Recovering an Actros

Had a 24 tonne Actros recovered the other day.Silly bugger pulled the wrong half shaft and now have the great pleasure of removing the driving head (and half the bloody suspension) to refit the lock ring into the operating fork.If your going to get one pulled in make sure they either drop the prop shaft or only pull the o/s half shaft or you open the door on a whole world of pain.

Is it not like a Rockwell where you can get it back with a brush stale ?

Unfortunately not.Because they moved the truck the land on the lock ring wont line up with the fork.
Cest la vie.Sent to try us.Need a bloke with a 5 ft long arm and a tiny hand and ah well.

Bking:
Sent to try us.Need a bloke with a 5 ft long arm and a tiny hand and ah well.

It’s your lucky day, this fella is on his way around!

IMG_0324.JPG

Who was the bugger that came on the telly with the witherd hand?
Used to come on with that little blond off radio two.
Wheres he when you need him?

Bking:

Er - that would be Jeremy Beadle. The bloke in the photo.

Roymondo:

Bking:

Er - that would be Jeremy Beadle. The bloke in the photo.

Thought the bugger was dead! Mind you looking at the photo!!!
Is that him?

I’ve always thought that pulling a half shaft was the lazy man’s way of going about doing things. The oil in the hub leaks out making a mess everywhere so the wheel bearings are not lubricated properly, road dirt gets into the bearings, and with the crown wheel not turning the diff gears still turn unless both shafts are pulled, so they are lucky to get much oil.

cav551:
I’ve always thought that pulling a half shaft was the lazy man’s way of going about doing things. The oil in the hub leaks out making a mess everywhere so the wheel bearings are not lubricated properly, road dirt gets into the bearings, and with the crown wheel not turning the diff gears still turn unless both shafts are pulled, so they are lucky to get much oil.

True but them Merc prop shafts are one heavy son of a ■■■■■ and we are all human.
End of a long day and you dont want to be ■■■■■■■ one of them bloody things about.
Far easier to pull a half shaft.Just a shame he picked the wrong side.
A mistake anybody could make.
Never mind its only a bloody truck at the end of the day.

cav551:

not really as most recovery company’s will cap off the end, diff will free spin and not the shaft in the gearbox, reason why its done is to stop the gearbox bearings wearing (Due to engine not running and no oil been pumped around the gearbox)
And its quicker and safer then climbing under it to remove the prop shaft (if you wanna lay in the road with live traffic be my guest)

if your going to get one pulled in make sure they either drop the prop shaft or only pull the o/s half shaft or you open the door on a whole world of pain.

If its on the motorway you want the Recovery Tech to risk his life pulling the dangerous side to save a bit of work? and sounds like you’re just unlucky as 9 times out of ten with a bit of jiggling they go back in

You shouldn’t have bought an actros anyway, you should have bought an Iveco Eurocargo

K5Project:

cav551:

not really as most recovery company’s will cap off the end, diff will free spin and not the shaft in the gearbox, reason why its done is to stop the gearbox bearings wearing (Due to engine not running and no oil been pumped around the gearbox)
And its quicker and safer then climbing under it to remove the prop shaft (if you wanna lay in the road with live traffic be my guest)

if your going to get one pulled in make sure they either drop the prop shaft or only pull the o/s half shaft or you open the door on a whole world of pain.

If its on the motorway you want the Recovery Tech to risk his life pulling the dangerous side to save a bit of work? and sounds like you’re just unlucky as 9 times out of ten with a bit of jiggling they go back in

A recovery “tech” now. Used to be called a wrecker man when I did it but I suppose every body needs to wear a big hat nowadays

K5Project:

cav551:

Oil being “pumped” round the gearbox?
What you talking about?
Only one reason there is no oil supply and it sure does not rely on a “pump”.

Bking:

K5Project:

cav551:

Oil being “pumped” round the gearbox?
What you talking about?
Only one reason there is no oil supply and it sure does not rely on a “pump”.

not a pump foresay but it needs the gears engaged and turning to disperse oil around the gear box which stops it destroying the bearings on the gears shafts

besides you know what i mean as you’ve posted it on another post :unamused:

Re: towing an automatic
Unread postby Bking » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:26 pm

You should never tow any truck with the transmission connected,Best and easiest way is to pull half shaft( the side that is not linked to the diff lock)
The gearbox relies on splash feed from the layshaft and if you tow a vehicle in nuetral the layshaft does not turn.The mainshaft is still turning because it is connected to the prop.The gears which are in constant mesh with the lay shaft are fixed but the shaft they run on is rotating.This causes the gear bushings to be starved of oil and sieze due to no splash feed.