Daf cf75 2005 ABS fault

Hi all I’ve got an orange warning light saying abs truck warning come up two days ago - brakes work 100% when road is dry but when the roads wet she randomly skids (so she’s off the road for safety ) called local daf dealer out really helpful guy told me near side abs is shorting out - he said it’s probably a chaffed wire sorting out - they sold me a new piece of loom with the male abs plug on one end - I can fiddle it trough and plastic tie it myself but wondered if anyone knows where I need to look for the old wires once they’ve gone on to the cab - also he said they mainly chaff where the loom drops down in the passenger well - on the swivel point is that right thanks as always guys

No need to go back to the cab, open the loom approx where it runs over the axle and trace your sensor wiring back until you come to two yellow crimp/heatshrink style connectors cut a little back from these and join your new loom in, the new loom is actually a Wabco universal trailer loom with male plug one end and two spades the other, tough plastic/rubber ■■■■■■, sharp side cutters make life easier, start to finish 30 mins, make a nice job 60 minutes.
Make sure you use the nice crimp heatshrink connectors.
Also quite common the the two pins in the sensor plug to corrode due to water ingress.

Thanks tricky how come the daf lads never mentioned this - just been parked up for the day as bad weather so gonna jump on it now - just over the axle you say - I hope you’re right it’s gonna make life easier cheers

Havent a clue why they didnt mention it but thats how we did it at the daf dealer for the 8.5 yrs I worked there, but if you think about it daf wiring can be pants but as a rule if it doesnt move/rub its doesnt really go wrong, so where the cable follows the brake hose is constantly flexing that where the fault will lay, I have even tried to cut open the rubbery cable to find the break in the past but gave up as its a real sod to work with.

Trickydick:
Havent a clue why they didnt mention it but thats how we did it at the daf dealer for the 8.5 yrs I worked there, but if you think about it daf wiring can be pants but as a rule if it doesnt move/rub its doesnt really go wrong, so where the cable follows the brake hose is constantly flexing that where the fault will lay, I have even tried to cut open the rubbery cable to find the break in the past but gave up as its a real sod to work with.

The rubbery one is often shielded so cutting or splicing into it can cause problems with the quality of the signal as you say always best to go back to an existing connector.

Trickydick ,you have done well ,reason I never posted as all the op said was N/S…No mention if front or rear …As we both know ,the rear is a simple loom from the sensor to the modulator so plug on to the sensor and a plug on to the modulator …The front is different plug on to the sensor ,and in the loom is 2 heat shrinks ,though there is also the 2 heatshrinks for the low pad warning wires …If the op had given more info as to weather it was the front or rear ,then I would have given a response with wire numbers ,pin numbers etc…But it was a bit like work Drivers defect "Leak " without a clue as to wether it is the engine oil ,gearbox diff ,coolant , fuel , steering etc …Then when we don’t fix it ,as it is under warranty and warranty do not pay diagnosis time ,the next defect usually says , "still leaking " lol

Own Account Driver:

Trickydick:

The rubbery one is often shielded so cutting or splicing into it can cause problems with the quality of the signal as you say always best to go back to an existing connector.

Dont remember it being shielded, like I said above the repair loom is in fact the old Wabco trailer abs sensor extension loom from about 20 years ago, Wabco VarioC I think
We used the same looms when we had to do a load of recall work on LFs I cant remember exactly what it was we did but basically the job was to run all new sensor looms up to the front of the cab why I have no idea, I never liked LFs.
Come to think of it we used to do quite a lot of sensor loom repairs on the LF models, it was quicker to lay in the new loom ratehr than try and find/repair the break in that stupid cable wrap affair that always cracked, quality trucks that they were :grimacing:

The conduit the loom ran through was sawing through the loom

Thanks for your responses sorry Norb it was the n/s/rear - it has a ground to earth - I tried to go through the wiring loom last night it was a horrid job as it was raining hard and have no cover I checked as far as I dared but could not find any joints heat shrunk or not - there are some numbers on the wires in the fuse box which are the same coloured wires which are twisted grey and black wires 4629 - 4630 - 4631 - 4632 are these the rear abs sensor wires if so which numbers go to the rear near side sensor please - sorry for lack of information and thanks for help so far

leedrivesatruck:
Thanks for your responses sorry Norb it was the n/s/rear - it has a ground to earth - I tried to go through the wiring loom last night it was a horrid job as it was raining hard and have no cover I checked as far as I dared but could not find any joints heat shrunk or not - there are some numbers on the wires in the fuse box which are the same coloured wires which are twisted grey and black wires 4629 - 4630 - 4631 - 4632 are these the rear abs sensor wires if so which numbers go to the rear near side sensor please - sorry for lack of information and thanks for help so far

4628 and 4629 are the 2 wires from plug 56B on the bulkhead pins 7 and 8