Any tips, infor advice on opareting centre distance to port

Hello members,

It has always been good to get suggestions/advice from people who have been in the haulage for longer.

Few things I’m considering before making final decision as to where to operate from. I hope some of you guys will see where I’m struggling to start from.

(1) Start point. I live in the Wembley area and to return home at night is must due to family circumstances! Can use public transport or drive little car every day for commuting. 50 quid for fuel per week Wembley to Tilbury for a little diesel motor.
(2) intending to do container haulage via own client and sub with big haulers to cover cost and possible some profit for the first few weeks/month
(3) can source my self and about 10-20 boxes a month from the midlands
(4) can source my self about 10-20 boxes a month from the area of slough and reading
(5) can source my self about 10 boxes a month from the area of east London
(6) also looking to join other haulers as sub to cover my free time and more income perhaps.

Where would I set up my operating Centre for the Operating license purpose and day to day to reduce cost.
What are the chances to be forced to sleep in a Cab.

As a driver will always do is to start drive my self for few months or weeks before to pass it over to other driver or perhaps double shift the truck.

A little bit of my background
Uk closed
Operated a fleet of 5 car transporters/breakdown truck
3x7.5T Three car transporter
2x3.5T Single car transporter
1x18T six car transporter
2x Single car trailers
Again I never had Operator license and I have always been luck to get away with it as breakdown truck O license exempt clause again this was back in 2007 I don’t see it happening again due to the tough regulations increases every day.

Africa still on going
Operated 14 articulated trucks with trailers
mix work
Tank,Container,Flat bed
Again the Africa side of business completely works different to UK for every thing from costing to regulations

Its obvious. Which port are you going to go into most often? Identify that, then find an operating centre which is on the route into that port or as close as possible to it.

As for the chances of getting stuck on a night out, depends how quick your tips are. On boxes you are far more likely to run out of working time than driving time.

nsmith1180:
Its obvious. Which port are you going to go into most often? Identify that, then find an operating centre which is on the route into that port or as close as possible to it.

As for the chances of getting stuck on a night out, depends how quick your tips are. On boxes you are far more likely to run out of working time than driving time.

Thanks Smith,
I have learnt quite few things from your pervious posts as you have covered mostly every thing that any new op would want to know.

In my case Tilbury would be the nearest port to deal with, and I intend to drive my self for the first few weeks/months before I come off the wheel and be able to generate more customer.
From your experience as a container haulers how many trailer will you swap per week and what is the chances of doing your own customers work from day to day whilst on board of panel for other companies as their subby?
With the trailer question is I’m in between buying or so if the swap happen quite frequent the I think best hire from the same work provider as they can always pull their trailer from any job they have instruct you to leave the trailer.

many thanks in advance and wish you all a very happy new year

I hired my own trailer so I didn’t do drop and swaps. I would expect that none of the container boys would be happy with you using their trailer for your own work.

Also I was full time subbed to Wincanton so I don’t know about mixing your work with theirs but I cant imagine they would be too happy with you picking and choosing work from them.

nsmith1180:
I hired my own trailer so I didn’t do drop and swaps. I would expect that none of the container boys would be happy with you using their trailer for your own work.

Also I was full time subbed to Wincanton so I don’t know about mixing your work with theirs but I cant imagine they would be too happy with you picking and choosing work from them.

Thanks