Is this true?

Two of my premiums have leaking windscreens. Just rang autoglass who quoted me a price for remove and repair,and then i was told if they break it during the process i am liable for the cost of the new one. Surely that cannot be correct. Anyone else heard or dealt with this.

Sounds like they intend to send one bloke out to do the change and cover themselves by blaming you if he drops it :smiley:

i use these never had a problem yet

a1-windscreens.co.uk/contact/

Jake_Brake:
Two of my premiums have leaking windscreens. Just rang autoglass who quoted me a price for remove and repair,and then i was told if they break it during the process i am liable for the cost of the new one. Surely that cannot be correct. Anyone else heard or dealt with this.

I never use those big national coverage firms , I always a local one man operation for all glass jobs be it repairs ,new screen or remove / refit ,all the bigger companies just want to rob you and the fitters just want to get the job too quick thus not doing a good job and having to come back when the leaks start .

Jake_Brake:

what did they quote you?

Same problem with a car screen, its bloody awkward cutting a screen out, very good chance of it cracking.

You’re better off silicone sealing round the things and leaving them be till they get chipped or cracked in the usual way.

By the way, as Punchy, forget the national advertisers they talk bloody monopoly money, try ringing round local small screen people or someone like Diamond screens if they are in your area.

Fair enough really. I’ve done quite a few windscreens in my time and I wouldn’t be prepared to remove one and guarantee 100% it would be reused. Also because of the size of a truck windscreen you can’t have one arm outside and one inside and use the cheese wire to cut it out easily like on a passenger car.

Priest:

Jake_Brake:

what did they quote you?

175 for the re-fit and if they break it i pay 406 for a new windshield. I have a feeling they will send some rookie engineer on the jo and its going to go south quick. I will have a look around and see if there are any local guys here that can sort it for me.

New screens for dafs old shape cf and the the scania 4 series are about 150 mark fitted, cant see the renault being much different.
We have them changed quite a bit at work for annual test as by the time you add in a couple of repairs a new screen is the logical way to go.

Also do the silicone trick, but do it from the inside as well as the outside if possible.

I’ve been told the same for taking the screen out, that was for water leaking into a Renault Premium, but on further investigation it appeared not to be the screen. However it was awhile ago and can’t remember if it turned out it be the roof hatch or the sun visor mounts. The repair meant removing the headlining so as it was a very small leak and an old truck that was seldom used we left it.

I wouldn’t be paying 400+ for a windscreen on a premium. The Mercedes needs one before it goes back and my local man is gonna do it for £180 fitted + VAT.

As for Muckles’ leak, the most common place on the premium and then T is the sun visor. They often forget a rubber washer or two when fitting it.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Standard practise to charge for a cracked screen, screens easily crack from a stone chip when flexed. Auto Glass used to charge the bodyshop I worked in £35 to remove and refit any piece of glass, and if they broke it, they replaced it.