Up to date maritime subbie pay?

So recently an associate revealed to me that him and a mate are going into a partnership together.

They plan to lease hire a truck each, sub for maritime, and only pull one container each a day.

Now I have been studying to ground for long my enough to know that maritime don’t pay well. But he seems to think they will make money, wether he thinks he’ll make a fortune or not is another matter. I don’t know him well enough to care how motivated he is.

I emailed the subbie email address on maritime but I’m away staying in a hotel so I’m sat stewing over it in the pub next door.

I’m not asking to rub it in his face, I just genuinely can’t see how he could walk away with more than 500-600 a week profit.hardly worth it when a decent transport company will easily pay that.

If u do a search on here it’s around 1.35 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that’s what I’m finding. But wondered if anyone had any recent numbers. And even that’s top dollar and not their overall price as I’m seeing that the ppm depends on the mileage

Maritime , LKW WALTER subcontractor scheme

r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ … are_type=t

Says it all in there

And I work containers as a job there ain’t much money in it. Allot of waiting around and I know subbies on maritime they complain none stop how bad they are

To make a decent living on containers you would need to do local jobs mainly like no out of a 50 mile radius from port and so at least 3 jobs a day as if it’s local u get percentage not per mile plus trailer rental and fuel and such

I’m gonna get my pen and calculator out to decifer all that and see what the crack is.

When they say that Shpeal about the fuel. Does that mean that a fuel “charge” is added on for every load or is that added on to your pay?

Nah I can’t see how it works.

My costings has him at a loss even at the 1600 miles a week they promise and including discounted fuel.

Might work better for someone with an outright old truck maybe, or just someone who has the know how to source his own work instead of subbie, is that how you are making it work?

They would probably make more if they just went and got a job driving for maritime, unless as mentioned they can bang out 2/3 locals day in/day out, NOT the one box they say.

I’m on with Wincanton and I average £2200-2500 a week doing five days tramping and an average of nine boxes a week.

On trailer hire, Collease are cheaper than both Maritime and Wincanton.

On unit hire, you might make a bit more profit if you use the one thats in the back of commercial motor all the time offering a Renault Premium for 295 a week on a three month minimum. If your mates are doing day work a premium will be fine At the moment I’m paying 380 a week for a 64 plate Bigspace Benz.

I don’t see how you could make it pay on one box a day given that on a directors salary, (1k a month) which is what I am on at the moment, mine costs £201 a day to run including a driver. Put a driver on medium pay in it, and that jumps to £277 a day.

A subcontractor who works for us (Wincanton) out of teesport clears 2200 -2500 he does all local jobs will not go outside a 50mile radius enless he has a backload. Otherwise he does local scrap work/ or to Argos and back 3 times

That way your using less fuel if your staying local and no overnight costs either

And he brought his truck outright second hand so no rental fees either

Dannyboy84:

There is still depreciation to factor in.

nsmith1180:

Dannyboy84:

Plus the fact the “yoch” gotta be replaced at some point with similar!!!

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Yeah I agree. The value of truck will go down still and need replacing at some point.

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Dannyboy84:

And r&m which is included in my payment.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Dannyboy84:

And r&m which is included in my payment.

I noticed that premium deal u said higher up also included tyres which I thought was good… what’s the terms of your tyre arrangement smithy?

All I pay for is tyres, glass insurance and fuel.