Cat problems

Hi all,

Had a turbo go on a volvo which shot a hell of a lot of oil down the exhaust, anyway changed turbo no lights on dash all good anyway a while down the road it goes into derate etc. Ive just done a regeneration by plugging in but i was wondering if anybody had had any luck doing this or is a new cat likely to be required?

Thanks in advance

I assume your truck is EU6 as you’ve done a regen. The early EU4 and 5’s D13A engine had a habit of turbo seals failing and throwing oil down into the cat which resulted in a new cat. Not heard of it yet on a EU6 but I’d imagine it would cause a lot of expensive damage down there.

EU5 with a d13c engine. The diagnostic system offered a regeneration option so that’s what I tried but won’t know for a while if it worked and I was just wondering if anybody had tried this before and was successful.

Ive had a cat cleaned before Ill have to look out who I used but there are a few places - if you can take it off and ship or take the cat in to be done. On cars there are also places that will clean in situ with some type of foam chemical cleaner, but im sceptical on how much they can achieve as any solids to big to pass the filter will still be there after.

Just googling from phone gives

westmerciaradiators.co.uk/ca … rters.html

rwtcommercialservices.com

But will probably depend on locations to suit you.

Cheers may well give them a go if the regenration didnt do it, i have my doubts that it did but i can only hope

In fact i’m mixing cat’s and & dpf’s in my head re solids passing filter, if you have a regen option on the truck id say its a dpf rather than a cat, but should still apply re cleaning.

You could well be heading for trouble, you have to use Low Saps oil in the engine that produce low ash to protect the DPF so dumping a load of oil in the DPF isn’t good.

Whose or what system did you plug it into?

Used a Delphi diagnostic system but unfortunately it hasn’t cured the problem so will have to send it off to be cleaned

We had fh13 500, dumped oil from turbo into the exhaust system, after a couple of good runs, with weight on, gets for nice n hot, had no problems, smoked for a day, then all’s well.

This one goes into de rate but will keep it on some good runs and see how it goes

Found the people I have used before

corrydpfcleaning.com/

while working through my tax return ready for tomorrow

I await to be corrected, but I thought oil or diesel going into the cat kills it and the only cure would be a new one. It’s different to cleaning the ash from a dpf filter.

Sod the cat what about the intercooler?

coiler:
I await to be corrected, but I thought oil or diesel going into the cat kills it and the only cure would be a new one. It’s different to cleaning the ash from a dpf filter.

You are technically correct .due to the how a cat operates it is being poisoned from the first turn of the key at the factory ,dumping oil in to it kills it …And again the dpf fills with ash …The soot burns off and you are left with ash ,Since you can’t burn ash ,the ash builds up …The more the ash builds up then the more often a regen is required ,as there is less room for soot …That is in the prfect system that has never faulted lol,as other issues can cause a vehicle to carry out frequent regens when they aren’t required