Fuel consumption

Hi all, can anyone tell me what what sort of mpg I could expect from a R520 (V8) I have been told that they are particularly poor compared to a 560/580 Is this true or have I been speaking to someone that got the Friday afternoon truck!?

Sorry!

Has anyone out there got an R520…?

What sort of work are you doing? Where are you doing it? How tall is your trailer? Do you have a tail lift? Have you put chrome bars all over the front of the wagon?

More information needed before anyone can help here. I cant though, just brought a Renault.

I have a tanker, running full weight 90% of the time, I am just trying to find out if they have a particularly bad reputation compared to a 560/580 :smiley:

I’ve just got a new s520 with the Miller’s cam in it. Runned at 44 tonnes with a 4.2 metre curtainsider. It’s doing 8.2 mpg but only done 4500km. The R580 bluestream I had did 7.9 mpg and the R560 was the best at 8.5 mpg but that was euro 5. Also the new one drinks adblue.

My 520 is more economical than my 580 on the same work it’s roughly 0.5mpg better! But power wise I can tell a big difference between the 2. My 580 is running at 8.82mpg. Hope this helps

Thank you all for your replies, it would seem that I was speaking to someone who has drivers with lead boots as I was told 4.5 - 6, that’s scary! :laughing: & any other info gratefully received as I have never owned a Scania, had Mercs for last 17 years, & a few other marques prior to that, seems to me that Mercedes don’t want to know owner drivers any more, they’re only interested in fleets.

Have a friend in a 20 month old 520 runs at 44t down to about 30t with a 4.4m trailer, across the M62 a couple of times a week as well as the odd run down to London and he is getting 8mpg. A 560 will give a better return than the 520, seems to be a problem with the 520’s and their mpg someone else pulling a fridge at 44t is only getting 6mpg