External transport manager prices?

Is anyone willing to give me a rough idea or tell me how much they are paying or charging for an external tm. I have a mate starting up and i have agreed to help him out and be his tm but not sure what sort of price i should be charging for this??.

This would be for 1 possibly two trucks but no more as i have my own o license and dont want to restrict myself to much.

I’m my own TM so I can’t say but you can figure it out quite easily.

Take an hourly rate you think is reasonable, say £15 an hour for the four hours a week you are required to put aside for managing his ‘fleet’, (though no doubt you will just add on most of the admin tasks to time you already spend running your own.) That gives you £60. Add in Employers NI etc, according to my accountant 13.8% on top, puts you at £68.28 a week plus VAT if necessary. If you want your business to make a profit on the time you are selling, add that on too so say you want to make 20% profit, (would be nice wouldn’t it??) £68.28 x 1.2 = £81.94 a week plus VAT.

The numbers picked are just out of the air here, I’m not saying a TM should be on £15 an hour. Though as a full timer that would equate to a salary of £37,500, well above the industry average of £29,679. Going on the average you should be paid £11.89 an hour.

When I Was Externally Specified As TM On A Licence I Based My Charges On That Operators OCRS And Number Of Vehicles.

For A Green Operator 350 Per Month For The First Vehicle 75 Per Month For Each Vehicle After That. I Based My Charges On Amber / Red Operators After Having A Full DVSA Compliance Audit Carried Out By An Outside Auditor At Said Operators Expense Before Deciding If

A) That Operator Can Be Compliant
B) How Much Work Is Involved In Returning That Operator To An Acceptable Level Of Compliance
C) How Likely It Is They Will Stay Compliant And Protect Their Licence And My CPC.

As You Can Probably Tell, I Have Been Bitten Once Before - Therefore My Advice Is Don’t Do It, Though If Done Right Across Two Or Three Operators With Several Vehicles, A Good Standard Of Living Can Be Achieved.

Good Luck With It.

nsmith1180:
I’m my own TM so I can’t say but you can figure it out quite easily.

Take an hourly rate you think is reasonable, say £15 an hour for the four hours a week you are required to put aside for managing his ‘fleet’, (though no doubt you will just add on most of the admin tasks to time you already spend running your own.) That gives you £60. Add in Employers NI etc, according to my accountant 13.8% on top, puts you at £68.28 a week plus VAT if necessary. If you want your business to make a profit on the time you are selling, add that on too so say you want to make 20% profit, (would be nice wouldn’t it??) £68.28 x 1.2 = £81.94 a week plus VAT.

The numbers picked are just out of the air here, I’m not saying a TM should be on £15 an hour. Though as a full timer that would equate to a salary of £37,500, well above the industry average of £29,679. Going on the average you should be paid £11.89 an hour.

. Yes i am on my own and always have been thats why im asking for an idea. To be honest i am only doing it as a favour for him to get up and running and eventually either get anoth tm or do the exams himself. As hes a mate i dont want to rip him off but then also dont want to be checking up on it all for free as i have enough to deal with myself.
Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_H:
When I Was Externally Specified As TM On A Licence I Based My Charges On That Operators OCRS And Number Of Vehicles.

For A Green Operator 350 Per Month For The First Vehicle 75 Per Month For Each Vehicle After That. I Based My Charges On Amber / Red Operators After Having A Full DVSA Compliance Audit Carried Out By An Outside Auditor At Said Operators Expense Before Deciding If

A) That Operator Can Be Compliant
B) How Much Work Is Involved In Returning That Operator To An Acceptable Level Of Compliance
C) How Likely It Is They Will Stay Compliant And Protect Their Licence And My CPC.

As You Can Probably Tell, I Have Been Bitten Once Before - Therefore My Advice Is Don’t Do It, Though If Done Right Across Two Or Three Operators With Several Vehicles, A Good Standard Of Living Can Be Achieved.

Good Luck With It.

Im doing this as a favour for him to get up and running as i have my own to sort aswell so im not worried about his compliance as he wants to do everything properly. I will obviously be keeping a close eye on things and checking everything but it is very easy to get bitten and find yourself infront of the traffic commisioner. He will eventually be doing his exams i think but we have agreed that if i find myself in a position where i need the hours for my own as i currently am still driving then he will find another tm. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk