Volvo FM 12 Speed Hard

Hi All,
I have a 2005 Volvo FM with 900,000km that i use for one run a week and the very odd long trip. Does only 2,000 - 3,000km a year.
It is so hard to change hears until it warms up, it is impossible to get it into 4th until its warm.
Once it warms up it goes though every gear perfectly, down here we range from 10c to 45c so when the weather is warmer it is not quite as bad.

Since its only doing really short trips it hardly warms up before its back at the yard.

Has anyone tried using fully synthetic oil? did that help? What do others use? Any particular brand or thickness?

Thanks in advance

Nick

More likely to be gear cables Imo ,although I’ve put Lucas additive in my Eaton box same as I’ve have the Rockwell axle ,the problem is though the gearbox ideally needs at least 5 mins prior to use or it’s very stiff .

The last manual gear box I had was in a 2001 FH V1. That gearbox was stiff to get into gear when it was cold, was fine after it had been driven for a couple of miles. Didn’t cause a problem so didn’t try to fix it.

I had someone else mention it could be the cables, didn’t really believe them because it comes 100% once its warmed up.
Might investigate that further.

With eaton syncro if you put in Fully Synthetic oil it makes them much better

That FM gearbox is supposed to run on fully synthetic oil anyway, it would be a good idea to change the oil and filter

Moose:
That FM gearbox is supposed to run on fully synthetic oil anyway, it would be a good idea to change the oil and filter

This^^^^^ and some new cables, the fact the lasted 900k is good, change them before one breaks, and they always break at junctions and traffic lights.

Hi,
I just googled the shift cables, they are quite cheap are they easy to replace?
Cheers

Moose:

What sort of oil would you recommend for temp between 10c & 40c

bowers340:

Moose:

What sort of oil would you recommend for temp between 10c & 40c

Ask your local dealer, which weight to use.