Changing HGV to plant?

We have a 32.000kg 8 wheeler registered, taxed and MOT’d as a HGV it has now got a volumetric professionally fitted on the back.

I have the task of getting the vehicle changed from a HGV into a plant or special plant vehicle.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start this process ?

Try contacting DVSA Technical at Bristol or visiting the premises of the nearest old DVSA test station to you, the test lane and enforcement staff are still run from the old stations. Apart from the excise duty position I can’t see much advantage if the vehicle has a design weight of 32000kg, you still have to keep the thing roadworthy. If your business has an O licence the DVSA can still inspect any company vehicle on your premises during a visit.

You mite have a problem doing this ,there is a cut off date or something ,recently they wouldn’t let an x reg 8 wheeler volumetric change to plant from Hgv ,I don’t know why but the firm ended up selling it and buying another .

I understand there is some new legislation coming out next May time regarding volumetric lorries, I think its a bit of a hot potato

Why are they an item of plant but a grab tipper isn’t?

According to this article it is an LGV not mobile plant.

commercialmotor.com/news/dvs … ric-mixers

Muckaway:
Why are they an item of plant but a grab tipper isn’t?

Due to them producing a product rather then collecting or delivering one , fill you body with ballast and cement and use the grab to mix it and you could be the same too :smiley: