Volvo not pulling

Hi all,

Got a driver saying that his lorry doesn’t pull particularly well. It’s a 2011 fh 460. I’ve done simple things like fuel filters etc. Driver says the turbo boost gauge goes right up so I’ve ruled out a blocked exhaust. I’ve just done a compression test on texa and I don’t know what the minimum allowances are. Just wondering if anybody has had similar or knows of any common problems.

Most common is blocked Ad Blue catalyst . Even if the turbo gauge goes to full it may have a blocked catalyst. You need to check "turbo back pressure " to find out. You can do this check using Volvo PTT with Vcads, i am not sure that you can do it with your tool

Okay thank you very much, I’ll see what I can find out. I thought that it may have been tappets.

After taking ut for a test drive i can only get the turbo boost gauge just passed 3/4, which is the same as anoth r one i took for a test druve but a 500 i did the other day went all the way to the top, so i will disconnect the flexi between the turbo and cat and see what difference that makes.

I had similar problem a few weeks ago. Tried turbo sensor, intercooler pipes etc with no joy. Turned out blocked exhaust box, cost £350 to get cleaned. Truck flying now and better fuel.
You can check if your box is blocked very easily by removing flex from exhaust and taking it for a quick run. 5 min job.

D123:
I had similar problem a few weeks ago. Tried turbo sensor, intercooler pipes etc with no joy. Turned out blocked exhaust box, cost £350 to get cleaned. Truck flying now and better fuel.
You can check if your box is blocked very easily by removing flex from exhaust and taking it for a quick run. 5 min job.

Did your turbo gauge go right up with your blocked exhaust?

It went two thirds but been like that two years but power loss only past month, got box cleaned and boosting full of clock. Must of been blocked this long time but just got stuffed in the last month: look at side of engine and remove clamp and remove flexi and you will see massive see difference. Will be noisey but it’s a very quick and cheap test.

Get it sorted before your turbo goes as it’s under strain on pull or full boost. Post results after test

Check that the stack pipe, isn’t blocked,and the filter on the bottom of it.