Fuel Does It Matter Which!

Hello Everyone,

This question may have been asked many times but just thought i would post …

Supermarket Or Forecourt - is there different grade diesels, does 1 run cleaner than the other, has anyone noticed the difference or can tell the difference do you really get more mile to the gallon, if so which is the overall best, do we choose cost or mpg ?

Like i say it’s just out of interest this post :smiley: :wink:

If any fuel gave noticeably better mpg figures there would be a LOT of fuss made about it. . . and it would also cost more, so negating any advantage. . .

Some people seem to think supermarket is a lower grade fuel … thoughts

Always found the car runs better on Shell petrol than supermarket stuff,or is it just me thinking it does?.
There’s the thought that supermarket fuel is inferior to forecourt fuel but as its the same RON rating there can’t be that much of a difference in MPG?.

I have used both over the years and in my opinion it makes no difference.Although some of my mates say they fair better with shell.

I don’t think there is any difference but some friends of mine reckon supermarket fuel is very low quality & wouldn’t touch it. Think there would be some watchdog programme about it if its that bad

Go on to any car forum, and there’s pages on this.

Supermarket fuels have less additives in there petrol than forecourt, the Ron will stay the same, it’s very noticeable the difference,

With diesel there will be a difference, first it might be the cten number that changes, then which base oil, how it’s fractured etc etc.

But from my experience in a previous life fuel companies keep what they add to fuel very secretive,

biggriffin:
Go on to any car forum, and there’s pages on this.

Supermarket fuels have less additives in there petrol than forecourt, the Ron will stay the same, it’s very noticeable the difference,

With diesel there will be a difference, first it might be the cten number that changes, then which base oil, how it’s fractured etc etc.

But from my experience in a previous life fuel companies keep what they add to fuel very secretive,

I think youll find the difference is only apparent on SOME vehicles? Some more advanced engines will alter the timing according to the fuel type used. Some others will not be able to (within the parameters set at the factory) be able to take advantage of any "superior" fuel. As you say the fuels bought by supermarkets may have different, or fewer, additives, but surely they all come out of the same refineries as "branded" fuels? And testing for fuel economy in the real world is difficult. What youre trying to measure is less than the normal variations. Its not impossible to do, but involves a lot more than doing a couple of fill ups at the pump. Add in biased (intentional or innocent) reporting, and human interpretation of results, as well as the financial incentives for some and its a minefield to find the truth.

Morning All,

Yes as for Ron on petrol yes there is a difference i would go with Shell, but i was more on about Diesel’s for lorries, or is supermarket fuel older then the forecourt ? how long does it take before it start’s to go off ?

For what it is worth I see lots of taxis (cop cars too) filling up at the local Shell, there are several supermarkets not far away a couple of pence cheaper, so presume they find it worth the extra. I run my petrol car on Shell, at MOT time the emissions are usually spot on, its on 59,000 miles.

Buckstones:
For what it is worth I see lots of taxis (cop cars too) filling up at the local Shell, there are several supermarkets not far away a couple of pence cheaper, so presume they find it worth the extra. I run my petrol car on Shell, at MOT time the emissions are usually spot on, its on 59,000 miles.

Maybe the " on account" prices paid by the cops and taxis at he Shell Station is actually less than the price at the pump at the supermarket?
If Shell makes fuel for £1.00.
Sells on forecourt for £1.20.
Sells to supermarket for £1.05
Supermarket sells for £1.15
But Shell can sell “on account” £1.10

Possibly?

Ghost01:
Morning All,

Yes as for Ron on petrol yes there is a difference i would go with Shell, but i was more on about Diesel’s for lorries, or is supermarket fuel older then the forecourt ? how long does it take before it start’s to go off ?

Whenever a Bank Holiday comes around or when everyone fills up because of a tax scare/budget etc the supermarkets and fuel stations run out within a few days. The tanks they have underground are big, but their turnover is so quick there is little risk of “stale fuel” I`d say.

I’ve found fuel choice makes more of a difference in a truck than in a car. Shell is generally the best but the Tesco premium fuels are also good. The higher the grade fuel the less biofuel there is in it and if your engine doesn’t like biofuel (which most engines don’t) it won’t perform as well. You may not notice right away but you may find your injectors won’t last as long as they otherwise might.

I noticed a 10% improvement using Shell fuel in the truck (on a regular run) but I don’t notice much difference in the car. I know my motorcycle prefers premium fuel, you can tell just by the sound.

I spoke to Shell about this and they told me 9% improvement for trucks and 3% improvement for cars. . .

Commercial Motor magazine used to analyse the different fuels every month and publish the results but they told it became too expensive to continue . . mmmn :astonished:

apart from the smell of doughnuts my shogun started and ran better on cooking oil, not tried it in the 200,045 mile skoda though.

There’s two of my lads in Pitea Sweden, yes it is very far north, can tell you petrol doesn’t work at all well…

Buckstones:

Possibly because they have an account there and use fuel cards hence why they only use the place,and your car or any car shouldn’t be having emission issues at 59K regardless of what fuel you/they fill up with…Placeslike shell & BP just like you to think that their “premium” fuel will help.

Who gives a ■■■■ as long as it gets me from A to B happy days.

I know its not Europe but my running mate did 27yrs with the main fuel hauler in western Canada and a couple o yr after retiring with a smaller company…well I asked him why he never fueled up at a certain retail companies locations and he told me …"every yr the refinery he ran out of shut down /cleaned out so many storage vessels in the winter (think -20c ish) and this certain retail company would buy the contents sometimes diesel/petrol/avgas and my mates company would come in mob handed and empty the vessels out and take to whatever locations they were told. He told me it was a miserable job as the petrol/diesel/avgas had so much condensation in it froze in the pipes when pumping out. Can only take this at face value as he is not known for telling tall tales. :grimacing: This retail company fuel is always a couple o cents cheaper than everyone else.

Would that retailer have a refinery in Regina Jimmy? I’ve noticed that their diesel doesn’t like to stay in my tanks for long compared to Esso or Shell diesel.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Well if it is Regina , shut down starts this Monday 26th so better brim your tanks on Sunday . More likely Petro in Edm though .