Happy owner drivers

Hi All,
I would like to ask all owner drivers and especially new owner drivers to see if they are happy with setting there selfs up as an owner driver,
are you happy you made the move
is it worth all the extra work to be your own boss
are you happy with all the extra time in the seat to make an income
are you finding enough reliable work to keep you going

the reason i am asking is because i am considering to start up my self as owner driver,
any info would be welcome

Welcome to TNUK, you may be better off putting this question into the Owners section which is the 2nd forum down on the main front page .

I’ll move it for you to the forum Bald Bloke suggested.

Colingl:
I’ll move it for you to the forum Bald Bloke suggested.

thank you

ATS:
Hi All,
I would like to ask all owner drivers and especially new owner drivers to see if they are happy with setting there selfs up as an owner driver,
are you happy you made the move
is it worth all the extra work to be your own boss
are you happy with all the extra time in the seat to make an income
are you finding enough reliable work to keep you going

the reason i am asking is because i am considering to start up my self as owner driver,
any info would be welcome

Extra time in the seat ? There’s only one set of drivers hours .Forget making in an income try aiming to be well off instead , it’s the make an income attitude that’s zb the job up .

353 unhappy owner drivers have views this to see if a happy owner driver exists :smiley:

379 now, i am just wondering if there is any owner drivers out there that are happy that they are an owner driver, it all seems to be negative comments and people jumping to ridicule someone, it would be good to see positive comments

with an half decent tractor unit two trailers one standard and one tall plus a bloke (with a brain) to get in the drivers seat when you get out
be prepared to do some graft you should make a small fortune

ATS:
379 now, i am just wondering if there is any owner drivers out there that are happy that they are an owner driver, it all seems to be negative comments and people jumping to ridicule someone, it would be good to see positive comments

Here’s one :smiley:

I have been an owner operator for 32 years, ups and downs but on the whole happy with the decision I made in 1985’

I am now retired from driving but my son is continuing the business, having said that I would not advise anyone to give up a good job and start in todays business climate.

Trucking is no different from any other industry, theres people doing it better then others, being more sucessful, making more money etc etc. What works for one, doesnt work for the other, what is acceptable for one isnt for the other etc. Thats business, thats life.

Its no different then drivers and drivers wages, if people are prepared to work for minimum wage, then hourly rates will not increase.

Its the same for rates, you have to ask yourself are you happy with what your charging/getting.

If people didnt take a chance, or give it a go the world would be a very boring and un successful place.

That being said, im sure there have been many many folk who have tried and lost everything in the process.

Horses for courses and all that.

Concretejim:
Trucking is no different from any other industry, theres people doing it better then others, being more sucessful, making more money etc etc. What works for one, doesnt work for the other, what is acceptable for one isnt for the other etc. Thats business, thats life.

Its no different then drivers and drivers wages, if people are prepared to work for minimum wage, then hourly rates will not increase.

Its the same for rates, you have to ask yourself are you happy with what your charging/getting.

If people didnt take a chance, or give it a go the world would be a very boring and un successful place.

That being said, im sure there have been many many folk who have tried and lost everything in the process.

Horses for courses and all that.

very true concretejim , i am just dipping my toe in the water, just for some feed back from other people, i think i have seen all i can find to read on the uk internet about becoming an owner driver, i have a company i can do work for but nothing to build a business up with, been talking to your usual companies about subcontracting but cant make up my mind if i can justify the cost of putting a waggon on the road and taking the chance that i can find other work to keep it rolling

ATS:

I did it for five years and earned a reasonable living at it, almost entirely subcontracting. I was hoping to get more of my own work (exhibition, roadshow etc) but this never happened as that finally went the way of all other international transport just as my O licence was being processed.

In the end I sold up, closed the company down and went off to do agency work instead but this had more to do with lifestyle changes than because running a truck wasn’t successful, or at least satisfactory.

I’m glad I did it, and I learned a hell of a lot but it can be very stressful, especially when things are going wrong (and when crap happens, it seems like it’s never going to stop coming) but I wouldn’t personally do it again.

As for you, if you want to do it, then do it. It’s always the things you don’t do that you regret in later life, not the things you do do, even if those things don’t work out quite how you planned.

Not sure I qualify as I started with vans and by the time I got artics, only occasionally ventured out in vans and puddle jumpers myself.

But I am mostly happy. It’s given me a reasonable living, I can retire if I want now. Decent customers, good drivers, some days I wonder why I do it, but yeah, happy overall.

Owner driver for the past 25 years excepting a blip when i went into pool cleaning and maintenance . Have always run used trucks within budget except this year when i bought my very first new one. Ive subbed for various companies over the years and did ok out of it but hit rock bottom at one point doing clearing house work, the rates were abysmal. Current company i sub for is excellent, treats me like one of their own and couldnt ask for better.
If its something you want to do then go for it but with eyes wide open,just beware the pitfalls which have the potential to be financially crippling. Good luck in whatever you decide to do…

AndrewG:
Owner driver for the past 25 years excepting a blip when i went into pool cleaning and maintenance . Have always run used trucks within budget except this year when i bought my very first new one. Ive subbed for various companies over the years and did ok out of it but hit rock bottom at one point doing clearing house work, the rates were abysmal. Current company i sub for is excellent, treats me like one of their own and couldnt ask for better.
If its something you want to do then go for it but with eyes wide open,just beware the pitfalls which have the potential to be financially crippling. Good luck in whatever you decide to do…

Don’t know why Andrew, but I had you down as about 30-35; unless you started driving about 5 year old, I’m a bit out :laughing:

albion:

AndrewG:

Don’t know why Andrew, but I had you down as about 30-35; unless you started driving about 5 year old, I’m a bit out :laughing:

A tad over 50…but i only look 30-35… :grimacing::wink:

A tad and a smidge over 50 here, look about 80-85. I blame having drivers for the stress :wink:

ATS:

Iam not negative but I do get ■■■■■■ off reading posts by itch scratchers ,I own my vehicles and my premises outright and have saved for new vehicles too as I belive this is the way it should be rather than always being on the never never Woking for a dictated pittance per mile ,i know everyone has to start somewhere but really the not for profit atitude is the one that dose the most damage to haulage contractors like me who undertake work for rates set by themselves .

thanks for the wise advice, i was promised work in october from a company, then i applied for my operator licence, that was my first mistake, i should of sat with pen and paper and worked out all profit and losses first, turned out i was not that better off than i was, so now i have been contacting companys to try and find a easy buck, still looking lol
i am not looking just to make an income, i want to make a good profit, i dont want to be left with just the crumbs or left over cake, i want my fair share as well, getting it is another thing

Was talking to a driver this morning he told me he was on £35000 per year 48 hour week plus all the benefits of a large organisation
why would anyone want their own truck