Felixstowe or Tilbury

Hi guys. I’m almost ready to apply for my ‘O’ licence and up until last week I was confident that I’m gonna be based in the Tilbury area, however, because of different reasons, now I’m thinking Felixstowe.
I don’t mint what I’ll be shifting as long as get paid for it (as we all I suppose) but lighter is better :slight_smile:.
IN TERMS OF WORK, WHICH IS THE BETTER PLACE TO BE?
I’m not a trumper nor the night owl…
Any comments are welcomed please

Felixstowe would offer you more options for both subbing and operating centres. Rent on your parking space would be lower too as further from Londinium.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

The only thing to watch for aren’t they going to turn the A14 into Motorway in future??
Wasn’t it passed recently but maybe a 5/10yr plan■■?

Could be “nightmare city” for major roadworks!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

If your based in Tilbury they will want subbies in Felixstowe and vice versa. Welcome to road haulage!

Don`t take this the wrong way Pete, but…

You really need to have the work lined up well before you even think of applying for an O licence…

This in turn would dictate where you operate from, not the other way round

And, if you really want to succeed, you will need to get your head around being a tramper / night owl / very early starter, you won`t fall onto any cream work without being able to handle all of the above [IMO]

Day rate / Day work will be sown up by lads who have been around along time…

Stanley Mitchell:
Don`t take this the wrong way Pete, but…

You really need to have the work lined up well before you even think of applying for an O licence…

This in turn would dictate where you operate from, not the other way round

And, if you really want to succeed, you will need to get your head around being a tramper / night owl / very early starter, you won`t fall onto any cream work without being able to handle all of the above [IMO]

Day rate / Day work will be sown up by lads who have been around along time…

I’ve work lined up already and because it’s for the container company it doesn’t matter to them which port I will be operating from - it is just so I can eventually move away from containers in to something lighter, that’s the raeson I’m asking for the place that’s better suited for op centre.
I can live with short term trumping and night work to start with, what I meant is that long term is a no go for me :slight_smile:
Thank you everyone for your advice :slight_smile:

Twistlocks and a sleeper cab make your O/C virtually irrelevant. Felixstowe is all dock work. London has other haulage activity, food for thought if you intend to move on to other work. Bare in mind Felixstowe has a habit of closing if a sparrow ■■■■■ too.