Castellated lock nuts

Recently my present lorry (issued to me, not mine :wink: ) had a new drag link fitted, which was a nice surprise and the steering is more direct as a result, i had mentioned slightly vague steering when i dropped it off for inspection.

However, i had a bit of a shock cos when i looked closer i saw no split pins through the castle cut outs, this is a new (to me) design of lock nut, obviously iā€™ve fitted lots of standard lock nuts with the plastic/nylon inserts in cars vans and pick ups over the years.
How long have these new nuts been out (probably bloody years but i hadnā€™t noticed :unamused: ) and are they just used in lorry world please, was the first time i had come across them.

Castellated lock nuts are pretty much a thing of the past, at least in on the racing cars I work with, not even seen much lock wire in recent years. Except when I do the historic stuff. :laughing:
Everything seems to have a torque setting, some nuts are glued and torqued, (and they donā€™t budge despite working under high loads in intense conditions) some nuts are designed for one use, not just talking about nylocs, but theyā€™ve adopted stuff from the aviation industry.
Obviously racing cars are prepped in conditions more like an operating theatre than a garage, but I suppose the technology works in a normal workshop provided the fitters clean the threads. They do have some pretty clear guidelines on fitting wheels and how they prepare the stud threads.

Havent fitted a track rod/drag link for an age with a split pin and I do loads of the things, though I think some of our dafs still have the split pin but only in the rear drag link joint.

I fitted a new drag link end to a DAF only last week, the nut was as described (shallow castle style) but there was no drilling in the ball joint thread for a split pin. The nut looks like a castle nut but is really a self locking nut, the ears deform slightly as it is tightened. In fact you need to apply significant pressure to keep the taper engaged while tightening otherwise the pin rotates with the nut. Older stock ball joints were drilled and I would then fit a split pin regardless.

Juddian as cav points on the new lock nut looks like a castilatted nut ,you can tell which is which as with the lock nut the castilatted part wont line up with another one ā€¦A daft idea as it is a disaster waiting to happen ,some one will put the castilatted one on a vehicle thinking it is a lock nut

DAF still use the split pin version on LF drag links

This is why I like working on old PSV because you know where you are. Everything important has to be either split pinned or lockwired

Thankyou gents, mustardmitt i did a double take when i first saw that nice shiney new drag link then spotted the nuts in question then spotted no split pinsā€¦you know on a cartoon when the toons eyes come out on stalks arrgh :open_mouth: yep that was me.
Then slinging meself under (oh all right creaking down and shuffling like an old ā– ā– ā– ā–  :blush: ) to check the old mincers werenā€™t deceiving me and looking closer i could see the castles werenā€™t the simple cut out type of yore but appeared to be tapered in, almost digging in to the thread.

Every day a schoolday, ta very much chaps :sunglasses:

Edit, Norb i see your point, when some buggers tired out and some other buggerā€™s dropped a taper locking castle nut, there is definately a possibility of an almighty ā– ā– ā– ā–  up when someone finds said nut but itā€™s one of the old type :open_mouth:

Iā€™ve drilled the axle ends on new ifor Williams and put large split pin through ,the hub nuts go up to 350nm but I still donā€™t trust them .

Punchy Dan:
Iā€™ve drilled the axle ends on new ifor Williams and put large split pin through ,the hub nuts go up to 350nm but I still donā€™t trust them .

Belt and Braces, spot on.

One other thing lads, is everything hub and wheel related now right hand thread, or are there some left hand threads still in service?

Juddian:
Thankyou gents, mustardmitt

Juddian who is mustardmitt ā– ā– ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

norb:

Juddian:
Thankyou gents, mustardmitt

Juddian who is mustardmitt ā– ā– ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Another bloody old fool going as batty as this one :blush:

LOLā€¦I know that feeling

These are called ā€œcrabā€ nuts.They look like like they should have a split pin but the stub has no holes.
The ā€œfingersā€ grip the ball joint end and lock them in position.I can assure you they will not come loose.