Client Search

Hello,

So here I am posting again and providing a little summary of my endeavours as a new owner operator during the previous month.

I know that what I am about ask is closely guarded secret, but desperation leads me to ask anyway.
I have spent the last month trying to get a single regular client from where I would be able generate as much income that would sustain my business and pay for my costs only let alone paying myself any wage at all.

I tried to profile potential companies based in London (Since my business located near Heathrow.) that would be willing to enter into an agreement with my business. I have identified a potential customer as a commercial entity, medium to small sized business, (larger entities I have found rarely willing to deal with owner drivers) with the regular need to import and/or export large volumes of goods.

Despite of my best efforts however I am struggling to compose a comprehensive list of such business entities and even more so to find details such as e-mail addresses or telephone numbers of decision makers within those organisations.

If I try my luck and attempt cold calling businesses I rarely able to make it further then the reception staff. The call instantly get classified as an “unwanted marketing call”, and leads to not much of a result.

I have tried mass e-mailing, cold calling, personal visits but nothing seems to work. The daily costs are mounting up on me right now and I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

The only work I would be able to get is from other haulage companies and return loads sites at rates that would generate losses should I have choose to undertake them.

I see many owner drivers in the road carrying out work for larger companies like Royal Mail and Tesco’s. Every haulage company seemed to have a link to Royal Mail and I do not understand how contracts are formed and how service provider and supplier finds each other. Are hauliers approaching their preferred client or mainly the client finds the contractor? Is it all down to connections and networking between people and companies built over long years?

How could a new company build up reputation and build connections the best way?

Some companies based in the midlands on freight exchange sites are advertising loads from London. How on earth are they come across those contracts? Clearly some of those haulage business are able to source more work that exceeds their capacity to carry out those contracts.

My prices are very competitive and by no means above even the bottom of the average rates charged.

If you can please shed some light in me as I would love to know what am I doing wrong or what I could be doing better to be able to make the tiniest of progress.

I would appreciate any ideas, that has the slightest possibility of generating a few leads.

Many thanks to all who have helped so far by sharing your experience and hints.

Merry Christmas and a Very Happy New Year to all!!!

Kind regards,

Lucas

I.ll give you a tip i.ve used quite a few times over the years, do a return load through one of these second party organisations and then when you are at the customers loading site see whoevers in charge in the transport/despatch office and ask for there number so you can go direct next time, worked for me on numerous occasions, just have copies of all your docs with you so you can hand them out there and then

Does that mean your still not running? Even though you have everything in place.

Subbing for other firms will easily cover your costs with no wage being paid, you should be Even able to scrape a wage out of it. But we should be making money here, not just covering costs.

Imo being as xmas is pretty much “over” you have missed a big oppurtunity to at least get your foot in the door. I wouldnt expect anyone to give me as a new start a contract, especially as theres all a " as and when" anyway.

Big companies have big contracts, they do what they can and sub the rest out. People went to deal with one Company/person, they dont went to be constantly ringing 20 hauliers.

I cannot help other than in the most vague way. The area around Heathrow is riddled with companies handling air freight. A substantial amount of perishable fruit and veg is collected from some of these companies. I have certainly done this from one in Galleymead ind est Colnbrook, IIRC another is near Hayes station. There are also several packhouses in the area, definitely in the Hanger lane area there are some more. It may be worth a bit of research since none can be that far from you.

Have you had your 63plate Premium parked up looking for work from your original post on Trucknet 11th Nov!!![emoji50][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Have you got a few years experience in the haulage industry?
If so why not contact people you’ve worked for, I think most owner drivers sub to a larger haulage company or freight forwarder.

To get off to a flyer, you need to sub for one of the big suppliers, then use this work to either suss out the environment or work your way up their greasy pole …

I think you will find it very difficult to get work direct from anyone nowadays, the days of the big boss man sitting behind the desk of his business are virtually over, its all corporate crap and jumped up managers, who are under the cosh from above and won`t want to jeopardise their CV in anyway chancing their arm with a “start-up”…just a fact of life nowadays IMO …

Ive NEVER seen a "contract" in 40 years, perhaps a couple of "operational expectations", but thats about it… :unamused:

Aim low, and keeping looking up :wink:

I have a contract Stanley, but yep it’s a rare beast. If you ever want to swing by and have a look, I know you’d havery reason to doubt such a mythical thing exists.

Lucas, I acquired said contract because I did an urgent job with a van for them. They asked me because they knew another manufacturer/customer of mine , in a similar line of work. I did a lot of urgent jobs for all sorts in those days, didn’t screw anyone over on price and did the job as professionally as I could.

Then they gave me a couple more jobs, then they asked me to tender for their work at one depot, which I got. Not much, couple of vans and a 7.5 was more than enough so still scrapping for bits from freight forwarders and clearing houses. A few years later they just asked if I’d like to provide all their transport. That was in 1999.

So do some cheap work, whatever you can get, smile at everyone, be helpful as you never know where it will take you.

albion:
I have a contract Stanley, but yep it’s a rare beast. If you ever want to swing by and have a look, I know you’d havery reason to doubt such a mythical thing exists.

Lucas, I acquired said contract because I did an urgent job with a van for them. They asked me because they knew another manufacturer/customer of mine , in a similar line of work. I did a lot of urgent jobs for all sorts in those days, didn’t screw anyone over on price and did the job as professionally as I could.

Then they gave me a couple more jobs, then they asked me to tender for their work at one depot, which I got. Not much, couple of vans and a 7.5 was more than enough so still scrapping for bits from freight forwarders and clearing houses. A few years later they just asked if I’d like to provide all their transport. That was in 1999.

So do some cheap work, whatever you can get, smile at everyone, be helpful as you never know where it will take you.

Right oh, you were the one :laughing:

I think the 80s + 90s were slightly easier to get in direct with customers of all sizes, I`ve did very well in those days by being in the right place and being able to give great service at a price they were happy with [IIRC :wink: ]

Busting a gut was the only way, but it was worth it in the end :wink:

Im dealing with lads today who wont bust a gut whatsoever, and they run the most expensive kit available to mankind FFS :unamused:

I think we’ve had much the same life. :wink:

albion:

That, and prepared to ‘bust a gut’ as Stanley puts it, are how you get a good start in driving too, when you stand out as someone who actually gives a bugger with a can do attitude you get better offers.
From little acorns etc.

The opposite is also true, a newish (to us anyway) middle aged agency bod has been sent into our place recently, i’ve spoken three times so far and each time all he’s done is winge (and ■■■■■■■■ the job up), each and every time the phrase ’ i just drive them’ is uttered as part of his moaning monologue, you’d have to desperate to employ him, you’d be suicidal and depressed if you were daft enough.
Most of the agency lads who come to us are good as gold.

Problem is most people dont want to make a effort, and/or if they do it goes un noticed so they then dont bother.

Im a firm believer in you get out what you put in. Its always worked for me.

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses and I think I can also say for the “encouragement”. I will try my best until and in January to find a way to get started.

It is great to have this forum and having a helpful community of people with great hints and the willingness to share their experience.

Much appreciated.

I would like to wish a successful and prosperous New Year to Everyone!!!

Kind regards,

Lucas

If your sums stack up you’ll earn just enough to eat subbing from another haulier or clearing house. It’ll get you rolling and give you opportunities to talk to potential customers at the delivery points. Persevere. Keep knocking on doors. Personally I’ve never tried to nick work off somebody that I’ve done a job for…
…unless they’ve had me over, not paid or reneged on the rate eta. Plenty of sharks out there and it takes time to meet them and figure out who’s who.
Do you have a plain white motor or a livery that’ll be remembered? You need to stand out imho. Memorable livery, memorable name. A lot of it’s smoke and mirrors but once you’re offered your first load and agreed terms, do what you agree to do. A lot of haulage is bought on price. Most clearing houses don’t really care about their customers because at their prices they’ll always get business. Good luck.

Goaty:
Personally I’ve never tried to nick work off somebody that I’ve done a job for…

Just to clarify my post, the couple of times i.ve done it has been off these blokes who just sit at home and take all the work on and then try and give it away again, i havent and never would do it to another “proper” haulage co or operator

chaversdad:

Goaty:
Personally I’ve never tried to nick work off somebody that I’ve done a job for…

Just to clarify my post, the couple of times i.ve done it has been off these blokes who just sit at home and take all the work on and then try and give it away again, i havent and never would do it to another “proper” haulage co or operator

There’s five companies in my sector, so unsurprisingly we know each other well. One of them would stab their own grandmother in the back for work and have been pretty fly. Anyway along comes a new. company trying to get a foothold in the market, does some work for the aforementioned, then promptly nicks a customer. Normally I take a dim view of such practises, but every rule has an exemption :laughing:

My main subbie, I reckon I could leave my rate sheet on his desk and he wouldn’t use it against me, hence we’ve worked together for about 15 years. Been good for both of us.

A few years ago I met a guy that ran a small transport company (1 truck ,1 trailer) that wanted to stop working. I ended up buying his truck, trailer & client contract.
I’m still working for that client today. I’ve since bought a new truck & added a second trailer to do more work for my client.
Now & again I’ve done some work for another transport company, but only when it’s been quiet for me.

There are some main clients out there still that would rather work with a small dedicated owner driver that a big faceless haulier. So keep looking.

Give a hint which industry?

Priest:

Theres good paying work around, you just have to find it.

Im sure you wouldnt believe me if i told you people are paying over £600 for a 70 mile journey with not that special equipment.

Unfortuneately its only a few loads a month and not a regular occurence.

Concretejim:

Priest:

Theres good paying work around, you just have to find it.

Im sure you wouldnt believe me if i told you people are paying over £600 for a 70 mile journey with not that special equipment.

Unfortuneately its only a few loads a month and not a regular occurence.

very true, I know a guy pays 300 50 miles round trip but again not many rounds to cover the cost.