Operators licence

Morning all
I am just going through the process of setting myself up as an owner driver/small operator, loads of stuff I need to do but getting it all done and timed correctly seems to be a chore if your new to it.
Question is if my O licence application has got as far as being published in the As and Ds am I basically guaranteed its going to be granted? I have my log in with the Vehicle Operators Licensing Service but it just says “Under Consideration” I don’t want to commit to any more expenditure yet, or waste people time if the licence application is going to drag on for ever. Its now looking like early 2018 as starting beginning of December 2017 is pointless. I know it is what it is, but its just painful not knowing whats happening or how long the process is.
Thanks…

steptoe:
Morning all
I am just going through the process of setting myself up as an owner driver/small operator, loads of stuff I need to do but getting it all done and timed correctly seems to be a chore if your new to it.
Question is if my O licence application has got as far as being published in the As and Ds am I basically guaranteed its going to be granted? I have my log in with the Vehicle Operators Licensing Service but it just says “Under Consideration” I don’t want to commit to any more expenditure yet, or waste people time if the licence application is going to drag on for ever. Its now looking like early 2018 as starting beginning of December 2017 is pointless. I know it is what it is, but its just painful not knowing whats happening or how long the process is.
Thanks…

Nothing guaranteed until the 3 week notice period is up mate I’m afraid, but if you’ve done your homework and there are no issues with the operating centre and the rest of he package, you should be ok. Publication in A&D’s just puts it out to invite objections/representations, in other words, due process. If you’ve applied for interim authority then you may be up and running 3-4 weeks after submitting the application, although it may take a little longer if the caseworkers are particularly busy. When they get back to you granting an interim or the full licence…that’s when you’re off!

If you have the name of the caseworker your application is assigned to, give them a cordial ring each week and chase up progress, this can work wonders in shaving days/weeks off your wait. I live near the CLO and I’m forever calling in to query the progress of applications for my clients.

Hoping I’ve done my home work. I was assuming everything on my part was correct as its got this far and no queries from the CLO. I know my operating centre, finances and maintenance arrangements are fine. I have no convictions so cant see any objections. I have been given a case worker so I will call him after the 3 week period is up, (13th October) Suppose I’m just like an excited kid and want to get on with it.

steptoe:
Hoping I’ve done my home work. I was assuming everything on my part was correct as its got this far and no queries from the CLO. I know my operating centre, finances and maintenance arrangements are fine. I have no convictions so cant see any objections. I have been given a case worker so I will call him after the 3 week period is up, (13th October) Suppose I’m just like an excited kid and want to get on with it.

If the CLO hasn’t got back to you with a few questions and points to clarify that a good sign that the application is straight forward, just a waiting time and hoping you’ll get no objections.

My experience of doing several applications over the years, is that the CLO case workers are actually very helpful, I believe they say upto 9 weeks from application to licence granted, but as Hellonwheels says no harm in a friendly phone call after a reasonable period.

I’d suggest making a brief courtesy call now and introducing yourself to your case worker.

I will give him a call in to he morning then, can’t do any harm.

I’ve got a quick question about ‘ACCESS’ to a vehicle. I might misunderstand the whole idea of ‘ACCESS’ but I can’t buy a vehicle without ‘O’ licence so how can I have ‘access’ to vehicle before I get the ‘O’ licence?

Second question is can I change the operating centre later on when I find a better one? At the moment nothing is available in the area where I intend to work.

You can initially apply for an O’licence and give the vehicle details later,

From the GV79G guidance form

If you know the details of the vehicles you wish to operate, you must provide them now, otherwise you should tick the box to confirm that you are not submitting vehicle details at this time.

You can change your operating centre, but unless things have changed in the last year or so, it will be a major variation to your O’licence, which means applying for the change and advertising the fact in the local rag.

There are some conditions where you can be exempted advertising that you’re applying to use an operating centre, but you have to meet a very small band of criteria.
A company I worked for changed from an LLP to Ltd, this meant a new O’licence as it was considered a completely new company, but as we were using an existing operating centre with no changes in vehicles allowed, they agreed we were exempted advertising. (Changing the O’licence was relatively easy compared to dealing with some companies where we had to change account details)

That is very handy. Thank you. I believe (from what i red) nowadays you don’t have to advertise again if you are moving same amount of vehicles/trailers to an ‘established’ centre.
Kind regards.

Oh, and one more thing…the owner of a truck park I spoke to about renting a space for operating centre, quoted me £1k plus VAT for documents, maps etc that he has to submit to VOSA. Is that right? I thought that you only pay for application and issue of the licence + advert in local newspaper but it turns to be more hidden charges (it’s like flying with Ryanair) :smiling_face:

Driver Pete:
Oh, and one more thing…the owner of a truck park I spoke to about renting a space for operating centre, quoted me £1k plus VAT for documents, maps etc that he has to submit to VOSA. Is that right? I thought that you only pay for application and issue of the licence + advert in local newspaper but it turns to be more hidden charges (it’s like flying with Ryanair) [WHITE SMILING FACE]

Tell him to stick his £1k up his arse!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Driver Pete:
Oh, and one more thing…the owner of a truck park I spoke to about renting a space for operating centre, quoted me £1k plus VAT for documents, maps etc that he has to submit to VOSA. Is that right? I thought that you only pay for application and issue of the licence + advert in local newspaper but it turns to be more hidden charges (it’s like flying with Ryanair) :smiling_face:

All you need from the land owner is a letter confirming that you are authorised to park X Vehicles and X Trailers on his land. My bloke took a deposit of £50.00 to issue the letter which was credited off the first months invoice when I started operating.

nsmith1180:

Driver Pete:

All you need from the land owner is a letter confirming that you are authorised to park X Vehicles and X Trailers on his land. My bloke took a deposit of £50.00 to issue the letter which was credited off the first months invoice when I started operating.

The owner of the yard I used had to supply a large scale map showing where exactly in the yard I was allocated and a copy of the rental agreement but I wasn’t charged anything for this. I doubt it took him more than an hour tops to supply everything the TC required so £1,000 does sound excessive.

Driver Pete:
I’ve got a quick question about ‘ACCESS’ to a vehicle. I might misunderstand the whole idea of ‘ACCESS’ but I can’t buy a vehicle without ‘O’ licence so how can I have ‘access’ to vehicle before I get the ‘O’ licence?

When I sent in my application I sent a covering letter and in it I explained exactly that, that I could not commit to buying a vehicle until I heard whether my application had been granted, and I never heard anything more about it.

Just have a question. Once Caseworker sent an application to the Traffic Commissioner (I understand its a final stage), is it likely to be granted?? Or if its something they are not happy with - is the TC involved or Caseworker Team dealing with it?