What I've been offered - appreciate your opinion

Scribe:
Hi guys;

I’m a 29 year driver with a CPC National Freight I took in 1990/91. I’ve not (as yet) used my CPC to gain an operators license. After explaining all this to an acquaintance of mine during a conversation about driver shortages he says to me “Why not become an owner driver? We’re currently looking for reliable experienced subbies.”

The job is with a well known operator, with 5 or 6 depots dotted around the country.

The work is all tautliner. The rate I’ve been offered is £330 a day basic just for turning up, plus 50p for every mile according to the tracker report. That’s for traction only. Their trailers, no rental.

If they park me in a corner for the day I earn a flat £330 regardless.

Daily average is +/- 450, mainly motorway miles, delivering to regular destinations, so its fair to suggest I could soon become familiar with the drops, hopefully saving time and money. The work is 7 days so there’s scope for the truck to work with a driver when I’m not working.

Although the work isn’t top weight, a 3 axle unit is a necessity, with their tri axle trailers, for the sake of back loads.

Payment terms are weekly after thirty days.

As mentioned I’m a lorry driver and I know driving lorries. But owner driving is a whole new ball game.

SO my question here is, how does it sound as a deal? What questions should I be asking?

Thanks for your input.

Basically 50p per mile is the cost of diesel per mile and your profit is limited to £330 minus whatever your standing costs + salary is. Does not matter what mileage you do if your standing costs are like Smithy says then your profit is ocked to the figure of approx £27 * 5 = £135 per week. Your choice whether you see it as a good thing or not