How many miles (kilometres) should a truck go for?

Can you please share your opinions on what is a high millage truck?

If buying a used truck, I would not buy anything with above 500.000kms on the clock. I know people will come on and say modern trucks are good for a million kms at least. Which is true, but you will be paying out for some high ticket items to keep it on the road.

Depends what the previous work was, parcel weight main road work (so long as it isn’t smashed up) the thing should last forever, if some bugger can be arsed to check the oil level between those extended services.

Maximum weight work, especially on mixed roads and in hilly terrain up and down the gears will see the typically underspecified small, in swept volume, engined fleet fodder half knackered, and as above, anything from 500k upwards may well need involved refurbishment, from 700k you can be looking at major engine work.

My engine went bang at 700k and i.ve been the only driver since i bought it with 260k on the clock (Man Tgx 540) I wont buy new anymore as theres not enough money in the game now so i gave mine a complete engine rebuild and will keep it until everything else drops to bits

Our old F12 did over two million without the bottom end having major work. But it was looked after by us quite well !

All will do 500k with no major issues, lots of niggles though.
750k and the fun starts, especially if been maintained on minimum spend.
1 million and its a postcode lottery with some potentially expensive things to go wrong.

Once they hit 800/900k they turn into little rev monsters, mainly I think as they are tired, I notice this when doing the valve clearances annually as they are much easier to turn over as theres less compression to fight against.
Just done two mot preps this weekend both just turned 900k and both very easy to turn over and you have to think if the engine is well worn the whole drivetrain will be as well.

Trickydick:
All will do 500k with no major issues, lots of niggles though.
750k and the fun starts, especially if been maintained on minimum spend.
1 million and its a postcode lottery with some potentially expensive things to go wrong.

Once they hit 800/900k they turn into little rev monsters, mainly I think as they are tired, I notice this when doing the valve clearances annually as they are much easier to turn over as theres less compression to fight against.
Just done two mot preps this weekend both just turned 900k and both very easy to turn over and you have to think if the engine is well worn the whole drivetrain will be as well.

Are Scania V8s with 900k+ as good as they say■■?
Mate has a R620 and 580 both up or above mill k and no “bad signs” yet.

He does service regular via main dealers though.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

if thats a mill on the clock,then theres another 300k on the wire if there from over here…
if your buying abything over 500k,factor in the price of a new engine to be on the safe side.
even if you spend it on a gearbox and turbo,your still quids in.
if they run ok,drive tightand no back pressure,then there as good as anything else,and its always just a gamble as nobody can tell till something goes bang.

depends how its been looked after, i have 1 at 2.5m km 1 at 1.3m km and vans on 400k miles and still going strong

Over 1 million I’m in a Volvo fh on heavy work without major engine spend is quite possible, I’ve done it several times and the trucks I’ve sold on are still going. But they are main dealer serviced and always had genuine parts and filters.

I worked for a grotty Cannock firm and most of the trucks had 750km one had 946 km it was a banger but a daf 105 xf

It all depends on weights pulled service and parts used
It’s a mine field just like cars and cam belts …

ive a daf 95 480 with 1.7 mil on the clock shes running max weight 95% of the time, shes just had a new clutch and has lots of life in the old girl yet

Next door have a number of XFs and Scanias ranging between 2004 and 2013 nudging a million clicks, seen a few gearboxes being swapped out and heads off but they seem satisfied enough. Got an old 143 here at the moment 1.1 million and no major problems, I think it’ll still be going when they drop the big bomb on us!!

rft int:
ive a daf 95 480 with 1.7 mil on the clock shes running max weight 95% of the time, shes just had a new clutch and has lots of life in the old girl yet

Great truck, mine was the same, unfortunately the cab was rotten - not a problem in Namibia apparantly…!