Tippers advice, please

Hi guys. Yep, I am another rookie beging for advice looking for a better place to work my lorry. Now I am after tipper work after years of long distance haulage and shop floor deliveries. Really new on this forum so please be gentle, the topic I open here might have been discused some years ago but I guess there are some updates since. Any advice will be very much welcomed as I have no ideea how to calculate a rate for a radial mile or even what’s that or how is the normal working day for that matter. Rates and costumers I believe is to much to ask but anything else please share. Thanks

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

paulsebastiann:
… Any advice will be very much welcomed as I have no ideea how to calculate a rate for a radial mile or even what’s that or how is the normal working day for that matter. Rates and costumers I believe is to much to ask but anything else please share. Thanks

Hi Paul,

Welcome to TN. :smiley:

Your nominated TM should be able to help you with this, but then I saw “radial mile” so it got me wondering about it, because it sounds like a way of reckoning distances that I’ve seen Germans use. (Luftlinie)

Regarding ‘radial miles’; RMC used to pay us on radials which was just that, a number of circles drawn on a wall chart taking the quarry as a centre point. Some you gained on, many you lost out on as the destination was actually further away than where the circle bisected. Tarmac/Tilcon etc paid on direct mileage and if you found that it was actually further (weight limits etc) they sometimes ( :unamused: ) adjusted it. Rates on tippers were never anything like general haulage though, I remember running from near Ashbourne to Fradley with eight wheeler tippers for £85 a load and a local haulier running a four wheeler flat expecting £150-£200 for the same distance. The quarries etc set the rates, you either run for them or stay at home really. :confused:

Pete.

So the quarries can be your main client if they make the prices…I was thinking to call Mick G from Cambridge this days or Earthline from Oxfor but tell you the truth radial mile or even actual mile for that matter, is not the way a tipper should be paid. That should only be the case for long distance… I don’t give up yet though…
Thanks guys anyway

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

windrush:
Regarding ‘radial miles’; RMC used to pay us on radials which was just that, a number of circles drawn on a wall chart taking the quarry as a centre point. Some you gained on, many you lost out on as the destination was actually further away than where the circle bisected. Tarmac/Tilcon etc paid on direct mileage and if you found that it was actually further (weight limits etc) they sometimes ( :unamused: ) adjusted it. Rates on tippers were never anything like general haulage though, I remember running from near Ashbourne to Fradley with eight wheeler tippers for £85 a load and a local haulier running a four wheeler flat expecting £150-£200 for the same distance. The quarries etc set the rates, you either run for them or stay at home really. :confused:

Pete.

Thanks windrush… I’ve learned something new today. :smiley:

I’ve never been involved with tippers, so that’s probably the reason for my ignorance of it.

I honestly had no idea we used radial miles in the UK, but I’d seen the notion in some German Operator CPC material that I studied for an ‘A’ level back in about 1997 or so.

Up until a few years ago thats how British Steel haulage rates were worked , well up until Tata took over then it went on a haulier requested rate system, i reckon if i went into the old transport office which hasnt been used for 15yrs the big map with all the circles on would still be on the wall

Tarmac top floor used to pay on radials, Topblock probably still do!

image.jpeg
Does this wilcolite look even more narrower than normal wilcolite