Does remapping actually save you fuel?

Got a 2011 V3 Fh13 and currently doing around 8.2-8.7mpg depending on loads obviously.
I’ve had lots of cars remapped for please/power reasons but never a truck, I’m happy with the 460 for power, dont need any more just if I thought I was achievable to get a slight improvement in MPG I would get it done.
Any one on here get it done and actually notice a difference, not just on the on board computer MPG guide but when refuelling?
Also any recommendations who’s good at a fh13 v3?

Thanks again folks

As a general answer, not a specific Volvo one:
If youve got more more power from a remap then what you do with that power determines the outcome. Give it more juice to get up a hill quicker could use more fuel. Using a bit more torque to hold onto a higher gear longer on that same hill could use a little less fuel. If a simple software tickle results in consistently better mpg then why wouldnt the original maker do it?
And maybe consider that emissions are becoming more of an issue all the time. Any software mods could cause problems in that regard.

That’s what I am thinking, why does the manufacturer not do it , emissions■■? I don’t mind altering emissions if it gives me extra mpg but as you say it might give issues with immision testing. Regarding Volvos was talking to a lad who claims he’s getting over 10mpg with a v4 Volvo■■?

Purely for my own amusement, I keep a look at mpg from week to week. On my present truck it varies (on tripmeter) between 7.6 and 10+ per week. Just me driving, but clearly very different loads and routes. The tripmeter is about 10% more optimistic than the real mpg figures. (Assuming the mileometer is accurate).

Accurate mpg figures are a minefield. Different drivers, loads, weather, all have an effect and its difficult to pick the bones out of it all. Take into account a bit of human interaction and its near impossible in small scale trials to be accurate.
Heres summat: you fit a gizmo. Its new youre conscious of it and with economy at the front of your mind youre gonna drive like an eco warrior.
Result, better mpg, and you tell all your mates.
They fit them. So long as it works, the word spreads.
If “Lead Foot Lenny” doesnt get better mpg, then at the coffee stop hell just keep quiet. Human nature.
3 months later the “light foot effect” is gone. Its probably due to normalisation of driving style, but can easily be written off as wearntear, heavier loads, bad diesel etc. We remember the good not the normal. Human nature says we dont want to admit EVEN TO OURSELVES we made a less than wise investment. Were human. Add in a wee bit of approximation of figures, coffee shop bragging, and well, who knows? Some fuel saving devices claim savings that are within the normal variation. A bit of selectivity in reporting and away you go! That doesnt mean there are no effects to be had. It does mean it`s very difficult to accurately PROVE those effects.

Want more? Look at reporting bias studies. Even proper scientific studies, outside of adverts and those with an agenda, are hard pushed to be objective.

D123:
That’s what I am thinking, why does the manufacturer not do it , emissions■■? I don’t mind altering emissions if it gives me extra mpg but as you say it might give issues with immision testing. Regarding Volvos was talking to a lad who claims he’s getting over 10mpg with a v4 Volvo■■?

Manufacturers are going for the most fuel efficent over a broader base ,to appeal to the wider customer base …Emissions will no doubt come in to the equation …There will be reserve in the engine for mapping …But i do remember that in DAFs euro 3 engine if people went overboard with the mappping it crackeed the exhaust manifold …

The only issue is if the vehicle is under warranty ,depending on the type of remap you get done , one will be visible to the dealer /manufacturer…Also there is a chance that the dealer may overwrite it ,again that depends on the type you get …So if there is a recall to update the engine software ,it may overwrite your remap and your back to square one

Franglais:
Purely for my own amusement, I keep a look at mpg from week to week. On my present truck it varies (on tripmeter) between 7.6 and 10+ per week. Just me driving, but clearly very different loads and routes. The tripmeter is about 10% more optimistic than the real mpg figures. (Assuming the mileometer is accurate).

Accurate mpg figures are a minefield. Different drivers, loads, weather, all have an effect and its difficult to pick the bones out of it all. Take into account a bit of human interaction and its near impossible in small scale trials to be accurate.
Heres summat: you fit a gizmo. Its new youre conscious of it and with economy at the front of your mind youre gonna drive like an eco warrior.
Result, better mpg, and you tell all your mates.
They fit them. So long as it works, the word spreads.
If “Lead Foot Lenny” doesnt get better mpg, then at the coffee stop hell just keep quiet. Human nature.
3 months later the “light foot effect” is gone. Its probably due to normalisation of driving style, but can easily be written off as wearntear, heavier loads, bad diesel etc. We remember the good not the normal. Human nature says we dont want to admit EVEN TO OURSELVES we made a less than wise investment. Were human. Add in a wee bit of approximation of figures, coffee shop bragging, and well, who knows? Some fuel saving devices claim savings that are within the normal variation. A bit of selectivity in reporting and away you go! That doesnt mean there are no effects to be had. It does mean it`s very difficult to accurately PROVE those effects.

Want more? Look at reporting bias studies. Even proper scientific studies, outside of adverts and those with an agenda, are hard pushed to be objective.

Very very true
You’ve answered my question lol

I found good gains from BP diesel over UK Fuels. Its only over two weeks so far but I’m seeing .7 mpg better on similar work. That’s on the trip and on “first click to first click”.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

I’ve not tried electronic gizmos but I have tried fuel additives in the past and they made absolutely no difference to the fuel economy at all. Your truck seems to be giving a similar return as my 2011 v3 FH gets. The Euro6 FH4’s get better economy by about 7% on average on the same work.

nsmith1180:
I found good gains from BP diesel over UK Fuels. Its only over two weeks so far but I’m seeing .7 mpg better on similar work. That’s on the trip and on “first click to first click”.

That’s interesting, I had a BP card and didn’t use it as it was un competitive against UK fuels for price. After much hassle about non use age of the card, ran solely on BP for a month and found fuel consumption was worse (Work did not alter).

Stuff the fuel cards ,supermarket every time the beauty of a standard sleeper cab :laughing:

nyk473l:

nsmith1180:

That’s interesting, I had a BP card and didn’t use it as it was un competitive against UK fuels for price. After much hassle about non use age of the card, ran solely on BP for a month and found fuel consumption was worse (Work did not alter).

That’s why I’m running the trial over at least a month. Early signs are promising but I need more data to be sure. I’ll run on BP or Shell (eurogarages take UK Fuels cards and don’t have separate bunkerage for UK/Key Fuels) until the end of March and compare against January.

Punchy Dan:
Stuff the fuel cards ,supermarket every time the beauty of a standard sleeper cab :laughing:

We try and use Costco whenever it is convenient. We are absolutely convinced that older vehicles run a lot better on their diesel (they only sell premium diesel, equivalent of shell v-power etc.) We do not do enough miles on comparable routes to make a realistic mpg comparison but the price last friday was £1-177 inc VAT £0-981 exc VAT . Some of them would be tight, or impossible if it was busy, to get a full size artic in though

The latest euro 5 13litre Volvos get a lot out remapping. The lowride tags Ive driven were remapped from 540 to 620 and the fuel consumption was on par with the euro6 fh4 that were in use at the same time.

Given of course, that the fh4 was empty and the fh3 loaded with 30 tons. Yes, it was that dramatic.

Punchy Dan:
Stuff the fuel cards ,supermarket every time the beauty of a standard sleeper cab [emoji38]

I can get the XXL TGX under most Tesco canopies!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

nyk473l:

nsmith1180:

We’ve found it the other way, BP has been very uncompetitive for us since beginning of December, been mainly on Esso, but fuel consumption has increased.

Big Truck:

Punchy Dan:
Stuff the fuel cards ,supermarket every time the beauty of a standard sleeper cab [emoji38]

I am 3.4 m but it’s the CB ariel that makes the noise like I’ve hit the canopy ! :lol

nsmith1180:

nyk473l:

nsmith1180:

That’s why I’m running the trial over at least a month. Early signs are promising but I need more data to be sure. I’ll run on BP or Shell (eurogarages take UK Fuels cards and don’t have separate bunkerage for UK/Key Fuels) until the end of March and compare against January.

That’s a start at a trial.
But January and March are likely to have different weather. Wind and rain and temperate are all factors in fuel use.
Going on past records how much variation do you have month on month in the past? (Edit. With no known variables?)
And if course it’s only worth saving 5% fuel usage if it doesn’t cost 5% more to buy or to go out if your way to get it. I imagine you’re looking at profit, not saving whales! [emoji3]

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Punchy Dan:

Big Truck:

Punchy Dan:

I am 3.4 m but it’s the CB ariel that makes the noise like I’ve hit the canopy ! [emoji38]

[emoji2]

I’m not going to go out of my way to kill off free willy franglais but I don’t want the next Diesel gate scandal to be called SmiffyGate!

I was thinking that if the trial looks good after march I would month on month off for a while to get as close a comparison as possible.

nsmith1180:
I’m not going to go out of my way to kill off free willy franglais but I don’t want the next Diesel gate scandal to be called SmiffyGate!

I was thinking that if the trial looks good after march I would month on month off for a while to get as close a comparison as possible.

To my non-expert ears that sounds like a good way to trial something.
I hadnt got you down as a deliberate whale murderer, and Im glad Im right there. Im all for a bit of greenery too, so long as it doesn`t cost tooo much.