Scania 08 gearbox problems

Hi, I’ve got a 2008 Scania R480, 3 pedal opticruise. The problem I’m having is sometimes it won’t go into certain gears so you have to change manually up or down to get it into a gear. Anyone else had this problem and knows what it is?

Cheers

I had an issue where truck was jumping out of gear. Same spec truck and box. Only realistic solution for that was recon box. About £3500 for box and fitting from my local dealer. Think they done it overnight too, so no downtime.
Rang a few of these ‘gearbox experts’ who adverise in trade press, and it was all ‘drop it off and we will take a look’. Once you calculate any potential savings against the loss of work, and inconvenience, dealership seemed the best option for me. Not had a problem since, and the only problem I have had with it in 5 yrs of running it.

Janos:
I had an issue where truck was jumping out of gear. Same spec truck and box. Only realistic solution for that was recon box. About £3500 for box and fitting from my local dealer. Think they done it overnight too, so no downtime.
Rang a few of these ‘gearbox experts’ who adverise in trade press, and it was all ‘drop it off and we will take a look’. Once you calculate any potential savings against the loss of work, and inconvenience, dealership seemed the best option for me. Not had a problem since, and the only problem I have had with it in 5 yrs of running it.

Thanks for the reply, I’ve had someone tell me that it could be the gearbox ECU. Mine doesn’t jump out of gear, it just doesn’t go into gear sometimes… Like going from 7th to 8th it won’t go into 8th, so I have to either manually put it into 9th… or if going up a hill fully loaded can be a bit of a c**t when it doesn’t go into gear :blush:

How about getting scania to have a look and diagnose?

coiler:
How about getting scania to have a look and diagnose?

I will end up doing that, just asking if anyone has had the same problem on here to try and eliminate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just pop into local dealer. You won’t be the first with this problem, so they will probably tell you straight away what it probably is. Mine is on a service contract, so had plenty of warning of fault and cost. I know how frustrating it is when the box does not respond as you expect it too, especially in tricky situations. Hopefully it will be an electrical problem rather than a mechanical one. Let us know what it turns out to be.

The only time the opticruise i drove went wrong was fortunately while on holiday, it was electrical fault some unit on the gearbox had overheated, regular fault the mechanic attending brought one with him so quick fix at the roadside.