Reasons to start up on own

I ran my own truck for four years, mainly because it was difficult to find a decent employed job in east Kent, what with the demise of international haulage which was the local specialty until the flip-flops rocked up, plus I had some spare cash knocking about following the breakdown of my marriage and the sale of my house.

I largely subcontracted, I was hoping to pick up more of my own work but this never happened, in part I suppose because I am not sufficiently driven and/or well connected.

I packed it in because of exterior events. My connection to the local area became less important as my children grew and became less dependent on me, my relationship with my new partner withered, and I realised a long held dream of owning and living aboard a narrowboat which was based in the east Midlands where agency work is plentiful and pays well. I was also getting older and wanted to alter my work/ life balance, running your own truck is hard work when there is a mountain of mail to deal with every weekend. Now I just work a few months a year and ■■■■ off on the boat for the majority of the time. I’m in Middlewich tonight, on my way to the Anderton Boat Lift. I’m perennially skint, but I’m happier than I have ever been.

Did I make a lot of money running a truck? No, not really, more like a wage I suppose.

Did I enjoy being an owner driver? Yes, enormously.

Do I regret doing it? No, not for a New York minute. It was right for me at that stage of my life. But life is change etc.

If you have an itch then my advice is to scratch it. Get your truck on the road and don’t listen to the haters. :wink: