scania r440

hi guys a local operator is looking at a Scania r440 I think it has around 400k kms on it , I,ve heard they aren’t the best can anybody who is running these shed any light on reliability , his last Scania was an r420 which has done well for him and he thinks he,s buying the same motor only better.

chipliner:
hi guys a local operator is looking at a Scania r440 I think it has around 400k kms on it , I,ve heard they aren’t the best can anybody who is running these shed any light on reliability , his last Scania was an r420 which has done well for him and he thinks he,s buying the same motor only better.

McCulla will sell him half a dozen R440 Highlines dirt DIRT cheap!!!
They can’t get anybody to take them on trade even Scania!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Our 440’s have worked full weight 44 ton from day one, multiple drivers of varied abilities, by the time they get to 5 years they’re pushing between 850k and 1 million.
A few have had gearboxes in their life, some have needed engine rebuilds in the last year, all are on full R&M.
The odd starter motor…though that’s more down to our work and some drivers getting a bit carried away with the anti-idling obsession.

Breakdowns very rare indeed.
Both the interiors and outside are more driver proof than anything else we run, other makes literally fall apart, the only vehicle i’ve found equally as tough/durable and possibly more reliable in the last ten years were square Merc Axor 430’s, especially with the manual box, a vehicle completely overlooked by many.

If it’s been used on normal work (a bit easier than ours), serviced well and had drivers that could be arsed to lift the bonnet and check the oil level, then he could choose much worse.

I didn’t find the 440 pulled any better, if anything a good 420 is better but that’s only my opinion.
Fuel economy is still very good, and the gearbox responds so well to manual input that (especially when you are running light) you can attain ridiculous MPG if you keep the revs well down, pull all day long at 1000 rpm.

You don’t say what year it is.
If it’s non EGR, that is to say it uses adblue, then it will be ok.
EGR best avoided, no matter the make of truck.

Thanks for the reply,s , truck would be 2013 ad blue , I thought some were ad blue engines some egr , regardless of what age am I wrong ?

I’m not certain, but I think that all the six cylinder engines were EGR from the beginning of Euro 4 and on into Euro 5 on until late 2012 after which you could choose which system you wanted