Accident with our driver. Who is at fault?

Hi. Could you please check the video on YouTube below. Who’s at fault. Thanks

youtu.be/5SiJdEUTqqY

My opinion van driver cut lorry up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And got in his stop gap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lights for the camera veh was RED . Traffic had and was still flowing from the left indicating traffic from the left has right of way.
Camera veh left a lot of room between himself and van in front.
Sorry but camera vehicle clearly in the wrong as he can clearly see a red light which means STOP.

Poor observation by your man,pick up was in front of him before he started to move off and hit him…granted the pick up shouldn’t of pulled in front of him like he did,but he WAS there while your guy was stationary then he drove into him.

Pickup changed lanes so it was his fault.

Have to look at this a few times, thought originally van driver was at fault.

EDIT. Yes, I’d say the van driver is at fault. Your driver is not being held at a red light, the traffic light in front of him is the forward repeater light for the traffic signal which he has already cleared and he is not required to stop at it. The van driver has pulled into the path of traffic which he should have given way to, ignoring the basic rule of “Give way to traffic coming from your right”.

Your driver clearly not looking in front of him when moving off…nearly 3/4 of the pick up truck was in front of him before he hit them at little more than crawling speed.

Pick up driver shouldn’t have just assumed he was ok for the gap…give way to the right and all that…but likewise your driver should have spotted him and stopped.

50/50 for me.

DonutUK:
Your driver clearly not looking in front of him when moving off…nearly 3/4 of the pick up truck was in front of him before he hit them at little more than crawling speed.

Pick up driver shouldn’t have just assumed he was ok for the gap…give way to the right and all that…but likewise your driver should have spotted him and stopped.

50/50 for me.

The windscreen-mounted camera may have seen the pick-up but I’d say it would almost certainly have been blind-spotted for the truck driver as being beneath the line of the dashboard.

coiler:
Pickup changed lanes so it was his fault.

+1

possible lack of observation on trucks part,but his lane was clear no doubt when checking mirrors as moving off…you only have 2 eyes,plus the pickups a prick anyway.
htruck driver should just think himself lucky it wasnt ronnie pickering.

Red light means can’t proceed as far as I am aware.

romik:

well spotted clouseau…tncsi will be awarding gold stars there.
he wasnt going through the red light though.just filling in the space.the red car,and white van man are doing the naughties though.
pickup dude prob thought trucks delay was an invte to jump in…how wrong was he… :smiley:

romik:

He’d already passed the stop line for the lights…

romik:

That is not the red light which controls priority at the junction, it is a repeater light provided solely as an aid to visibility. If you go through an amber light at a crossroads, you don’t block the junction by stopping at the repeater light at the other end of the crossroads.

The pickup guy had green light though, so IMO he isn’t at fault, truck driver should have done his due diligence and checked if anything was coming from left at a busy roundabout. That’s what I would have done (hazard perception and all that).

Truckman1000:
Hi. Could you please check the video on YouTube below. Who’s at fault. Thanks

youtu.be/5SiJdEUTqqY

Pickup 100% wrong imo.

Look at the HWC as it applies to the pickup.

Joining at almost a 90° angle sums up his attitude towards rules and other road users and DD is probably on the money above.

I often wonder if the cab of 4WD’s makes these guys feel more invincible or is it an inability to switch their brains from quarry mode to road mode when on public roads?
Ditto for their parking.

Keep in mind that dash cam view is not the same view as the drivers before attemoting to lay any criticism at door of a driver operating calmly and considerately (no tailgating by trucker for a change) in slow moving traffic.

I think that’s a 50/50 , pick up had the green light so he just filled an available sizeable gap between a stopped van and an equally stopped lorry , but your man should have been more alert and kept up with the traffic and not left any sizeable gap , he had gone through the first light so had the right to carry on around to the next lights, but he left it so long it was a certainty somebody would fill that gap . just look at the traffic ,both in front at the side and down on the A14 , its bloody busy, you have to be alert there if that’s the A14 /A141 at stewkely meadows . once your man stopped , he should have stayed stopped, just wasn’t looking.
I’d be reaming you’re man out and trying to defend him with the insurance at the same time.
tony

If you leave a gap in traffic other vehicles WILL fill it. You can see it every day as people will dive into gaps whether or not they actually want to be in that lane or not they still feel the urge to gain some advantage by filling that gap.

I’m not saying that leaving a gap is a bad thing, far from it, it demonstrates good road behaviour. The issue is that as a professional driver you should anticipate and allow for such behaviour, in this case the standards of both drivers has fallen below par, one driver it should be almost expected of, the other one not.

tonyj105:
I think that’s a 50/50 , pick up had the green light so he just filled an available sizeable gap between a stopped van and an equally stopped lorry , but your man should have been more alert and kept up with the traffic and not left any sizeable gap , he had gone through the first light so had the right to carry on around to the next lights, but he left it so long it was a certainty somebody would fill that gap . just look at the traffic ,both in front at the side and down on the A14 , its bloody busy, you have to be alert there if that’s the A14 /A141 at stewkely meadows . once your man stopped , he should have stayed stopped, just wasn’t looking.
I’d be reaming you’re man out and trying to defend him with the insurance at the same time.
tony

I agree with you that our driver should have stayed stopped and let the other traffic go - this is at least what I do when driving a lorry. In this case I am just finding ways how to fight with the insurance so that way that accident does not come on my insurance.

P.S. I spoke to one policeman today in a port and he said that it is pick up fault so fingers crossed. I will report to this forum with the conclusion from my insurance. Thanks,

Pick up wrong but HGV driver in blame. If this case goes in to court for 100% that will be HGV drivers fault just because he is professional and should expect someone can pull in front, should have checked his mirrors before setting off and most importantly think forward.

There was a lorry driver found guilty of careless driving when woman driver (I think) has hit his lorry while she was joining the motorway. But because he was professional he should have expected an unexperienced driver can be driving on the road and should have adjust speed, change lane… I know it is ridiculous but precedence has been made last year. Ladi