FowlerWelch/Turners subbies?

Does anybody know if FowlerWelch or Turners take on subbies direct or do you have to work via a bigger haulier??

Any idea of rates??

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Big Truck:
Does anybody know if FowlerWelch or Turners take on subbies direct or do you have to work via a bigger haulier??

Any idea of rates??

fowler welch do but its 60 days month end payment and you will work for peanuts

Anyone can register to work for both of these firms. I have worked for Turners a little in the past but I found the rates so bad it wasnt worth the time involved.
I use Fowlers sometimes to fill in the gaps between proper jobs. Their rates are very poor and are slow payers. But they almost always have a job when i need and I know that they will pay when its due.
I have my own fridge trailers and work spot hire only so have no idea what full time traction subbies earn. I hope this is helpfull.

I can understand the want of any O/D wishing for a trip to pay both ways as it makes financial sense, but after having done most things in road transport apart from car transporters I feel qualified to say that the scope for massive delays in tipping or loading fridge motors by far outweighs any potential returns, far better to price your outbound load higher to make running back empty viable.

I’ve seen the rates our lot (XPO) pay subbies (apart from Scotland curiously) I’d give them a massive swerve.

Interestingly our lot pay “hot shot” van deliveries a rate that artic owners would give their right arm for.

i runs vans as well and my vans earn better profit than my trucks £3k last week on one truck,one of my vans did £2600 :sunglasses: £400 differance, makes me wounder why i bought 3 trucks sometimes

the maoster:
I can understand the want of any O/D wishing for a trip to pay both ways as it makes financial sense, but after having done most things in road transport apart from car transporters I feel qualified to say that the scope for massive delays in tipping or loading fridge motors by far outweighs any potential returns, far better to price your outbound load higher to make running back empty viable.

I’ve seen the rates our lot (XPO) pay subbies (apart from Scotland curiously) I’d give them a massive swerve.

Interestingly our lot pay “hot shot” van deliveries a rate that artic owners would give their right arm for.

My old boss / mentor had a cracking saying regarding this situation - “They will pay a lot for not much, but not much for a lot” :wink: …so bloody true :open_mouth:

Freshlinc, pay about the same.

Thx guys,
I thought along those lines.

Would a rough guide rate for them be loaded/empty £1.30mile or bit more??

Big truck
Many East European owned British reg trucks with cheap drivers now doing traction out of Spalding. Plus Kreis trucks galore and other rock bottom price continental hauliers doing this work.
Freshlinc pay a little bit more but often make ‘mistakes’ with payments. Saying that I have friends on there full time who seen to do well.
I do Ok pulling for these firms and many more including XPO but I think as a full time traction haulier it would be a strugle to make much.

I run some full time subbies on fridge work and I can agree my own rates with them. It’s tramping work during the week, we provide the trailers. One of the subbies supplements his trampers at weekend with his other drivers who want extra day shifts. Last weekend and on Bank Holiday Monday he put 4 extra ones on each day, so he must be happy with the rates. The weekend drivers do a 400 miles round trip and it includes tipping at an RDC. They do it comfortably in their driving and duty hours.

goldfinger if you get short, give me a shout got my own fridge trailers

Thx again lads for your input.[emoji106]

Back in 2012 I was working for RJ Jones and the boss preferred to have us all doing Fowlers than RJ’s own work, it paid better.

We were based in Desborough so lost two hours at the start of the week getting to Spalding from the yard. Worked all week out of Spalding doing various RDCs, including a fair bit of London. According to the chief they were paying around 2.5k a week ish.

Bonuses were, pulled Fowlers trailers, if they were empty we could park em in the Yard over the weekend so didn’t have dead mileage at both ends of the week. Parking most nights were are FW Spalding, free, secure, with a 24 hour permanently sited sandwich bar and showers. In about six months on this I parked up three times with a running fridge behind me. Two of those times it was just short of Spalding and within an hour an FW unit had come to collect it.

Downsides. Long days. A smart driver will turn up at the office at the allotted start time, find out how far behind the warehouse is running, then go get breakfast and not put the card in until the load was ready to go. A lot of Aldi and Lidl work.

nsmith1180:
Back in 2012 I was working for RJ Jones and the boss preferred to have us all doing Fowlers than RJ’s own work, it paid better.

We were based in Desborough so lost two hours at the start of the week getting to Spalding from the yard. Worked all week out of Spalding doing various RDCs, including a fair bit of London. According to the chief they were paying around 2.5k a week ish.

Bonuses were, pulled Fowlers trailers, if they were empty we could park em in the Yard over the weekend so didn’t have dead mileage at both ends of the week. Parking most nights were are FW Spalding, free, secure, with a 24 hour permanently sited sandwich bar and showers. In about six months on this I parked up three times with a running fridge behind me. Two of those times it was just short of Spalding and within an hour an FW unit had come to collect it.

Downsides. Long days. A mug driver will turn up at the office at the allotted start time, find out how far behind the warehouse is running, then go get breakfast and not put the card in until the load was ready to go. A lot of Aldi and Lidl work.

There, that’s better!

The smart driver gets well in with the office staff and regularly arranges with one of them the night before for an alarm call to suit turning up for when the load really is going to be ready, he certainly doesn’t want breakfast in the middle of the night. There-in lies the means of ensuring a proper night’s rest. Arriving at midnight or 1am and only leaving the yard some two hours later results in a stressful day rushing around wondering constantly whether you will get back or not, while all the time trying to keep awake. What you definitely don’t need additionally is to be working for some just about surviving two/three vehicle outfit which simply has to have the vehicle back for the next day.