Scania Engines

Hi all,

Thinking about what to replace the hired Merc with and I’m currently sitting in a New Generation Scania. Quite frankly, aside from the fact the 450 engine being more Bartleby than Red Rum, it’s the best truck I’ve ever driven.

Its that engine that’s the issue. The 450 struggles at weight, so much so that at 38t I was down to 35mph past Newbury on the A34. More torque required.

My options are 500 or the 580 V8. The 500 only has 200 more torques so I cant see that doing a massive amount to counter the lack of uphill pace. The V8 however has 650 more, thats a bloody Bentley more under the bonnet, throw in the extra two cylinders and it should offer more stable torque.

Can anyone offer me comparative MPGs on these two vs the 450 on similar work?

Please save me from the temptation of a Renault!

I know that you won’t be able to offer me numbers for my work but if you could say that you have a 450 doing 9mpg on your work, a 500 doing x and a V8 doing y it should give me a rough idea of how much more motion lotion the bigger motors will use.

the v8 will be more expensive but resale value will be atleast £20.000 more than the merc, a v8 driven correctly at 38t i would be expecting at least the high 9’s but into the 10’s

Hummm, so actually better than the 450 is returning then. This could get expensive!

Try fh16.

biggriffin:
Try fh16.

I would do if it wasn’t a lot more expensive and maintained by Crossroads Rotherham, the most incompetent dealer in the network.

On a side note, should ‘BIGGRIFFIN’ be advocating a Volvo with that name?

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

nsmith1180:

biggriffin:
Try fh16.

I would do if it wasn’t a lot more expensive and maintained by Crossroads Rotherham, the most incompetent dealer in the network.

On a side note, should ‘BIGGRIFFIN’ be advocating a Volvo with that name?

Or maybe a Bedford?

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

It’s a bloody lorry not a formula one car.

cav551:
It’s a bloody lorry not a formula one car.

Understood but no lorry should be struggling to maintain 30mph approach the A34 at Newbury while 6 tonnes under weight.

Add in the more power = less strain on hills argument you get quicker journeys and better, (or at least tolerable) np.

Why not an S520 as she’s a V8 but not same dough as S580■■

There really that much ££££s on Wincanton boxes to move to a new S580 inside your 1st year as O/D!!![emoji52]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Your Merc a 450■■
The newer 480 supposed to be a diff yoke altogether!!!

Be right bit cheaper than Scania granted no where near same residuals.[emoji6]

Big Truck:
Why not an S520 as she’s a V8 but not same dough as S580■■

There really that much ££££s on Wincanton boxes to move to a new S580 inside your 1st year as O/D!!![emoji52]

That’d what discussions with the dealer today will tell me. But a brand new R450 Highline is a fiver a week less than the 64 Bigspace I’m in now. A 500 is £20 a week more but seems to me to be almost worth it.

If a baby V8 is less than £30ish a week more it would be money well spent in my opinion given how much time I spend heavier than 40 tonnes.

Also I’m not going to commit today. I’m stuck with the Benz for another 4 months so I have time to think it over properly. I love the new Scania, and should her dealer and I agree a suitable dowry there could been leasing bells in our future, (but not the patter of tiny mid-lifts) but I’m not going to decide until I’ve thunk about it and decided it it’s true love or just a holiday romance!

Those Scania figures don’t look too bad compared to the rented Merc.
Would maybe hazard a guess that the S580 would be more than £30week higher as it would be “desirable” but maybe surprised!!!

Do the figures stack up brand new V8 on £1.30/40mile on boxes or are the rumoured mileage figures well out??

Big Truck:
Would maybe hazard a guess that the S580 would be more than £30week higher as it would be “desirable” but maybe surprised!!!

Do the figures stack up brand new V8 on £1.30/40mile on boxes or are the rumoured mileage figures well out??

This is week 4 on boxes so I should have enough data now to work out a mileage rate, I’ll check that later for you. And if the numbers add up on the Mercedes, they should be fairly close on the scania. As we say, probably £25k ish more to buy but tonnes of second hand O/d curb appeal so will likely keep 20 at the end of the line.

Throw in the fact it’s Euro 6C and will be hitting the used market just as the ULEZs are starting to bit on older trucks and. All signs are encouraging.

A week ago you were panicking about an unpaid 300 quid invoice and this week your pricing brand new V8 Scanias…

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

This is week 4 on boxes so I should have enough data now to work out a mileage rate, I’ll check that later for you. And if the numbers add up on the Mercedes, they should be fairly close on the scania. As we say, probably £25k ish more to buy but tonnes of second hand O/d curb appeal so will likely keep 20 at the end of the line.

Throw in the fact it’s Euro 6C and will be hitting the used market just as the ULEZs are starting to bit on older trucks and. All signs are encouraging.

Dunno mate but I’d be playing the game a wee bit longer than 4weeks before I shelled out for a new V8!!![emoji28] [emoji6]

As for the scania the hills on the 34 your only going to gain about 5-10 mph with a v8 going up there but the fuel used will be much more as for fuel return id expect low to mid 8’s out of v8 the 500 would be much better on fuel have you looked at the Volvo 500 rakes about 70k to bed in but good on fuel and a massive saving on the both 500 and 580 Scania s

alix776:
As for the scania the hills on the 34 your only going to gain about 5-10 mph with a v8 going up there but the fuel used will be much more as for fuel return id expect low to mid 8’s out of v8 the 500 would be much better on fuel have you looked at the Volvo 500 rakes about 70k to bed in but good on fuel and a massive saving on the both 500 and 580 Scania s

I’m considering the Scania 500 but the local Volvo dealer is shocking so I won’t consider a Volvo.

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

Dunno mate but I’d be playing the game a wee bit longer than 4weeks before I shelled out for a new V8!!![emoji28] [emoji6]

You make a fair point but no matter what I pull, I’m gonna need a truck to pull it with. My Citroën is good, but it lacks a fifth wheel you see.

My tastes in work run heavy. I like brick and block, I like flatbed work and I like the boxes, each for different reasons. All three require a bit of poke to get shifting, (boxes a little less bit hey!) so a 450 may not be the solution I’m looking for.

I’ve got time to let the excitement die down though. I’m committed to the Actros until at least December and it’s hired, so once the six months is up I can bounce it on month to month until what I want turns up.

chaversdad:
A week ago you were panicking about an unpaid 300 quid invoice and this week your pricing brand new V8 Scanias…

I worry when anybody doesn’t pay up. Look after the pennies…

As for the Scania it’s about forward planning and being ready. The Mercedes has to go some time, and I dont want to be messing about with it into the next financial year. If I can make the switch to the truck I want to stay with sooner all the better.

nsmith1180:

alix776:

I’m considering the Scania 500 but the local Volvo dealer is shocking so I won’t consider a Volvo.

Big Truck:

nsmith1180:

Big Truck:

You make a fair point but no matter what I pull, I’m gonna need a truck to pull it with. My Citroën is good, but it lacks a fifth wheel you see.

My tastes in work run heavy. I like brick and block, I like flatbed work and I like the boxes, each for different reasons. All three require a bit of poke to get shifting, (boxes a little less bit hey!) so a 450 may not be the solution I’m looking for.

I’ve got time to let the excitement die down though. I’m committed to the Actros until at least December and it’s hired, so once the six months is up I can bounce it on month to month until what I want turns up.

I hear that hence why going all Scania again I’m told
I hear that

Id avoid the v8 your talking best part of 150k id keep hiring for another 12-18 months at least