Is there an agency who would sub to owner drivers?

Hi,

I am new operator looking for work for a unit. I would like to know if there are agencies who would offer work for owner drivers. If there is an option I would prefer to avoid setting up with Maritime, or Barron Woods, although it would still be better to work with them then loosing money on a unit that is off the road. I have more experience with caged deliveries and supermarket work.

Those of you who have done it, what is it like to working with Maritime and bwd?

I am based near Heathrow and close to the M4.

Would you guys be able to share some advice, and give some pointers to a newbie operator?

Have a great Sunday to all.

That’s Lucas signing out. :slight_smile:

So, you now an Operator with your own Operating license, and your own unit on the road, ready and waiting for work?

Franglais:
So, you now an Operator with your own Operating license, and your own unit on the road, ready and waiting for work?

Hi Franglais,

That is the situation, indeed. I have a unit parked up next to Heathrow ready for takeoff.

Regards,

Lucas

Sorry, no good advice from me. My question was just to clarify the situation.
Good Luck !

You have over night pallet depots West of London in the Perivale area.
The truck is earning double bubble, does night work then a day driver jumps in.

Davies Turner at Dartford to deliver international trailers but you will need continental Suzie adapters .
You tip their UK loads and reload .
Van Bentum Dutch silo tankers from the East coast ports , tip them , drop at port.

MJD ltd for Cola loads out of Edmonton, and Dagenham .

Further afield GMA ltd at Ispwhich.
Waller Ltd at Felixstowe .
Gregory distribution Ltd, anywhere in the UK.

Why start up on your own putting that amount of money time and risk in if you didnt have any work to be going on? Not being critical just curious of your reasonings

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

chainmailguy:
Why start up on your own putting that amount of money time and risk in if you didnt have any work to be going on? Not being critical just curious of your reasonings

I was thinking the very same, but wondering how to put it diplomatically :wink:

I`d advise on finding the work first, then sorting out the “o” licence whilst looking for a truck, its definitely the cheapest route IMO…

Good luck either way

chainmailguy:

Hi Chainmailguy,

Thank you for the question. Transport and trucks are my hobby. I find the process of transporting goods fun,fulfilling, challenging, and entertaining. I also enjoy independence.

I know that I should have arranged for work before setting up, but it was kind of chicken and egg situation. I felt if I would approach companies without having any certain background with dates and at the very least an O-license I would not be taken seriously.

So I thought I will give it my best go and take my chances! No regrets as it has been one of the most exciting and interesting period of my life so far.

Lucas i hope you didnt take my question the wrong way. I was just curious.

The way i understand it (and im probably wrong) youre looking at a start up cost of around 50k give or take to cover your first month. I was just shocked at such a huge leap of faith.

However all props to you pal. Hope it works out for you. Best of luck. Wish i could offer you some advice but unfortunatley i cant :confused:

chainmailguy:

The way i understand it (and im probably wrong) youre looking at a start up cost of around 50k give or take to cover your first month. I was just shocked at such a huge leap of faith.

However all props to you pal. Hope it works out for you. Best of luck. Wish i could offer you some advice but unfortunatley i cant :confused:

Hi Cahainmailguy,

I didn’t take it the wrong way and you are right. 45k to cover the first month. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Lucas

Firstly Lucas well done for following your dream and I honestly wish you every success with your venture. I am struggling to understand however why at this early stage you are even contemplating entrusting your new baby into the hands of an unknown quantity by way of an agency driver?

If it was my new train set I’d be working every hour that God legally sent me, I’d be busting my arse to impress new customers and doing everything to protect and promote my business. To even think of letting someone who isn’t personally known to me loose in my means of making a living wouldn’t enter my mind.

the maoster:
Firstly Lucas well done for following your dream and I honestly wish you every success with your venture. I am struggling to understand however why at this early stage you are even contemplating entrusting your new baby into the hands of an unknown quantity by way of an agency driver?

If it was my new train set I’d be working every hour that God legally sent me, I’d be busting my arse to impress new customers and doing everything to protect and promote my business. To even think of letting someone who isn’t personally known to me loose in my means of making a living wouldn’t enter my mind.

He is after someone [agency] that provides work for ODs, not an agency driver…although it does look like that at first glance…

Personally, DFDS / Gregorys / et al, where he should be looking after having had a think about the question.

He needs work provided, 5/6 days a week, sub-con traction in other words… :wink:

Ah, that clarifies things Stanley. Cheers.

Lucas Schwarts:

chainmailguy:

Transport and trucks are my hobby. I find the process of transporting goods fun,fulfilling, challenging, and entertaining. .

This has to be a wind up, surely? If its not then i wish you all the luck in the world

Me too best of luck to you ,if you got the money to set up and be available you will be more successful quicker than those who have to jump on the pittance per mile tread mill from day one who soon find they can’t get off it .

chaversdad:

Lucas Schwarts:

chainmailguy:

Transport and trucks are my hobby. I find the process of transporting goods fun,fulfilling, challenging, and entertaining. .

This has to be a wind up, surely? If its not then i wish you all the luck in the world

Your comment actually made me giggle Chaversdad.

Because I know that what a pain and stress some day can be. When everything turns out on the wrong way round and the misery never seem to stop. Someone is parked up in the delivery spot, the forklift guys are on break, the tail lift is not folding down, the wretched wheels on the cage is not turning, the bulk door stuck, overloaded cages, the office is complaining about you being late and phone is never stops ringing, items missing or in excess on the truck… :slight_smile:

But… you learn to think and use your head to overcome those challenges, and not buried in a repetitive and boring day to day activity. You meet different people and build relationships, you get to know the beautiful country where you live in, you got to enjoy the colours and shades year round with the ever changing seasons as you driving passed, you are doing a REAL job, you are feeding and dressing people by transporting food and clothes, or helping housing people if you deliver bricks, by being a driver you are part of a community that understand each other more than most that I know of in other professions, and every day is different and has something new to offer in some way.

Of course there are some of us who doing it because we all have to pay the bills but I dare to say that even the ones who hate the role with a passion have never had a day when you are rolling down the motorway, just holding the wheel in your palm, enjoying the cool breeze in your face and have the feeling that life is just good as it is. :slight_smile:

Lucas Schwarts:

chainmailguy:

Hi Cahainmailguy,

I didn’t take it the wrong way and you are right. 45k to cover the first month. :slight_smile:

Kind regards,

Lucas

£45k to cover 1st month??

Are you doing gold bullion traction or What!!![emoji50][emoji850][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Lucas Schwarts:
But… you learn to think and use your head to overcome those challenges, and not buried in a repetitive and boring day to day activity. You meet different people and build relationships, you get to know the beautiful country where you live in, you got to enjoy the colours and shades year round with the ever changing seasons as you driving passed, you are doing a REAL job, you are feeding and dressing people by transporting food and clothes, or helping housing people if you deliver bricks, by being a driver you are part of a community that understand each other more than most that I know of in other professions, and every day is different and has something new to offer in some way.

I feel I should be making some snarky comment about romantic notions or philosophical twaddle…but that pretty much sums up why I do it :blush: :smiley: .

Good luck Lucas, hope you enjoy the ride :wink:

Big Truck:

Lucas Schwarts:

chainmailguy:

Hi Cahainmailguy,

Kind regards,

Lucas

£45k to cover 1st month??

Are you doing gold bullion traction or What!!![emoji50][emoji850][emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

The capital needed to get set up.

albion:

Lucas Schwarts:

I feel I should be making some snarky comment about romantic notions or philosophical twaddle…but that pretty much sums up why I do it :blush: :smiley: .

Good luck Lucas, hope you enjoy the ride :wink:

Sshhh !
You youngsters are in danger of dropping the moaning, griping, and generally complaining average of TNUK.
Those of us who have been here longer than you two put together are really trying hard to stop newcomers. We don’t want to be put out to grass. So just stop looking at the bright side, OK?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk