Advice, servicing costs and Maritime Rates!

So at the moment, I’m dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s on my o license application.

I have crunched the numbers as much as i can but i cant seem to get the rates from maritime in regards to container work over 20 miles, could do with the figures so i can really see if its viable etc. Could anyone send me their rates privately?

I’m struggling to find costings on servicing and intervals too. I’m looking at a Volvo FH around 2010 with 900k or so Km on it.

In reguards to crunching numbers here is my list… am i missing anything?

Business Loan
Insurance (including PLI and GIT)
Vehicle tax (can someone confirm the rate for an artic as i have a touch of conflicting info)
Parking
Trailer hire
Fuel
Repair and maintenance
6 week Inspection
Tyres
Phone

All help appreciated.

I’m pretty sure maritime rates are about the 1.30 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some may correct me but it’s around that mark. And from what I’ve heard worse to sub to I’ve known a few around where I am that’s subbed to them and gone under

fta.co.uk/export/sites/fta/_ … 9_2014.pdf

Rates of tax

Dannyboy84:
Some may correct me but it’s around that mark. And from what I’ve heard worse to sub to I’ve known a few around where I am that’s subbed to them and gone under

Hi Danny,

can you elaborate a touch more for me if you don’t mind? What makes them so bad to work for? I have never directly worked for Maritime but i have run jobs for them for a firm i used to work for and the work seems the same as any other container firm?

Was it solely Maritime’s fault they went under or was there more to it than that?

Thanks for the info on the rates and the link to the Tax.

Well the company was Cleveland lgv from what I heard they got their trucks with the scheme buy to work from maritime but the only contract they had was maritime and all these trucks so probably abit of both to be fair but the amount I hear about maritime I wouldn’t touch em with a barge poll

If I was you I’d throw the calculator away, post after post after post on the subject,
Your looking to buy a truck that’s 7/8ths worn out and planning to work for ■■■■ poor rates!
It will cost more in maintenance and repairs and 6 weekly checks, add to that fuel,tyres,trailer hire insurance, road tax, parking, washing off facilities,subsistence and the jobs not worth a toss!

You’re going to need to do everything yourself,maintenance, pm checks,repairs, and have no parking rent or finance in order to make little to no money, where is the money going to come from to replace the soon to be worn out truck?

almost forgot add another £200 to your road tax as it’s going up from February for older non euro 6 trucks!

Scrap the idea yourll never make any more money than being an employed driver .
your just getting on a tread mill .

Punchy Dan:
Scrap the idea yourll never make any more money than being an employed driver .
your just getting on a tread mill .

No competitive industry these days gives more than 10% ROI and even that is high. So if you run one unit, it is childish to think that you will make mega money. Transport is all about economies of scale.

So if the OP does not have the aspiration to grow his venture then indeed it is better off staying employed and don’t bother. One thing has to be clear the moment you open a company you stop being a driver and become a businessman and that doesn’t mean buying everything from the Kelsa accessories catalog :wink:

Im no expert but as soon as I saw the 900k bit I though uh oh!

At the risk of sounding negative I’ll go with the flow and suggest a rethink. I have not done containers but have been offered the work and looked at the likes of Maritime before; it seemed it wouldn’t take much (such as a bad run of traffic) to throw the job out the window. My neighbours here went bust at the beginning of the year, only did containers, three or four brand new Mercs on lease (after their elderly units bit them in the behind), they couldn’t make it work. I presume your choice of truck is because you like Volvos? Understandable they are a nice lorry, but mine (2013 with now 580k) would have cost me a fortune in the past 12 months if it hadn’t been covered on a warranty. All things that affect modern lorries to a lesser or greater extent but not good for a young enterprise trying to get going. The downtime of course had an effect though I was very lucky to be able to borrow a unit from a customer to get me out of the ■■■.

There’s lots of posts on here about starting up and advice on finding work, it is hard but not impossible.

You need to be looking at the 500k mark Volvo`s or Renualt Premiums, one will cost you quite a lot less than the other…but @ 500k, you will get a couple of years out of them before you need to start spending serious dough… :wink:

Give MTL a wide berth, been there done that…via a takeover, not by choice…basically they behave like Estate Agents, slick operators and slippery wide boys…#beware

Average need to spend about 500-600 pounds per week plus Diesel mate.You will be lucky if you get 2000 per week from Maritime!!

Hi mate.

I have considered Maritime myself, however…

1. Their trucks are overpriced to start with (do your research)
  2. Did TOM mentioned to you that if you don’t do ‘guaranteed’ 1400 miles in a week then the will only pay you £1.14 per mile■■? (I bet he didn’t) He recones that you save on diesel but he forgets to mention that your standing cost will eat you. Besides he doesn’t give a ■■■ because you bought the lorry form them so they already made money on you :smiley:
  3. You will have to give them month notice if you want to leave (if you find better work - and you will)

STAY AWAY FROM MARITIME PLEASE!!!