Getting on the Chep work

Hi Guys,

Honeymoon period has ended! Barron Wood have just dropped me on the spot because of a problem at a delivery point yesterday and a problem back in December. Which leaves me hunting for both a load out of Gloucestershire back to Yorkshire and work for next week.

Now Google and pointed hints have failed me in finding out where you bid for Chep work. How do I get on it? My thinking is while Chep won’t keep me in Steak,im about 45 minutes to an hour from two Chep depots and it might just keep me off bread and dripping for a week or two while I sort out new work and is always useful for scooting between different loads.

So if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be much obliged.

We need more details about this problem at the delivery point yesterday. :wink:

I ignored for 30 minutes after arriving and lost my temper a bit. I asked if I was ever going to get this F’in wagon tipped.

They went and complained to their boss.

I didn’t swear at their boss.

Their boss rejected me and barred me from site.

BWD apparently lost a lucrative contract over that. I think that at worst I was the straw that broke the camels back, at best, they were struggling to find work for all their core subbies and found a way to save 8 loads a week.

Beau were / are screaming for subbies ?

Traction only, and ambiguous trailer terms [IMO], but you are far more analytical than me, so you may see “good” where I see “pain” :wink:

These also took a lot of BW work in Scotland, and a few staff aswell…apparently :unamused:

You can rule out frigo work completely Smithy if waiting for 30mins does the aul nut in!!![emoji848][emoji847]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

What “big firms” about your home area are struggling for direct drivers■■?

Would it be an idea to bell them up and see if they’d take on a subbie to cover loads■■?

Big Truck:
You can rule out frigo work completely Smithy if waiting for 30mins does the aul nut in!!![emoji848][emoji847]

Waiting for thirty minutes doesn’t do my nut in, I’m not a fan of it but I can’t reload it until it empty so I just grit my teeth. Its being ignored for 30 minutes then ridiculed for following the gatehouses instructions that I get irate about.

Big firms are something I’m going to be working on in the next week or so.

Done Frigo work before, would do it again if I didn’t own a curtain sider but I rankle at the thought of paying to pull someone elses trailer and parking mine at the yard all week, its just wasted money if I can work mine.

I wouldnt have thought there was much of a difference in rates subbing with your own curtain to just doing traction for a big firm

Thats the problem with ppm jobs and no demurrage

chaversdad:
I wouldnt have thought there was much of a difference in rates subbing with your own curtain to just doing traction for a big firm

There isn’t a difference in rates. But take Wincanton Containers for example. They offer skelly hire at £90.00 a week. So if I were to take a step back, (always an option if I need too) I could go back to them but I’d still have my trailer to pay for so total weekly trailer costs will be more like £190.00 or knocking on for 10% of earnings.

Concretejim:

Or demurrage that only pays for full hours after two hours tipping time and even then, barely breaks even. Thats the situation I was in, waiting time paid at each hour after the two hours grace period and £25 an hour. I’ve had collection and deliveries where the loading point has kept me for 2.5 hours, the tipping point for 2.5 hours and it was on the out of Scotland rates too so barely 120 ppm.

nsmith1180:

Concretejim:

Or demurrage that only pays for full hours after two hours tipping time and even then, barely breaks even. Thats the situation I was in, waiting time paid at each hour after the two hours grace period and £25 an hour. I’ve had collection and deliveries where the loading point has kept me for 2.5 hours, the tipping point for 2.5 hours and it was on the out of Scotland rates too so barely 120 ppm.

The joys of the O/D work lad.[emoji52]

That Mon/Fri PAYE tramping jab in the blinged up FH500@ £850gross not looking too bad!!![emoji848][emoji847]

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Concretejim:

That Mon/Fri PAYE tramping jab in the blinged up FH500@ £850gross not looking too bad!!![emoji848][emoji847]

I still wouldn’t change it. OK this month is stressful but it ain’t all bad.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Concretejim:

I still wouldn’t change it. OK this month is stressful but it ain’t all bad.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Give it time!!![emoji2][emoji854][emoji6]

That’s the problem with working on a low mileage rate , you want to be getting moving to maximise your earnings , and who wouldn’t , but yes it can get stressful if your next reload is booked at a certain time and you start to realise you won’t make it then you look for someone to blame , forkie, management warehouse anybody , so they get it in the neck for something that may or may not be their fault , I’m not knocking you in any way as we all have taken on reloads that we wish we never seen .
But let’s face it as an owner operator unless your very lucky and gets a terrific contract that pays both ways we rely on reloads at times from the likes of Barron wood.
Some does the job others a waste of time , depends on how busy you are . And how far away you run to reload .
If there is one thing I learned when I went into business is how patient and diplomatic I can be when I have too , whether I’m working with customers or my own drivers ,
Sometimes it’s better to loose an hour than a load or a customer.

chipliner:
That’s the problem with working on a low mileage rate , you want to be getting moving to maximise your earnings , and who wouldn’t , but yes it can get stressful if your next reload is booked at a certain time and you start to realise you won’t make it then you look for someone to blame , forkie, management warehouse anybody , so they get it in the neck for something that may or may not be their fault , I’m not knocking you in any way as we all have taken on reloads that we wish we never seen .
But let’s face it as an owner operator unless your very lucky and gets a terrific contract that pays both ways we rely on reloads at times from the likes of Barron wood.
Some does the job others a waste of time , depends on how busy you are . And how far away you run to reload .
If there is one thing I learned when I went into business is how patient and diplomatic I can be when I have too , whether I’m working with customers or my own drivers ,
Sometimes it’s better to loose an hour than a load or a customer.

i always tell my lads that they may be drivers, but they have a second job as a diplomat!

Im pleased i have the luxury of just running back empty every time (well almost) for the trailer to be loaded for the next day
Im not sure my blood pressure could withstand being messed about and waiting for loads anymore

X2 were looking for dedicated subbies, with own trailer, very recently. Payment terms are 45 days from end of month, but, apparently they will move on that.

There was a haulier on a FB trucking forum that uses subbies talking about invoice factoring last week.
Said his subbies earn £2/2.20mile.

Maybe an idea to search him up Smithy■■?[emoji848]

Chep do FTL from depot to depot, but it’s ■■■■■■■ with contractors and one hair out of place will have you thrown off site. Having said that, it’s nice clean work, amazing how much a full chute of Blues weigh