Keeping it in the Family

Last week my brother called me and asked if I would help him get a C+E licence.

Once I picked myself up off the floor, stopped laughing maniacally and reminded him he still needed to get his B back, I made the potentially unwise offer of a job.

His B licence was medically revoked a couple of years ago die to blackouts caused by stress. The stress was caused by events leading up to a recent stay in a very big house with about 1000 other blokes. So he can get his B back but he would have to declare the year long stay. So my thoughts are that I’d rather have him driving one of mine than giving chapter and verse of a ‘past’ to several of you who will then probably not employ him anyway.

Am I nuts? Would you

a) employ a family member in a driving role?

b) employ a newly qualified driver to drive your second vehicle?

Or would you, despite the history, point him in the direction of DHL or XPO for a couple of years and tell him to learn his trade and come back the other side of brexit?

Oh the further complication is that he can’t do a full week out until November so all this year needs to be 4 on 4 off.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Last option, go and learn the trade with one of the big-boys…

It`ll be you with the stress related illness if you let him loose from day one… :open_mouth:

Afraid only you can answer that one nsmith.

Has he settled down/grown up since then? I’ve taken on newbies, though they’ve gone out with other drivers until they find their feet.

Personally I’d not employ a family member. Employed Mr A, bit of a nightmare as you have that personal relationship to deal with in work time.

3 brothers (inc me) drive out of our lot and my old man took the younger 2 on straight after they passed, said he would rather teach them his way than have them go somewhere else

Are you willing to put your relationship at risk if he screws up and you have to sack him?

As you said I’m not asking for details but I think he will struggle with the medical due to the blackouts. I would expect they will want a while clear before they would allow it? Seems to be a lot saying that they are tightening up on it these days. So the problem may not arise anyway…

I think it might work if he’d done the job and knew what to expect, but could be a problem when the reality of haulage dawns on him.

I do know a bloke who employed his son in the workshop, I think he sacks him 2 or 3 times a week. :laughing:

The saying goes: " you can’t do business with friends". This is potentially going to be like lending money. “Only lend what you can afford to loose.” Cliches, but this is your livelyhood and business on the line. If he has been on vacation for a while how well do you really know him now? I’m sure there will be a lot of pressure from other family members who see you as a convenient solution. I cannot see you getting much thanks whatever you decide to do, you stand more chance of being the villain than being the hero when the tongues start.

There’s a lot of assumptions but here goes -

1. He has to pass his driver’s medical after he gets his B licence back
  2. He has to get the money and pass his C licence before his C+E
  3. He then has take and pass his C+E before he can drive for you unless you are going to expand into rigids as well?

All those will take time as the blackouts will involve communication with authority and the stay in the big house will also be seen as a major stressor.

I wouldn’t panic yet TBH as how will he pay for the tests or are the family expecting you to pay for them as well as take the risk of employing him?

Once he has his licence then send him to 1 of the big guys for a year to get his ‘eye’ in. If he signs on with an agency they won’t ask too many questions and he’ll get a load of experience driving different vehicles :smiley: :smiley:

Hmmm. Think-fodder. Thanks for the contributions guys.

You’ve made him the offer which is what I would have done but I’d suggest you allow him to show enough desire by sorting out the licence himself. Then, maybe, you can teach him your way of doing things? How do you get on generally?

TiredAndEmotional:
You’ve made him the offer which is what I would have done but I’d suggest you allow him to show enough desire by sorting out the licence himself. Then, maybe, you can teach him your way of doing things? How do you get on generally?

Not too bad now. We used to be cats and dogs but more recently we’ve been getting on better.

As your business is quite new and you are finding your feet in the game, I would keep well clear of employing a family member. You seem to put a lot of effort into your costings and keeping a tight ship. It be harder to keep your brother under control than a normal employed driver because it be harder to sack him and he may use that to his advantage. Family & business don’t mix, you will lose either one of them.

As other people say he may have problems getting a licence. One word about blackouts and the licence authority’s will run for cover.