Roadway containers @Leeds

Hi all, has any ownerdriver done any work for Roadway Containers out of their Leeds Depot.weekly earnings dont seem very high but if its all really local I suppose the mileage wont be great. Advice please. :question:

A mate of mine works for them on day runs only - he says it is always quiet on Mondays but keep him busy the rest of the time - 2 runs everyday - not sure on the money but he likes the work

Is he employed by them or an OD?

Paul

i used to work for freightliner opposite and used to chat to the p&o drivers and a few subbies came off p&o onto freightliner and the general word was were they were crap!!!.. what they used to do was keep you locals on crap money so you would go to the ports on thursday and friday to make your money up or just blantley tell you theres no work but there is a southampton going if you want it.

He is an OD

blockman i would sit and wait a while mate and see what happens when maersk get in the saddle full time,as we hear at mo all o/d will have to supply their own skellys after new year ■■?as p&o “maersk” will be getting rid of most of there skellys ■■? rate wise??.. leeds tip bradford approx £90.00. poss re ~load the box extra payment, but you will have some days… silly waiting times at the crap liner as jd will tell you , esp when old bob is on the window Q time some days at freightliner 2~4 hours that is before you even get your box off, have a good think bud if this is the job for you lots “normally” waiting time to load / un~load, but in that breath it carnt be that bad as there is a few on there isnt there, daz,

globby 480:
rate wise??.. leeds tip bradford approx £90.00.

You’re going to need 3 of those a day to make it pay then, that doesn’t sound likely especially considering:

globby 480:
Q time some days at freightliner 2~4 hours that is before you even get your box off,

Doesn’t sound worth it based on that evidence, but I could well be missing something.

Paul

repton:

globby 480:
rate wise??.. leeds tip bradford approx £90.00.

You’re going to need 3 of those a day to make it pay then, that doesn’t sound likely especially considering:

globby 480:
Q time some days at freightliner 2~4 hours that is before you even get your box off,

Doesn’t sound worth it based on that evidence, but I could well be missing something.

Paul

belive me when freightliner is running behind you can easily wait 2/3 hrs to get your box of and if they train is getting ready to leave and there are queing out the gate and half a mile up the road then f/liner will send people up the queue to get the boxes that are booked on that train and stuff everybody else.
freightliners way is they arent happy unless theres a big queue and if there isnt a queue then they will sow down till there is one.
the way the subbies at freightliner make their money is they are on the " scheme " which is your lorry can only work for f/liner and if theres no work you cant go and work for anybody else you have to avalible for f/liner for that you are guaranteed 1200 a week.
those rates are crap but some of the subbies are running some right wagons in there thou so it cant be that bad.
ask dodgy daz and he will tell you about the wagons thackery for out pocklington they are running topliners and the big bull nosed scanias on f/liner so they are getting money from somewhere but then again their gaffer sometimes sits in f/liner and make sure his drivers take any job offered.

I can confirm that JD! the fannyliner is a nightmare at times, hours can pass by and ive seen a few crack up in there :laughing: , and p&o can be as bad, well brum is diabolical! the motors in brum were on a scheme whereby if painted in fliner colours, it was about £1600 a week. most of them aint on that, and run old tackle and eke a living out, it aint great!

jessicas dad:
the way the subbies at freightliner make their money is they are on the " scheme " which is your lorry can only work for f/liner and if theres no work you cant go and work for anybody else you have to avalible for f/liner for that you are guaranteed 1200 a week

I guess at that if you’re only doing a couple of hundred kms a day on local stuff then the fuel/tyre/repair bill will be low enough that it will just about pay, but it still seems a bit on the tight side to me.

Paul.

yep as jd says buds, some decent tackle gets in f.liner, as thackers i think its boiling down to the old saying “ALL FLASH NO CASH” but on that note some people must be making a living at it or they wouldnt be doing it, itsd just the waiting and standing time, local work pays better than distance i.e 2 x leeds is better than load leeds~felix, less fuel etc,etc,
freight liner is a bloody ■■■■■ hole but we gotta go in everyday :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ,