhead/Dublin or Pembroke/Rosslare. Sometimes its better to go to Rosslare crossing early to start ferry mode and go on the longer crossing. Suppose saving a couple of tolls after leaving Dublin help :sunglasses:

We always use Cairnryan - Belfast which is a lot cheaper than Holyhead - Dublin which we only use the odd occasion. Cheapest option would be to go direct through Stena/Irish ferries when booking but not sure how easy that is for one off sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect Nick, shouldnt this have been priced before quoting the job?

nsmith1180:
Where do you chaps and chapesses go for trips to the emerald Isle? The only decent prices I can find are out of Cairnryan which is a hell of a run up when you are loading in Ipswich and a hell of a run down when you are tipping in Cork. Liverpool to Dublin is over twice the price though so its actually more profitable to take 3 days to do the job and go up to Scotland on the way.

Cairnryan will be cheapest because you could nearly throw a stone across the drink to NI from there. Now look at the distance between Dublin - Heysham/Liverpool/Holyhead and you begin to understand the pricing. From Ipswich to Cork you want the M4 and A48 to Pembrokeshire, boat to Rosslare and N25 takes you straight into Cork. Going via Cairnryan is bonkers - it’ll add 2 days to your trip and big bunch of extra expense in wages, fuel and wear and tear. The boat would have to be nearly free to cross at Cairnryan to make it even remotely cost effective and any of the Dublin crossings would have to have half the price of a Rosslare crossing to make any of them worth it as well.

PAULSIMO:
We always use Cairnryan - Belfast which is a lot cheaper than Holyhead - Dublin which we only use the odd occasion. Cheapest option would be to go direct through Stena/Irish ferries when booking but not sure how easy that is for one off sailings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a small operator going direct it can be difficult to get a booking especially at peak times, the shipping agents have a lot of block bookings so the shipping line may tell that the boat is full but an agent will be able to get you on no problem

Goaty:
With all due respect Nick, shouldnt this have been priced before quoting the job?

Thats the bit i dont understand, how can he say the jobs profitable enough to come back empty when he doesnt know how much it will cost to get there !

chaversdad:

Goaty:

Thats the bit i dont understand, how can he say the jobs profitable enough to come back empty when he doesnt know how much it will cost to get there !

Worst cased it. Got prices off the ferry operators websites and based it on that knowing that I would likely find a cheaper alternative, failing that I’ve got a worst case price.

nsmith1180:

chaversdad:

Goaty:

Worst cased it. Got prices off the ferry operators websites and based it on that knowing that I would likely find a cheaper alternative, failing that I’ve got a worst case price.

Fair play.

Depending on the customer I quote plus ferries and leave it there ,as you never know just when and how urgent the job will come on and cost you more for a different route .

I.ve had the chance of running over there a few times over the years, Tata paid the ferrys and just gave you a job rate for doing it , i gave it a miss , the rates were terrible, last one i saw was £800 Middlesbrough to Limerick