Buying my first second hand truck!

The experience of another customer is well worth relating. Moving into artics for the first time they have decided to go for a genuine manufacturer approved, dealer maintained used vehicle which I understand is about 4 years old. I do not know the accumulated mileage. On the strength of this it has been bought unseen on the condition it has a full 12 months MOT. The vehicle had been promised for delivery last week. In the meantime it has travelled from one end of the country to the other for Dealer MOT preparation. I am told that there is now a problem, since the vehicle requires a lot of expensive work done before the local dealer is prepared to present it at a test station. The arguments have now begun over who picks up the bill for this work. Certainly not the purchaser, but two dealers and the manufacturer are reported to be arguing the toss. Meanwhile to great annoyance, work has not started even though the vehicle was promised for November 1st.

There is no great problem in this instance because the purchaser has historic influence with the local dealer. Neither is there any valid criticism about buying unseen or from afar, given the supposed top quality status of a manufacturer approved used vehicle. In fact the purchaser is probably in a stronger position because there is no possibility of claiming that the vehicle has been bought ‘as seen’.

However a new start, first time purchaser having no standing relationship with his local dealer would likely find himself in a very different situation.

So for the moment we await developments, like once ready how long a wait for a test appointment?