Mixed driving

Hi.

Hopefully the Operators could help me with this.

If an employee drives a HGV on tacho twice a week, and a van without tacho 3 times a week. Does the TM need to add those hours not on tacho into Tachomaster?

My driving records seem to be all over but no one seems to be bothered. I keep a log of hours myself but my TM isn’t interested in seeing them.

What is the law around this, or best practice?.

Thanks

My understanding is that time spent driving a vehicle, like a van under 3.5t, not under the scope of EU drivers hours regs counts as other work. But if you’ve driven a vehicle in scope of the regs you come under eu regs for that week for daily and weekly rest, so no driving a van for 9 hours on other work then doing 9 hours truck driving. So you don’t need to put driving hours into tachomaster, but you should be recording your working hours and rest periods, ideally on the tacho, but dvsa will accept a timesheet or diary.

Surely you would need to input the other work van driving hours so that the system can work out if the daily and weekly rests have been complied with :question:

We run a mixed fleet. I changed to using RHA analysis last year and what we do is keep manual records alongside the downloaded info. I can then manually check that weekend and daily rests and WTD has been complied with.

It seems messy to me, but I’ve twice checked with the RHA it’s OK and having had a pull from DVSA where they quibbled, Backhouse Jones got involved and they confirmed manual entries are OK.

By manual records, it’s similar to a timesheet but with columns for work, driving, POA and ferry as it makes it clearer to read.

ROG is quite right. The van driving is OTHER WORK as it is actually DOMESTIC REGULATED DRIVING. It should be input into the Tacho analysis system to make sure that Weekly and Daily Rest limits are being complied with.

Ideally, the driver should manually input this driving onto their Digital card or at the very least complete 2 copies of a Digital print out with the driving clearly marked (either as Out of Scope Driving or OtHER WORK). For completeness, put on the mileages as well for the vehicle.

Operators think that as the vehicle is under the EC Reg. limit of 3.5 tonnes that any activity in such vehicles is irrelevant. IT IS NOT.

Thanks.

I understood that it was classed as other work. The problem is my TM seems to think that doing a shift in a truck and then ‘just nipping’ out in the van for a couple of collections is acceptable, because according to Tachomaster I have loads of hours left for the week.
Many an argument has been had to the point of disciplinary for refusing to do a task he had asked of me.
I have started doing manual entries on the VU now just to make sure he can’t ask me to do it.