Duplicate Vehicle Check Books

We have duplicate check books in our 3 lorries which are being completed correctly. One book has now been completed and the top white copies are with the office. A check will be made that all entries in the duplicate book are accounted for. A new duplicate book has been issued for said lorry. Do you guys leave the used book in the lorry so any person requiring them can see a record back over the last couple of months if pulled over? or should i keep the used books and white top copies at the office? Thanks in advance.

Keep them in the office unless you’re an owner driver have a file for the Vehicle reg and put test certificates and that type of thing in.

Thought it might be a good idea to leave the last completed one in trucks for VOSA or such like to see a recent history. Don’t see alot about this online but thanks for your feedback.

As I understand it there is no legal requirement of daily vehicle defect history being needed at a roadside check, only the company (O-licence holder) is required to provide historical proof of defects and repairs. therefore you should hand in all completed defect duplicate books and there is no need at all for ‘duplicate’ defect duplicate books.

Thanks for the feedback Reef. What i have decided is for completed books to be returned and kept at the HO, the top white defect sheets showing defects and rectification notes will be attached to PMI sheets and the nil defect sheets returned by the drivers will be binned. The books will be kept for 18 months, i always add on 3 months onto the required timescale because i want to :smiley:

I was told at work only last week you need to keep all the old books for 15 months, that will be chuckle worthy with over 150 trucks!