unit tyres

Im looking at tyres for the unit at the moment.

What are the feedback on different makes and models?
We have been using Hankook but I have looked about and noticed Pirelli are similar in price. I would like to try the ‘’ Fuel saving tyres ‘’ has anybody got any feedback on them?

The trucks do container work mainly motorways and would be fitted to a DAF XF.

Fully expecting to get “flamed” for this, but we do not run anything other than Michelin XDE2’s Or 3D Multiways.

We have found them to be streets ahead of everything else & have fitted to everything from 3500 Kgs Vans to Tractor Units.

I have heard good things about Hankook and Toyo though.

My only advice would be to stay away from the “budget” Chinese stuff that’s out there.

Happy shopping.

All our drives get bandvulc, kin hell they are heavy!
Seem to wear quite fast as well.

Been on nothing but Hankook and Taurus for the last 10 yrs

Running Continental at the moment, OEM fit. They appear to be holding up well but I’m probably going to go for Bridgestones when they wear out.

nsmith1180:
Running Continental at the moment, OEM fit. They appear to be holding up well but I’m probably going to go for Bridgestones when they wear out.

On what ? If Merc or man don’t they’re carp , my 26t Actros had bridgestones on from factory and in the wet I had to put tag down to keep rear from sliding every where
The Boss either runs Goodyear or Michellens

chaversdad:
Been on nothing but Hankook and Taurus for the last 10 yrs

Hancook best all rounder

I’ve got a Range T now but I put Bridgestone remoulds on the drive axle of the merc I had before and they were like superglue. My tyre agreement is with a Bridgestone agent so they always have Bridgestones in stock, which makes part of the decision, that way I can always replace like for like.

The trailer on the other hand gets the cheapest tyre available. They take all the damage and most of the wear so I’m not going to spend a fortune on them.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:
I’ve got a Range T now but I put Bridgestone remoulds on the drive axle of the merc I had before and they were like superglue. My tyre agreement is with a Bridgestone agent so they always have Bridgestones in stock, which makes part of the decision, that way I can always replace like for like.

The trailer on the other hand gets the cheapest tyre available. They take all the damage and most of the wear so I’m not going to spend a fortune on them.

What’s a tyre agreement ?

Account and “ohh crap help I’m stuck” service. It’s not a subscription service, I chose words poorly.

I run this tread pattern on the trailers, not the most fuel efficient but they last the best in and out of the steelworks everyday

chaversdad:
I run this tread pattern on the trailers, not the most fuel efficient but they last the best in and out of the steelworks everyday

I think Ernest Cooper sells those for £250 each .

nsmith1180:

As I said these Brigestones would have been brand new ones not retreads

blue estate:

nsmith1180:

I would have thought the compound would be similar though, only the construction different? I thought they took the carcass right back to the cord and rebuilt the tyre when they retreaded.

nsmith1180:

blue estate:

nsmith1180:

I would have thought the compound would be similar though, only the construction different? I thought they took the carcass right back to the cord and rebuilt the tyre when they retreaded.

Could also be the fact it’s an Mp4 Actros and you know how much empty the bounce when in tractor unit form then add another 25ft and a tuck under taillift in to the mix
my 26t had a 2.3m stream space sleeper cab 150mm tunnel and a 9m curtain body with a dahollanda tuckunder and came in at 11.4t empty

Punchy Dan:

chaversdad:

I think Ernest Cooper sells those for £250 each .

I pay 265 but they dont charge me any call out to come and change them on a weekend

I like those tyres Chaversdad, still got them on my trailer, think I’m putting them on the front of Foden double drive as they are an all positions tyre
Looking at hankook Dm09 for the drive axles

nsmith1180:

I use nothing but Bridgestone and find them a superb tyre, the grip is good and they do the mileage too.
Also i never regroove, best way of avoiding punctures/blowouts imo.
Company i sub for buys these in bulk so the price is pretty good…

I’m not helping here but this morning I drove to Derbyshire and was amazed how many 385 tyres were laid about, apart from the bloke with his brakes on fire on the A38 I couldn’t see a reason for it apart from poor maintenance and checks

We run;
Mich steer
Mich remix XDE on drives
Taurus/BF Goodrich on trailers and tag/lift axles

Only complaint is that we used to run Mich XZY on 385/65 super single steers and they were bomb-proof, plus ok to re-cut and fit to a trailer - our new units are on semi-low (385/55) super single steers, which are not yet available as an XZY pattern, so we have to ■■■■ it up and fit a ‘proper’ (and expensive!) steer tyre…