Tachograph Removal

Hi everyone,
Brought in a truck from the UK over to these fair shores in New Zealand. Ran into a curly issue - we don’t use tachographs, so of course there’s no drivers’ cards available etc. Is there any documented way to get the tachograph removed or disabled?

It’s an Mercedes Axor tipper truck, but the commercial vehicle franchise here for Mercedes is not hopeful on whether he will be able to successfully remove it. Even some tips for him would be helpful!

Apologies if this is a taboo topic or not to be discussed, or I have put it into the wrong forum. I figured if anyone would know the process it’ll be the well informed old hands on this board!

Cheers!

What`s the problem?
So far as I know, the tachos normally have no ignition lock or disabling or security function with them. The worst that should happen is the tacho will flash an orange light at you.

Franglais:
What`s the problem?
So far as I know, the tachos normally have no ignition lock or disabling or security function with them. The worst that should happen is the tacho will flash an orange light at you.

Not if you put a strip of Gaffa tape over it :grimacing:

I’m at a loss as to why you’d want it removed or disabled? As stated you don’t use them, so why not just ignore it? We don’t need an appendix, but they’re only removed if they are causing problems. By removing the Tacho you’ll be incurring a financial cost where none is needed and all you’ll achieve is creating a hole in your dashboard.

Hi,
The main issue is a constant warning tone every perhaps kilometer to insert the driver’s card, and the orange alert on the dash board. I brought the truck in as a favour for someone and I don’t think it would be a good show to hand them ownership with this issue still present. Doesn’t even need to be removed, just disabled really.

What happens if you take the fuse out?

Harry Monk:
What happens if you take the fuse out?

If you mean one of the accessible fuses on the vehicle fuse box you can be 99.999% sure that the vehicle would throw a fit. A tacho system easily overcome by pulling a fuse wouldn`t be much use, after all. Maybe you and I are to honest to have an answer here Harry?

Has the OP asked M.B about this? I can see they may not be helpful though.

Your instincts are spot on - I’ve been warned not to tamper with it myself by the UK exporter, since it could go into limp mode. I’ve got MB here looking at it but they’re a bit unsure themselves and can’t promise a result, no one in NZ really seems to have experience with this. I might ask MBUK on Monday as they’ve been very helpful supplying paperwork so maybe can give the MBNZ team some guidance.

Neongreen:
Your instincts are spot on - I’ve been warned not to tamper with it myself by the UK exporter, since it could go into limp mode. I’ve got MB here looking at it but they’re a bit unsure themselves and can’t promise a result, no one in NZ really seems to have experience with this. I might ask MBUK on Monday as they’ve been very helpful supplying paperwork so maybe can give the MBNZ team some guidance.

Seems safest. I can see MB UK wouldn`t want to give advice to all enquirers, but they should co-operate with MB NZ. Good luck.

VDO do a digital head that doesn’t take a card. It’s used just as a slave to send the speed signal to the vehicle. It’s fitted to a lot of service buses usually hidden away behind the panelling. Fitting one of these could be an option if you can lay your hands on one.

Bit random, what would happen if someone sent you an expired card/ one they no longer use, put the card in and leave it there for evermore. Not a perfect solution but if it s complicated to disable it, might do. X

Magnet on the gearbox sender unit may do the job. Might cause ABS and range change issues but if so you can just take it off again.
At least, that’s what a mate of mine told me!

Put it on out of scope and leave it on that. Will stop it asking for a card.

Snowgo:

Excellent.

Snowgo:

Have you tried this ?

I’ve never tried it but I was under the impression that putting the tachograph on out of scope simply marked the records as out of scope and woouldn’t stop the tachograph warnings.

tachograph:

Snowgo:

Have you tried this ?

I’ve never tried it but I was under the impression that putting the tachograph on out of scope simply marked the records as out of scope and woouldn’t stop the tachograph warnings.

I drive around all day every day with mine set to out of scope. No flashing on the head when a break is due, no messages saying “driving without card” etc etc. The only warning you do still get is an over speed.

harrawaffa:

tachograph:

Snowgo:

Have you tried this ?

I drive around all day every day with mine set to out of scope. No flashing on the head when a break is due, no messages saying “driving without card” etc etc. The only warning you do still get is an over speed.

OK thanks for that, every day’s a school day as they say :wink:

Put a Blind Plastic Disc in the Head , are workshop put them in when test driving customers veh to protect the needle

gbtransp:
Put a Blind Plastic Disc in the Head , are workshop put them in when test driving customers veh to protect the needle

In a digi tacho head :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

harrawaffa:

tachograph:

Snowgo:

Have you tried this ?

This is exactly what I’m looking for - will give it a try on Monday and report back.

I know about the magnet trick from my research but it apparently can be a safety hazard, etc, so I’d rather do this in a safe fashion.

Cheers for everyone’s help!