Merc Atego 815 - 2002. not powerfull?

Hi
I have a Merc Atego 815 2002
It appears a little gutless as most big hills it drops down to 20mph telegraph hill in devon springs to mind.
it is convereted to a motorhome and has a garage for motorbikes
is it normal for them to be this slow ?
apart from carrying less weight is there a way to improve its hill asent abilities?
I would attach a pic but no idea how to…

cheers
Mark

I know nowt about those trucks, but what weight are you running at? That’ll help those who do know about em.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

I don’t know what weight. I suppose I should put it over a weigh bridge when loaded.

Might be surprised at how much weight that’s carrying, the body is pretty hefty. Will probably have about 150 horses, add in it’s a Merc as well, and it’ll never be a flying machine uphill.

It’s a massive body for a 7.5 tonner, I would be surprised if he is on the limit or overloaded.
However these engines are never been known to fly, but run forever if maintained properly.
They drink a bit of oil, so keep your eye on that.
Very strong chassis, good brakes and easy electrics, but it will take its time to get you where you want to be.
It’s for comfort not for speeding

I don’t think there is a possibility to put a bigger engine in there, and they are not very tuneable.

you can re map the engine as I intend to do with my 1218 atego this also runs out of puff, I have spoken to some that have had it done and its much better, although you do have to explain your not after top speed just mid range power. if mines done first I will voice the results on here.

Iirc most 7.5t trucks can carry 3 ton ish at best and that body has got to be well up there.
Of course what you have there may be bigger than a 7.5 tonner?

I cannot think of any vehicle plated at more than 7.5 tonnes which runs on six stud hubs/wheels.

olympus51342:
I don’t know what weight. I suppose I should put it over a weigh bridge when loaded.

Might be happier in your ignorance TBH.

cav551:
I cannot think of any vehicle plated at more than 7.5 tonnes which runs on six stud hubs/wheels.

Our MAN 12 tonners all have six stud hubs. A quick Google image search yielded plenty of photos of Renault 12T lorries with the same arrangement. But no Mercedes trucks.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Are the air and fuel filters in good order?

I used to have exactly the same when I was racing bikes. Overbodied, underengined, it’ll never fly up hills believe me.

Trickydick:
Iirc most 7.5t trucks can carry 3 ton ish at best and that body has got to be well up there.
Of course what you have there may be bigger than a 7.5 tonner?

The clue in Mercedes is the first half of the model number.

815 refers to a design weight of 8 tonnes and 150 horses. My Actros is a 2551, so in Germany a weight of 25 tonnes for the unit only and 510 horses.

As to the lack of power, compare your numbers to a 2.0 BiTurbo Astra.

You have 150 ponies, 450 lbft torque and a bodyless weight of around 5.5 tonnes.

The astra has 210 ponies, 350 torques and a curb weight of around 1200 kilos. Your engine is also more than twice the size of the astra.

Now I know you never intended to play keep up with the SRi but with less power, only a third more torque and knocking on for five times the weight, plus body plus bikes plus food plus missus, (no comments made or implied about that last bit). It’s going to struggle like hell downhill, let alone on a climb.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

As nsmith has just said the model nmber tells is that it’s definitely a 7.5 tonner, and by the look of that body, not the best guide, it’s overweight before you load it. Whether you want to remain in blissfull ignorance or weigh it is up to you. The 150 was the smallest engine, and most common, available at the time, although I seem to recall there being several options available upto a 240 six cylinder, of course every power increase increased the unladen weight slightly.

cav551:

I used to think the same until we had some mercs come in and I thought bloody hell they are big for 6 stud 7.5tonners of course they werent 7.5 ton at all.

Cant really expect much from what is in reality a four cylinder car engine can you.

Bking:
Cant really expect much from what is in reality a four cylinder car engine can you.

Go on then - which cars have ever been fitted with a 4+ litre 4 cylinder engine?

Hav a look at the inter cooler first , Its aluminium with plastic ends and where they are formed together , crimped over , usually rot and then blow the rubber seal out , lie underneath and with a torch look up between cooler and rad and see if there’s any oil build up running down the seams. We’ve fitted three coolers in th last few weeks , all with the same fault

Roymondo:

Bking:

Go on then - which cars have ever been fitted with a 4+ litre 4 cylinder engine?

None they usually put a six cylinder four litre short stroke engine engine in instead of some long stroke agricultural donkey thats about as much good as a chocolate tea pot.
Last forever as long as you dont need to get some where before you die of boredom.

So it’s not a four cylinder car engine at all, is it?